Thread: Shifter Mystery

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default Shifter Mystery

So I noticed in the photos on the F1000 Pro Series website there was a DSR that appears to have a Pro-Shift PS3 system with an "interesting" label on the dash.

From the Pro-Shift website:

Pro-Shift link

It says:

Auto Upshift at pre-programmed max power RPM, press and hold upshift paddle or button (programmable for all upshifts)

The sticker on the gentleman's dash (see attached image) says:

"Hold upshift paddle 5 sec. before selecting gear."

Draw your own conclusions. Is auto shifting legal for DSRs? Wonder if any FBs are using this system....

Liked: 273

Could this simply be the neutral find for selecting first gear? I have something similar built into my system.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 5

that how you activate the proshift electric solenoid ram. its a safety feature. if you dont do it it wont shift gears until you a do.

I am not familiar enough with the Pro Shift PS3 system. Are you saying to get it into gear from neutral, one must hold the paddle for 5 sec? How can holding the upshift paddle be used for both enabling auto upshift and engaging 1st from neutral? BTW with geartronics there is an interlock button that you hold while depressing the upshift paddle to get into 1st gear when you are in neutral. If that truly is the Pro Shift procedure for getting into gear, I can imagine if you spin and stall, it could potentially be a really long 5 sec sitting in the middle of the track if you end up in in neutral.

I was just looking at the photos on f1000proseries.com and saw that label, so I googled "Proshift PS3 hold paddle" to try and find out what it meant.

Liked: 84

I'm sure Jon Lewis can get down to the bottom of this, they are one of his sponsors and I'm sure they'll clear it up

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    I am not familiar enough with the Pro Shift PS3 system. Are you saying to get it into gear from neutral, one must hold the paddle for 5 sec? How can holding the upshift paddle be used for both enabling auto upshift and engaging 1st from neutral? BTW with geartronics there is an interlock button that you hold while depressing the upshift paddle to get into 1st gear when you are in neutral. If that truly is the Pro Shift procedure for getting into gear, I can imagine if you spin and stall, it could potentially be a really long 5 sec sitting in the middle of the track if you end up in in neutral.

I was just looking at the photos on f1000proseries.com and saw that label, so I googled "Proshift PS3 hold paddle" to try and find out what it meant.

only have to do it after ignition is started, hold it for 5 seconds ram is activated safety feature off and its shifting as usual after that . if you shut the ignition off you will need to do it again. friend had a car with it and atleast once a event he would scream that the car shifter is bad and i would have to remind him did he remeber to activate it(hold for the 5 seconds).presto shifter works again. i dont like those shifters with the rams, give me cables

Well that explains it, thanks.

Don't worry, the day of the cable shifter may well be upon us.

F1000champ

Default Pro-Shift PS3

Benny is correct, but it is not a 5 sec proceedure. Once the car is turned on, all you need to do is click both paddles at the same time to arm the system. It is a safety feature so that it won't go into gear if you are starting it from outside the car and happen to hit the shifter.

The PS3 does have the capability to have a pre-programmed upshift, but it has to be enabled (comes with it unabled) and can be easily policed in parc ferme by plugging in the laptop and checking to see if this feature has been enabled. It's a very easy proceedure to check and enforce.

Sounds like the 5 sec hold isn't just to get into gear then....

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Obviously these systems can be programed to enter a different mode by selecting a sequence of inputs. In the older Ferrari F360 challenge cars you pull both paddles in to select neutral, foot on the brake pedal while in neutral selects 1st and puts the clutch into the launch mode---at least that's the way it worked on the one I drove--now I wonder if that's the way they were all programed.

Enforcement: If one can simply hold a paddle for 5 secs to enable a different mode, or pull both at the same time or hit the brake while holding both (as above) or whatever combintation that wouldn't normaly be encountered while on track, what's to prevent them from doing the same thing after a session while in impound to go back to normal/legal mode?

F1000champ

What I'm saying is that you don't need to wait 5 seconds if you click both paddles at thye same time. It's a safety feature either way.

F1000champ

Clicking the paddles does not change the mode. It's simply the safety mechanism for getting into gear from neutral.

Changing the mode requires you to plug in a laptop and make changes. In the F1K Series, no one is allowed to plug in a lap top once qualifying or a race has been started to the point where it is released from parc ferme.

Quote Originally Posted by F1KSeries View Post
    Clicking the paddles does not change the mode. It's simply the safety mechanism for getting into gear from neutral..
    Then why does his sticker say "Hold Upshift Paddle 5 sec. before selecting gear." And why does the website say you hold the upshift paddle to enable auto upshift? To me that seems to be unrelated to clicking both paddles to enable selecting 1st gear.

ETA: Are you saying you can hold the paddle 5 sec OR click both at the same time to engage 1st?
    Last edited by starkejt; 06.17.11 at 11:56 AM. Reason: confusing myself...

F1000champ

Why it says that on his dash, I don't know. I can't attest to why some people say or write certain things.

To engage 1st from neutral you have to click both paddles together. Safety purposes only.

5 seconds is a long time on track, so holding it down for 5 seconds to engage a gear on track doesn't make sense either. But who knows, maybe this guy has the auto upshift enabled. Don't know, can't tell from a photo.

I called england and asked the chief technician at Pro-Shift about this a couple hours ago, so I could provide you with the proper answer to your question, and he said what is written on that guys dash makes no sense in either case.

I agree, you can't tell everything from a single photo. Thanks for your efforts to provide clarification.

I suppose when you really think about it, "Hold upshift paddle 5 sec. before selecting gear" is no weirder than "Kinky Kylie" or "Kate's Dirty Sister."

Thread Information