Liked: 67

Default New Oil cooler and Filter Block - FST (FV)

Here are a couple of photos of a new cooler and filter block made for MRC by SR Racing. The block positions the cooler in line with the direction of the car. The cooler is angled about 25 degrees from vertical. It is about 3/4 of an inch off center of the case to driver's left. The top of the tilted cooler lands a bit forward of the vertical plane defined by the split between the motor and transmission.

Many thanks to Jim and Greg Schings for their expertise to get this new design implemented. For more information, contact MRC or SR Racing <sracing.com>.

Jim

Liked: 49

That looks pretty neat So is the oil cooler supporting the entire fiberglass intake piece? Or is there something else that I'm not seeing?

My car has good oil temps and I really wouldn't need something like this, but I could see myself doing it just cause it looks cool.. Eventually!

Liked: 2

VERY cool!

Lance

Tiago,

Yes, the scoops are supported primarily by the cooler and located by the base of the air cleaner. The internal scoop (black) is also captured between the base of the air cleaner and the hose clampe that seals it to the carb. It is surprisingly solid, but I have only run the one weekend with this set up.

Just to clarify...

SR racing is the supplier for the oil blocks. The post was mostly about it.

I have a mold and supplier for the over head scoop but the internal one is a one-off. Depending on the interest, I could have a proper mold made and sell the scoops as a pair but there is no plan to do so anytime soon.

Jim

Liked: 0

so is that block and cooler designed for your car or is it generic? Could I use it on my Citation?

Cost?

Very cool - no pun intended. or maybe it was
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Bob,

The block and cooler (stock VW) could be used on any car as long as it does not hit any chassis bracing, shock, headers, etc. specific to that car. Contact Jim at SR for pricing of the block and cooler.

Jim

Liked: 0

Thanks Jim - looks like a nice piece and simple to deal with. Will have to look at the bracing of Citation and take some measurements.

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 151

Default Comparison

Jim

Was there any difference in oil temperature now that you blow the air straight through the cooler rather than your similar setup where you turned the air 90 degrees? I was over 80 degrees at Waterford so it should be a good yardstick.

Liked: 34

Default Modifications

Can the block be modified for custom applications? The 25 degree lay back angle to too great for my car as the oil cooler will be touching the headers.

I would need it to be about half that or around 12 degrees or so. Otherwise it is perfect and would love to get one. I'm assuming there is a CAD drawing for CNC manufacture.

Robert,

I can't say the oil temps I saw at WH were particularly impressive. Possibly due to the nature of the track. I saw temps rise throughout the race to 110C and spiking during the FCY higher than that. It will be interesting to compare temps when I go to tracks where I have used my current head scoops before but with the new block.

Allan,

You would have to talk to SR about custom angles. I don't think it is all that easy to make different angles without more complicated machining.

Jim

Liked: 190

Allan,

Look at the above photos closely. The top tipped back point of the cooler is still forward of the engine case to trans mounting flange. Jim's cooler is in general much further forward than the Evo cooler block before any angle tipping begins. Unless your header primaries come forward of the engine/trans flange, Jim's block should fit.

Bill
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Thread Information