Liked: 4

Default Border crossing into Canada

This a a little off topic, but I am on the west coast, and looking for information from people back east who have recently crossed up into Canada through Detroit or 1000 Islands, taking their small pick-up and trailer up to a race.
    In the old days, we would just fill out a 4455 form and add a list of our stuff, and get it checked at the USA side on the way up and back. We would just tell them that we are a small private team going up for a club race.

Does the system still work like this, or is it more complicated now?
    Any help would be most appreciated here....save traveling 2500 miles just to find we need something else.
    If you want, you could reply to my email stefandwornik@msn.com

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default same as it is still now.

and most US racers just keep a copy of proof of sale contract and explain.

but when crossing show a sheet of paper showing where you are racing.. that you are registered in the event.

If so shouldnt be any problem at all. it is when they ask for basic documents and you can show anything to substantiate.

what race venue you planning on attending.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Default Rahal revival

I'm taking an ex-Gilles Villeneuve 1976 76B Atlantic car, and and an Alfa Romeo GTA to the historic Rahal Revival at Mont Tremblant, north of Montreal.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Be sure that you have a valid passport as well.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default 1000 islands

Two years ago we went up and back through there to go to Mosport and it was no drama at all.
    We had results sheets, passports, and a checkered flag hanging in the window!
    The border guards were cool; he came up into the entry way of the motorhome, looked around, talked racing, and we were on our way south back into the US w/ 17 Laotian children strapped to the subfloor. Plan went off beautifully!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Glen, you are just sick ,sick , sick !!!! it took me 5 minutes to get up off the floor, laughing!!!

F1000champ

The border crossing is really not that bad. Sometimes a wait in line, but not bad. Just have a complete manifest of your inventory in the trailer (three copies), 1 you leave with US customs before crossing into Canada. The other for Canadian authorities. Also keep a copy for yourself.

There are customs forms to fill out. Let them know where you are going (event), how long you will be in Canada and that you are doing this as a hobby, not professionally. It saves on duty.

Just make sure that what you take in, you bring back or they could charge you for selling equipment.

You also don't need a passport if entering by car. But it doesn't hurt. A valid current style driver license will surfice. A birth certificate with your driver license doesn't hurt either. You will need a passport if entering by airplane or ferry.

Remember that if you have a DUI on your record, they can prohibit you from entering Canada.

It's not that much of a nightmare if you go prepared. The more prepared you are the less they will question you.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4359

Unless you are carrying a large inventory of new parts or fancy equipment, I would go with the Nicholas approach. Have proper documentation for what you do have but take a casual approach and you'll probably breeze right through with no forms, bonds, or inspections.

No matter which approach you take (casual or extensive paperwork), you will likely get told to do it differently next time

As noted, passports (or enhanced drivers licenses) are required to get back into the US. Admitting to criminal convictions (including DUI) will likely stop your entry into Canada.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 0

My Wife and I are heading to Mosport tomorrow, as we do every year for the Vintage weekend. We have always driven thru without any lists, etc, just explained where we were headed, and how long. Yes, passports help, even if not required. Usually slightly harder on re-entry to US, but in 11 years of these trips, I have only once even had to open the trailer for a quick look at the back of the car. Usually the border guards are amazed a car could be in my little trailer. Have a good time at St. Jovite!

Liked: 1879

Don't know what it is like now, but years ago we were warned to NOT give any product away to any Canadian teams - or most likely Revenue Department guys dressed up in "team" apparel. Apparently they consider that a violation of the tax laws, and they aren't very nice about people screwing around their tax collections!

Liked: 0

Another point worth mentioning is to bring your race gas, as the cost is at least double what we are paying here, (at least at Mosport, $12 to 14 per gal.)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Carry a passport when crossing

I have made many dozens of trips back and forth over the U.S./Can border. The days of NOT carrying a passport have passed. Without a passport, U.S. customs can deny your entry even if you are a first cousin to our President, which I would never admit even if true. (Still not sure if he is a citizen) I have made many trips as a commercial pilot in float planes, also dragging a race car behind and even carrying a .300 Win. mag to hunt moose in B.C. Never had to spend more than 5 min. with either countries border personnel. Bring your passport and make sure your passengers have their passport. Otherwise, life will suddenly turn very sour and the customs people are sometimes very difficult if not impossible to deal with. As they say "fair warning."

