Liked: 553

Default F1600 Championship at The Glen

For us envious folks not at The Glen, we can get session results here:

http://f1600series.com/results.html

Twitter updates here: http://twitter.com/#!/F1600Series
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 42

Practice 1 results are posted. Fast lap 1:58.5.

http://f1600series.com/results/406-2...ractice-1.html

Liked: 36

What's the FF lap record at Watkins Glen and who has it? Treadway?
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Quote Originally Posted by BWC54 View Post
    What's the FF lap record at Watkins Glen and who has it? Treadway?
    From EFCN Lap Records:

Formula Ford: 1:59.862 - Jeremy Treadway (Swift DB6) - 2009

Liked: 0

Must be fast this weekend. Valet had a 1:58.7 in testing on Thursday.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    Must be fast this weekend. Valet had a 1:58.7 in testing on Thursday.
    It's probably due to the sticky R45 pro tires. :-)

From Twitter: "Radar guns are out this morning. Series officials keeping an eye on engine equalization!".

I'm guessing the Hondas are running the same restrictors as used at VIR (I haven't heard otherwise).

Liked: 309

Default Kent/Honda Breakdown...

Suggestion: Chassis/Engine breakdown listed on results. Need my majic decoder ring (i.e. entry list) to determine who is running which engine.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Suggestion: Chassis/Engine breakdown listed on results. Need my majic decoder ring (i.e. entry list) to determine who is running which engine.
    All that info is on the Drivers tab, just click on your browser back & forth. It would be easier if listed on the results though...I do agree.

Liked: 1432

If they are in the cars I think they are its...

Honda
    Ford
    Ford
    Ford
    Ford?
    Honda
    Ford
    ?
    Honda

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    If they are in the cars I think they are its...

Honda
    Ford
    Ford
    Ford
    Ford?
    Honda
    Ford
    ?
    Honda

Close, I have it as:

1. Honda
    2. Ford
    3. Ford
    4. Ford
    5. Honda
    6. Honda
    7. Ford
    8. Ford

This is all based on the what the drivers have listed for their cars though. As somone pointed out things will likely change as others get up to speed & used to the track.

Seems like some very fast times though.

To anser "I'm guessing the Hondas are running the same restrictors as used at VIR (I haven't heard otherwise)." [/quote]

31's was my understanding , same as VIR.
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 06.03.11 at 1:15 PM. Reason: quote

Default Afternoon session

Looks like Kautz was the quickest in the afternoon session. Any reports from the track?

Liked: 23

http://www.f1600championshipseries.c...-notebook.html

Look through the many typos...its nice to have the commentary available so quick...

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 3787

The morning sessions was in near perfect conditions.

OBTW, a bit of trick to decode the results list. If it says F16. it is a Honda. If it says F16 it is a Ford.

In the morning Goughary was fastest by like 9/10s. So, to keep all the rumors and musings down to a dull roar out here on Apexspeed, Jim got inspected. This is not a usual practice during a practice day, but we have to keep everything heads up, and rumor down. I must say Jim welcomed the inspection whole-heartedly. We found his restrictor to actually be on the small end of the tolerance. It would have been legal if it was as much as .006" larger. And just to nail any other rumors about Jim's posts earlier in the week out here on Apexspeed, we swapped out his ECU with a new one from Honda. Everything checked out within spec.

Then, Jim went out in the afternoon session and only posted the second fastest time. It just might be that he can drive the wheels off that Piper.

For most, the afternoon session was slower than the morning. Not for Tim Kautz. In the morning he was still shaking down his repaired Piper and learning his way around. Between session he did a gear change, which must have worked, because he was over 1 second faster than the rest of the field in the afternoon.

Mike Scanlan broke a diff this afternoon. He will probably miss the saturday a.m. qualifier, but may be ready to race from the back later in the morning.

JR2 was running sans transponder. But based on hand timing he was hovering within the top 6 all day. In the morning he drove the Kent, in the afternoon the Honda. He claims he is more comfy in the Kent and will try to qualify it in the morning.

Forrest Hull is driving Eric Langbien's old 97 VD. They have gone completely through the car, basically finishing it yesterday in the paddock. Hull was in the top 4 all day.

Ryan leach is driving a Brian Graham car that is being run this weekend by the Capes.

Shannon McIntosh (Cape) was 7th overall, with Catlin Johnston just behind her in 8th. A nice showing by the women.

Dan Pyanowski just steadily got faster all day. Also sitting in the top half of the field is Todd Bardwell in his CF Crossle.

Steve Roux is trying to repair what appears to be a broken camshaft.

Ralph Zuponcic was huanted by failing distributor internals.

Chris Keller and Len Amato are sharing Len's Honda/VD. Keller is scheduled to qualify and race saturday, Len to pilot it on Sunday.

Qualifying starts at 8:15 in the morning, with the race starting at 10:05. It is a tight schedule, which allows little time for any changes between qualifying and the race.

Should be exciting.

