Thread: Car weight

Liked: 84

Default Car weight

There are a bunch of FB chassis out there and weight seems to be most crutial, I'm curious about the weight of all the different cars. Is anyone at minimum weight right now other than the Citation guys? Maybe we can get a list of different cars and weights together for comparison. I can get within 20lbs. In my DP04 if I could get my fat butt done to 180lbs. and can get within 10lbs. with some tweaks here and there. Ben Cooper is just about at min. weight in our car. Anyway i know for some its a sore spot but if you could list you make-model of car and weight it would be interesting and informative.

Liked: 10

Default Phoenix

The F1K-10 weighs well under 800 lbs wet, and can be brought down to ~775 complete (with seat, data and all the other bits that most manufacturers don't include when stating car weight) with a couple of factory offered options. That means making minimum weight for a 225 lb driver!

Liked: 0

09-RFR F1000

Rolled accross the scales after Grattan Nat race.

1072lb total with 1.5 gallons of fuel onboard.

Driver weight 190lb

Still running the 8" Fronts 10" Rear Wheels

Terribly over weight!

Working hard to get down to a fighting weight!

Nicho

Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Roberts View Post
    The F1K-10 weighs well under 800 lbs wet, and can be brought down to ~775 complete (with seat, data and all the other bits that most manufacturers don't include when stating car weight) with a couple of factory offered options. That means making minimum weight for a 225 lb driver!
    [FONT=Verdana]awesome and impressive. Is this the newest version? I was told by Nick Belling that the Phoenix that runs out west with them in the pro series is way over 1100lbs. I know that the car changed pretty significantly over the last few years.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by nicho View Post
    09-RFR F1000

Rolled accross the scales after Grattan Nat race.

1072lb total with 1.5 gallons of fuel onboard.

Driver weight 190lb

Still running the 8" Fronts 10" Rear Wheels

Terribly over weight!

Working hard to get down to a fighting weight!

Nicho
    get with Glenn Cooper and Nick Belling, they got there cars down to within 20lbs (they are lighter than 190lbs though). I believe.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    [FONT=Verdana] I was told by Nick Belling that the Phoenix that runs out west with them in the pro series is way over 1100lbs. I know that the car changed pretty significantly over the last few years.[/FONT]

must have a 300 lb driver

Liked: 7

I think Nick may be trying to sell cars. NO way is the Phoenix over 1100 lbs. My sherman tank only weighs 1120 with a 200 lb. driver, aluminum wheels, and a steel spool.

Jerry

Liked: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    must have a 300 lb driver
    John is not 300 lbs, he actually quite fit. However, he is just that he is built like Paul Bunyan! John chose the Phoenix because our cockpit was big enough to accommodate him. He also has a shifting system that adds over 20lbs.
    Last edited by Wright D; 06.30.11 at 1:19 PM.
    Dustin Wright
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Liked: 1

Refer to Keith Roberts' post above. I have crewed for Keith and I can verify that he has absolutely no problem making minimum weight in his Phoenix. It is definitely one of the lightest FB cars out there.

Being 72 pounds over min weight in any FB is definitely not a good thing.

Liked: 151

Does his car actually weigh over 1100 lbs?

The answer to the OP is going to vary from car to car. The geartronics adds about 16 pounds and a dry sump weighs more than a wet sump.

Some drivers will have done more to get their car weight down than others.

I know that the Stohr FB's with small drivers are near minimum weight, I don't know about any of the bigger guys driving them.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

We started out at 760 without driver in the Citation, plus 240 or so lb. driver to be right at 1000. With the addition of Geartronics, dry sump, PFC calipers, etc. it ended up closer to 780.

Liked: 273

Default Edge Engineering car weight

Our car weighs 800 lbs with 1.5 gallons gas and that includes a shifting system that adds 17 lbs. to the weight.

We've had no problem making minimum weight. I weigh 190lbs. suited up.

I can personally tell you that the Phoenix chassis is by far the lightest car out there. I've had one in my shop and it is light.

Those that are carrying around more than an extra 20lbs are at a serious disadvantage.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 21

Default Car on scales

Below is a video of one of our cars running on the scale pad....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNUHfla3nzQ
    Dustin Wright
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    We started out at 760 without driver in the Citation, plus 240 or so lb. driver to be right at 1000. With the addition of Geartronics, dry sump, PFC calipers, etc. it ended up closer to 780.

