Liked: 9

Default formula high school

http://www.formulahighschool.com/home.html

OMG. I just saw one of these on display next to the road on my way to work. I turned around to see who's formula first it was. It's not quite a formula first, but really impressive for a high school project. I saw the blue KI one in the photo. Very nice looking bodywork. Like the website says, where was this when I was in high school.

Liked: 309

Default No kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by lenhart05 View Post
    Like the website says, where was this when I was in high school.
    I would have been all over this "back in the day"!
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 22

Wow really cool! I just graduated, too bad I didnt see this last year!

Liked: 50

Gee, I wonder where those cars came from.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4359

SugarGrove Custom Cars (http://www.sugargrovecars.com/) donated the FST body molds initially and sponsors part of the program. Each high school built and developed their own car with Briggs and Stratton engines. It is a big deal in the Milwaukee area with some festivities at Road America.

The body on my Problemchild FST car, now FV, was built by high school kids, and was great quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvqFneh0ars

I believe that they have now moved on to a Sports Racer program.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 0

Mr. Rice is correct. Student teams create their own frame from our "spec" CAD model. Most teams also learn how to lay up their own body shells under the guidance of composite experts. By SGCC's generous donation of the molds to the program and Briggs & Stratton's donation of engines, we continue to grow. This year we had 16 cars at the Briggs & Stratton Motorplex. We even branched out to another state with a team coming from Indiana. In 7 hours at the track, we timed 241 student attempts with only 14 DNF's.

Some teams have asked, what's the next step? Last year we were able to purchase the body plug and mold for the original Palatov DP-1. In seven months, teams from three different schools created our version of this car called the WiSTEM Type 1 Roadster. This car has full independent front and rear suspension, bell-crank shocks, race prepped 40 HP, 7000 RPM V-twin, CVT clutch and dual front caliper brakes.

So teams can get their first experience building a FHS car, then when they feel comfortable and have the funds, they can build a Type 1 with the increased complexity of the suspension and drivetrain.

In all, the goal of the program is the develop our future manufacturing, engineering and technical leaders, while having fun doing it! Students also find out that racing a car fast around the track takes thinking and skill.

We will have a booth at the ALMS race at Road America, Aug 18-20. We'll have a FHS car and the Type 1 on display. Feel free to stop by and say hello. I'm more than willing to share my knowledge with others if they would like to get a FHS team/program going in their own state.

Thread Information