Liked: 201

Where's Beasley? I expected to see him all season and didn't notice his name anywhere yesterday.

Default Race 1

Results are posted, congrats to Valet.

http://f1600series.com/results/410-2...-1-race-1.html

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default Kudos, Bill

Congradulations to Valet and Crew. Wish I'd been there to see it.---Jim

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

As always, you can find galleries on the F1600 and F2000 websites, I'm going to try and get more uploaded tomorrow morning.....but enjoy!

http://www.f1600championshipseries.com/photos.html

Congratulations, Bill & team. Very happy for you. Certainly something to be proud of against so many great drivers and cars.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

If you are going to play in this arena, then everyday you better be on your "A" game.

Neary two seconds quicker than Treadway's record, and these guys are doing it on spec hard tires.

It is intense.

The hard charger had to be Chris Keller. Starting in 21st, he finished 7th, and for a few moments was higher than that.

Jim Goughary had the wheels come off his effort to win. Shannon McIntosh had a gearbox issue. Bob Detrick 'helocoptered' thru T1, saved it, then lost power and couldn't continue.

Steve Roux completed all his engine repairs and made the race,

Scanlan's diff showed up via FedX but there just wasn't enough time to complete the install in time to race. He is ready for tomorrow.

The rain waited until after the race and it has cleared out tonight with prospects for more great racing tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Neary two seconds quicker than Treadway's record, and these guys are doing it on spec hard tires.
    I wouldn't exactly characterize the R45 as a hard tire. Harder than the R35 and 160 yes, but not much.
    Last edited by BWC54; 06.05.11 at 9:53 AM.

I wouldn't exactly characterize the R45 as a hard tire. Harder than the R35 and 160 yes, but not much.
    That's true, but it would be rare circumstances to run R45's if R35's were available.

Sunday qualifying sounded interesting (via Twitter):

Kautz takes pole! then it's Thompson, Goughary, Robinson, Valet, Foster, Leach, Scanlan, Johnston and Bardwell.

We'll see if Leach and Valet will make the race start following reported damage during qualifying.

Liked: 25

Default Bardwell!

How about Bardwell, in the Crossle, I believe!
    - Frank C

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
    How about Bardwell, in the Crossle, I believe!
    - Frank C
    Most likely in the original DB-1 / Honda

SteveO

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Nope, bardwell is in the crossle.

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Nope, bardwell is in the crossle.

I stand corrected. Nice job

Liked: 23

That is freaken flying, I agree. Probably a lot of good rubber down on that track this weekend with all those wide Grand Am tires putting it down. The GA race was dry for the last 4 hours so that is a lot of rubber being put down.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Default I belive he may be a JEDI

Someone is running 10th in THIS field, in a Club Ford? Impressive, Most impressive.

Sounds like another great F1600 Champ Series weekend. Wish I was there, can't wait till Mid Ohio.

Realize that every car entered has a story from this weekend. So many interesting stories...

Probably some of the top stories:

Bill Valet qualifies really well, but at the end of the session stuffs his car backwards into the wall. Heavy damage on the right rear. Less than two hours to the race start. They made it to the grid by the 5 minute warning through the hard work of numerous team members. Lots of tape and pop rivets. One of the prettiest cars in the field now looks like a demo-derby car. Replaced the corner and sort of quickly aligned the car. Bill lead for a few laps and finished 2nd!

Tim Kautz spins out of second place on an early lap. Resumes in 13th place. Runs down everyone to take the lead and win the race!

JR2 didn't give up on Saturday's evil handling car. Changed springs, and came back to take 3rd on Sunday.

Ross Devoe in a '93 VD.

Todd Bardwell in a CF Crossle.

John Groom gets to claim to be the fastest DB1.

Great fun, great weather, one of the great tracks in North America. Wow!

Liked: 0

Default The Glen

Terrible Timmy Kautz is the man

Liked: 157

Just back from a long drive home after an exhausting day. Today was a complete 180 degree u-turn from Saturday when everything went perfectly. I'll let Bill tell you about his races, but I just wanted to publicly thank everyone who helped get the car back together for the race today, and believe me the list of people to thank is long. The car had right front and right rear suspension damage, a bent shear plate, the tail section was in too many pieces to count and the worst part to fix and what we thought would put us out of the race was the exhaust pipe which looked like a pretzel.

Fortunately, six of Bill's friends from the Lehigh SAE team were visiting for the weekend, and they divided up the different sections of the car under the supervision of Mike Stroud from Drivers Services which preps our car and Eric Langbein who was enginnering the car for the weekend. Meanwhile off I went in search of a spare Swift exhaust, which I actually did find courtesy of Doug Hobby. But then we thought we really needed our race exhaust fixed, so Dave from ADSA/Wright Racing offered up their trailer and everything in it to fix the exhaust. Dave and Angelo Zarra cut the exhaust and banged the pieces back into shape and then Sandy from Quicksilver was somehow able to weld stainless steel without the proper welding rods to make the thing look almost as good as new.

