Thread: helmet choices

Liked: 678

Default helmet choices

I was looking at a Simpson Diamondback vs a Bell GTX 2.
    I think helmets are round for a reason [the same reason it hurts worse step on a ridge than on flat ground.] So I get concerned about the ridges made into, or tha attachments stuck onto, helmets.

Simpson advertizes that they windtunnel their designs, but the 'wave attenuators' get a "more aggressive" look on the diamondback vs their others, making me suspect they are more cosmetic than functional. They are molded in, and I suspect would concentrate force well.

Bell's rear aero-device is a bolt on plastic piece and looks more likely to give / crack, and then let the dome of the helmet do it's job. It is also in an unlikely spot to be hit [say, in a rollover situation.]

For this reason, I am leaning toward the Bell product. Anyone have any data or thoughts, or know of any research on this?

Thanks, ---Jim

PS: I need the chin flap for helmet lift sometimes, so that is why I'm looking at these helmets.
    Last edited by swiftdrivr; 06.10.11 at 1:24 PM. Reason: add

Liked: 212

hey jim

i know arai makes the chin spoiler as well as the top of helmut rear spoiler as add on's i beleive mounted with a strong double sided tape. this may allow you to add other options to your list. i'm fairly sure other companies make them as well
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 8

Default Choices, Choices

Jim there are a million choices for helmets. What I think you can stop worrying about is shock attenuation or premature damage caused by the aero add-ons, wheter molded in, or stuck on. the helmets all have to pass the same safety testing for approval... that means they should not fail prematurely. They all (by rights) should perform equally in a shunt.

After that, I think it all comes down to personal preference. I choose Bell, just like I am a Chevy man.... and I have tried other manufacturers, but the Bell just fits my head shape (fat) better!

Have fun with your shopping!
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 0

On my DB-1 I had issues with helmet lift that at times were a real distraction. I tried a few different types of aero devices that attached to the helmet. None of them worked competely. The real fix for me was a very small spoiler on the bodywork above the steering wheel, just a lip no more than one inch high. End of problem.

YMMV

Liked: 1417

Helmets are round because our heads are round—mostly. They aren't, however, aerodynamic. The ridges and ripples in helmets today are to keep buffeting and lift to a minimum. They don't pose any dangers to anyone, by any stretch of the imagination. Buying by looks is one thing, but fit is far more important.

My concern with your choices are more along the lines of fit. Both helmet companies use very different shaped head molds for their helmets, so almost always a buyer is either a Simpson shaped head or a Bell shaped head—not both. Simpsons don't fit my head at all, and Bells fit very well. An Arai helmet fits my shaped head, as well. Some brands do, some brands don't. You absolutely MUST try on a helmet brand before you buy. The only people who should buy without trying on, are people who own a helmet and are buying the exact replacement size and brand.

An ill-fitting helmet will be far more dangerous to your future health than any ripples in the surface of the shell.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    My concern with your choices are more along the lines of fit. Both helmet companies use very different shaped head molds for their helmets, so almost always a buyer is either a Simpson shaped head or a Bell shaped head—not both.
    Agreed, I believe that once you have an opportunity to try both on your choice will be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by brownslane View Post
    What I think you can stop worrying about is shock attenuation or premature damage caused by the aero add-ons, wheter molded in, or stuck on. the helmets all have to pass the same safety testing for approval...!
    On a related note, the areas subject to impact during helmet testing are clearly defined. There are areas of the helmets that aren't subject to impact during such testing.

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    I was looking at a Simpson Diamondback vs a Bell GTX 2.
    I think helmets are round for a reason [the same reason it hurts worse step on a ridge than on flat ground.] So I get concerned about the ridges made into, or tha attachments stuck onto, helmets.

Simpson advertizes that they windtunnel their designs, but the 'wave attenuators' get a "more aggressive" look on the diamondback vs their others, making me suspect they are more cosmetic than functional. They are molded in, and I suspect would concentrate force well.

Bell's rear aero-device is a bolt on plastic piece and looks more likely to give / crack, and then let the dome of the helmet do it's job. It is also in an unlikely spot to be hit [say, in a rollover situation.]

For this reason, I am leaning toward the Bell product. Anyone have any data or thoughts, or know of any research on this?

Thanks, ---Jim

PS: I need the chin flap for helmet lift sometimes, so that is why I'm looking at these helmets.
    Hey Jim,

I see your are South Carolina. Our store is in Murrells Inlet (near Myrtle Beach) and we will be at CMP next weekend with THSCC if you are in the area and want to do a head fitment test. We don't sell Simpson but if you want to contact us, I can confirm what we have in stock if you want to try some helmets for size.
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Liked: 2

Work with the Apex Performance folks. They were able to get me some of the aero devices to put on my helmet. It helped, but did not solve completely. Needed to go to the spoiler on the bodywork to further reduce the wind wash from sucking the helmet off my head.

Liked: 0

Default Bell BR1

I've always raced open cockpit cars, including SRF's, FF's and CSR's. I purchased a Bell BR1 several years ago and have been very pleased with it's comfort and durability. I've never experienced any lifting action in any of my cars at speed. The ventilation has always been good, important because I wear glasses and need the helmet to have good air flow to reduce fogging.

Bell has recently changed the BR1 design a great deal. It appears to have a larger chin spoiler and different venting. Saferacer has original BR1's for sale for less than $300...
    Glen Tomlinson
    Mid-West Region SCCA
    www.tomlinsonengineeringllc.com

Thread Information