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

A couple of quick thoughts to add to the above from both personal experience and getting F2000 Series teams to Mosport every year: Passport or enhanced Drivers license is essential to return to the USA and it appears to be up to the individual you happen to get at the booth how he or she treats you.

If you have any sort of larger 5th wheel or gooseneck up to an 18 wheeler, you need to be part of the ACE Manifest System for commercial vehicles to get back into the USA. While you might get away without it (less likely since 9/11- I spent 2 hours in a room at the Thousand Island crossing being lectured to one year), the ACE system makes it a breeze because they know who you are and what you're carrying when you're at the booth.

I would also inquire about a bond that the various tracks will most likely have- they'll send you a copy on request which will help crossing into Canada.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 80

So, Mr. Dwornik, it appears that since the crazy days of the Atlantic series in the '70s a few more of your screws have become untightened in your oldagehood.

Phoenix to St. Jovite? You gotta be kidding! You're too old for that nonsense!!

I know I am and we have to be pretty close in age, still.

As for going through Windsor....here's a little vignette of an adventure I had there. Probably in '79?

Mike Rahal approached me during the Atlantic/Can Am weekend at Trois Rivieres. Offered to pay airfare to the west coast from Chicago if I'd drive the bobtail back from TR with Bobby's T294 (?) in it.

Sounded like a good deal until I found out that it had come into Canada in the hands of a couple of Stimola's guys and they had forgotten to stop on the US side before leaving the country. No customs manifest. Oops.

When I got to Windsor a rather officious prat I had seen in action before told me, rule book in hand, that I should go sit down and get comfortable 'cuz I was gonna be there a lonnnnnnnnnnng time.

Fortunately the customs people were nice...except for the prat..and they let me make a phone call.

To Mike Rahal, of course.

Less than 15 minutes later I was on my merry way to Chez Rahal. Mike had made a call or two and everything was quickly in order. The prat was rather miffed.

As for having proper documents for humans, times sure have changed.

On more than one occasion I was the only 'merican in the crew cab during border crossings with various Atlantic mechanics whose immigration status was less than solid.

No problem. I'd just tell the customs folk that the guys in the truck..faking sleep of course,..were all good patriotic Americans and they believed me.

Too bad the good ol' days are gone.

I hope you have a great time.

Marc

ps
    And speaking of St. Jovite....this is one of my favorite Atlantic snaps....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...57623186773769

Liked: 141

Wow - some people make it sound difficult - frightening even.

OK - I admit I cross the other way (live in Canada and race in the US) but being nice, genuine, answer questions only when asked etc and there's never been any trouble with either set of immigration or customs people. Do use a passport. I've never used sales documents, event entry lists, posted bonds etc etc. Never been asked for them in 30 years. I do carry a photo of the car just to make it easy to describe what is in the trailer. My normal answer is "A vintage race car for an amateur event and the stuff that goes with it - tools, few spare parts and personal stuff".

The whole point is to convince the officer that you are genuine and that it's not business. And be nice - after all you are wanting to enter the other guy's country - you don't have a 'right' to do so - so convince him/her that you are genuine by being genuine - and remember he has a very boring job so don't upset him. Sure they sometimes want to look inside the trailer - wouldn't you in their position?

Default Marc Sproule....name from the past

I guess the racing family really is small. Marc Sproule......what a name from the past. .......hope you are well.

Life goes in circles....I will be hauling a truck with cars for Jon Norman and Dan Marvin......just like 27 years ago......some things never change. Dan will be driving the MARCH again, and Jon will be in his world famous green Alfa.
    I lost count how many hundreds of times I crossed the border back in the 70's 80's and 90's. But I haven't done that for the last 10 years, and I wasn't sure if things had changed since 9-11. Sounds like it is just the same.....be respectful, only answer when asked, no smart comments, and have a list of contents along with the 4455 form.......glad to hear that for the most part, it is the same.

Thread Information