When I got back to the car Tom Sabiel was right in the middle of things putting the car back together, Todd Hankinson from Thompson racing had brought over all the tools needed to piece the tail back together and somehow with exactly five minutes to go the car was done.

The car was a handful to drive as we saw several times coming onto the front straight and as anyone behind Bill could tell you but amzingly it led the first 10 laps. Until Bill spun in the bus stop, either he or Colin Thompson was going to win the race and I am pretty sure it would have been Colin. We feel terrible for Colin who spun to avoid hitting Bill, but Colin will get his first win before too long I can guarantee that.

Last thank you is to Mike Scanlan, if you dont know him, you should, he is the real deal, the true racing friend. He had his own major gearbox problems to deal with but that didnt stop him from pitching in to help Colin get back on track by lending him his spare wheels for the weekend, or from doing everything he could to help get our car back into shape for today's race. Thanks Mike! Couldnt have done it without you.
    Last edited by Tom Valet; 06.06.11 at 12:25 PM.

Speaking of Ross....caught him playing a little Mario Kart out there on track... leaving a little banana for everyone on turn 10!

I kid I kid, no foul play involved, but it was a lucky capture

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default Glen Wrap-up

No problem Tom, I know it all comes around. After the qual session I was unaware of Bill's wreck and Tommy asked me how my car was and if we needed anything before the race, just gas I said. Even though he knew the answer he then asked if it was okay to give the Valet crew a hand since it looked like they were going to need it. It felt like someone was asking for permission to marry my daughter, but that's just the way Tom was raised. For he and his dad it's all about respect for the racing and with his driving career on hold to raise his family, he still thrives on being at the track.
    I found out firsthand what it's like to not make the race when the parts we needed for the Sat race didn't arrive in quite enough time to make the race. At least we got to watch a great race. In the last practice session Friday, the diff carrier in my Staff's box shattered on my in lap at the end of the session. Lee Williams told us that if we got it apart quickly enough he would be able to overnight the new parts. Tommy had the R&P out before the Lee even got back to check on us. Since we needed an hour after Lee set-up the diff again it was determined that we had to have the part at the track by 8 am. So I went to the Fed-Ex depot at the Elmira airport at 6am, having breakfast with the local Fed-Ex crew, flashing cash if they could get the plane to land a bit earlier than scheduled. Despite all our best efforts that plane didn't drop out of the sky until 8:30, anouther 15 minutes to unload and sort the packages, I got back to the track by 9 am, but it just wasn't enough time. A big thank-you to Lee anyway because he really tried to make it happen and did what appears to a perfect job since the car ran great on Sunday.
    After getting a bad start on Sunday I had to repass Bardwell's Crossle on the straight and as I flew by I thought how is Todd banging out 01's and 02's in a car with absolutely no straightline speed. He must never use the brakes, very impressive. It should also be noted that Matt DiRenzo did a heck of a job on Forrest Hulls 97 VD. Forrest was quick all weekend. I remember thinking after racing with him last that he would be tough in a better car, well, Matt made that car a lot better.
    I couldn't help but notice this weekend that there were more young drivers, this series can't help but get noticed as it continues to produce fantastic racing throughout the pack. Can't wait for Mid-Ohio.

Anyone know why there was no Mygale?

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

The Mygale was sold to a driver who was unavailable for the event. It will probably be back for Mid-Ohio.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Default Dog-Tied

Can somebody get the new owners at Mid Ohio to change the 'No Dogs' rule?! Yer killing me! Everybody will be at Mid Ohio, and I'll be at Roebling Road, racing my shadow.

Maybe Kautz will post his video of the run up through the field. that should be exciting.

Jim

Liked: 99

Default FF1600 at the Glen

Sounds like an amazing weekend.I would have expected more cars at this event than VIR.Anybody have any ideas why numbers were off from VIR?

Liked: 6

Default What great racing

Just a quick shout out to say: what a series! Yeah it's great to have the track to ourselves, no dodging Vee's or ducking FMs, and it's nice to have all the bling and pomp that goes with a 'Pro' series, but what really stands out here is the great sportsmanship and camaraderie in the Paddock. Mike and Tom already provided some illustrations, but I'll also add huge thanks to the Thompsons who invited us to share their luxurious paddock space and hauler for the weekend. What a generous thing to do for a competitor. Next, I thought it was great to see drivers stopping by the trailer to greet a newcomer. It's always nice to know who you are racing with. Finally, it was cool to see a bunch of youngsters out there. Colin is a terrific young guy and plenty fast.

Lastly just a tip of the hat to Matthew DiRenzo for serving up an awesome fast car. It was a real thrill for Forrest to run up front in this auspicious crowd. Looking forward to Mid Ohio!

I think it's also important to mention how clean the racing was this weekend. From what I've observed, every driver out there takes care of not only himself, but the competitors around him. It's especially cool to see that trait in the younger drivers who are thrown into multiple car battles with a ton of savvy vets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information