I wish I had taken a picture of the scale readout at VIR when Schweitz went across the scale at 1003 at the end of the race.

How much was he in the Piper?

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar

At the Road Atlanta F2000 weekend in the Piper, he went across the scales flashing back and forth between 1210 and 1211 on a 1210 minimum. If you mean the Piper F1000, I can't remember.

At the runoffs, the FB was closer to 1023 or so with him in it due to all the extra stuff that was added. He's lost 25 lbs or so since then, though.

No way, no how could we ever be 762 with full fuel like the Phoenix in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Wright D View Post
    Below is a video of one of our cars running on the scale pad....
    There you go folks, proof. Not many builders that will go to this extent. This should motivate anyone sitting on the fence to buy a new chassis.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Gary, you a Phoenix car salesman now?

When are you going to get out of the shop and back on the track? Miller's coming up in a month and that should be a real bender!

Liked: 2

Default I ain't a Phoenix salesman, but ---

-- I believe that car is one very sweet design. Light chassis, slightly raised nose, conventional suspension geometry that's been developed for years in search of mechanical grip. I really hope we get to see equal drivers go head to head one day
    -- one in a Phoenix, one in a Citation. I really wonder what kind of results we'd see in that kind of face-off...

Chris Crowe

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Ah....competition....would definitely like to see more manufacturer's involved. It's one of the things that makes this class more interesting than others. It probably has more active manufacturers involved than any other open wheel class except F1. 10 manufactuers and counting.

Chris how's the work going on your car? When will we see your TapaCat on track? Are you going to make it to Portland?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Crowe View Post
    -- I believe that car is one very sweet design. Light chassis, slightly raised nose, conventional suspension geometry that's been developed for years in search of mechanical grip. I really hope we get to see equal drivers go head to head one day
    -- one in a Phoenix, one in a Citation. I really wonder what kind of results we'd see in that kind of face-off...

Chris Crowe
    Keith Roberts is a two time runoffs winner, excellent at car prep, track record holder in FC at Road Atlanta and a very good driver. He also has a Phoenix in SEDIV

It hasn't worked out for him to get to really race Brandon, but we should see if that car is capable of turning equivalent lap times in FB next year probably. Keith is not entered for the upcoming regional and it will be too hot to be really fast (same problem Brandon had in May).

Liked: 1

Time will tell, but in my opinion the Phoenix has the potential to be very quick. What it needs at this point is more testing and development to find the sweet spot in aero, springs, dampers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    Gary, you a Phoenix car salesman now?

When are you going to get out of the shop and back on the track? Miller's coming up in a month and that should be a real bender!
    Well I guess I should be......I have all the Phoenix tooling here in my shop now. But we will save the rest for a press release.

Portland:
    Won't make it, I'm busy making bicycle frames for Kyle Obendorf. Really we've been just hammered with work and I'm making hay while the sun shines.

MILLER:
    I will FOR SURE be at Miller...it's my second favorite track now.

We are working on a new car for 2012 and it will be at ALL of the PRO RACES next year and hopefully a second car as a rental.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar

Currently own the 2007 Phoenix FK1-07 F1000 production car #2....

Weighs in at 790 lbs without driver and very little fuel in the tank.

8's in front 10's in rear with 22 lbs of air in tires.

Kodiak wheels.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Default Oh yeah, that's it!

Just drop a few pounds out'a them tars to make your lower weight objective.

Simple ...

Rick:

I am the guy who needs to lose the weight. 6' and 243lbs on the weight. The car still rides great, and the fit is comfortable. Afterall it's a Phoenix.

Add in nice custom beaded seat molded around my butt and back, and the when the car was built I flew over to Phoenix RW, and the guys made custom measurements for leg length, and curvature (angle) of the arms to the steering column. It's a comfortable ride. And a blast to drive.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Default 'Phoenix RW'

Where'd you fly into?

First google hit was a race walking group, second had to do with bathroom fixtures or something...

Phoenix RW are the good guys over at Phoenix Race Works, the guys who build the Phoenix F1000's located in Phoenix, AZ.

They don't make bathroom fixtures, but I bet they could design some good ones.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Default Doh! Of course it is

Richard,

I've been working 7-12's the last two weeks, and it's starting to show...
    But, after 18 months of unemployment sloth, the bank account is looking better!
    Feels great to be off now for the 4th.

Thanks,

Rick

Thread Information