Thread: Car Numbers

Liked: 0

Default Car Numbers

I keep having to add a number on the beginning or end of my current car number. someone even wanted me to put one in the middle. Anyway I was wondering if a letter is legal? ie if my number was 0 could I put and "h" after it and get "0h"?
    Dan
    79 Van Diemen FF/CF

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Car numbers

Very clever. We have a deal here in the Northwest with a local race organization called the "Conference." If you're not a member of the Conference and wish to race with them. You have to put a number "7" in front of your car number. I guess to signify that you are not "one of them." Years ago, before electronic AMB timing, I guess I could possibly understand the additional identification required so that just perhaps the turn worker could better identify you or one of the scorers who was scoring laps by hand. Although, I've never experienced that need while racing with other clubs around the country. Just the "Conference." There have been a number of occasions in the recent past that I have considered racing at the closest track to my home (Pacific Raceways) when the Conference is holding one of their club races. Then I say, there is so much work to do to prepare for a race plus put on their extra number "7" on each side of the car plus the front nose, I just talk myself out of going to their race. Can you imagine what the front nose of my FF looks like trying to fit three numbers on it? That is, place a number "7" along side of my permanent two digit number. Ridiculous. So..., I just stay home and it's just one less entry for them. There are plenty of other race organizations to choose without jumping through another archaic rule. Yes, I've approached them about it. I get a look of distain and "that's the way it is." And, they wonder why they have just a couple of formula entries?
    Last edited by Albatross; 06.17.11 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    .... Then I say, there is so much work to do to prepare for a race plus put on their extra number "7" on each side of the car plus the front nose, I just talk myself out of going to their race...

Geez, Clayton! Pretty tough on Conference there You are correct, requiring 'non-conference' drivers to put a 7 on their cars is to identifiy them to fellow Drivers, Turn Workers, Grid Personel, Timing and Scoring, Tech Staff and Stewards. MAINLY, fellow drivers, so they know this is someone who seems to drive pretty good but does NOT have experience running with me in a race. Perhaps I should be a little more cautious around him/her. This is a similar reason to novice or area drivers (drivers who have not yet been upgraded to Senior status) to have a three digit number starting with 3.

We had that problem with Jeff's Reynard. I just bought a florescent green "half" size number and put it on next to Jeff's gold numbers on a black background. No problem.

I've approached them about it. I get a look of distain and "that's the way it is.
    That is shocking. I don't know of anybody in Conference that hands out looks of distain.... lol

Come on out for one of the races! Formula cars grids are relatively small but.. Ohhh so much fun with the Conference guys.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

We just use flourescent rookie stripes

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Rick...somehow I knew that you would be responding. I wonder how I knew? "to put a '7' on their cars is to identify them to drivers, turn workers, grid personnel...ad infinitum is just a bunch of archaic hogwash. It's time to get out of the 20th century thinking. By that line of thinking, every SCCA member racing out of his/her region should be showing three numbers of identification on the back, both sides and front. Ridiculous! July 4th weekend will be SOVREN's 3 day Seattle Historics weekend with approx. 225 entries and 20 +/- FF from various parts of the west coast and Canada. Some of the entries SOVREN drivers and workers have never seen before. Yet, there will be no such officious requirement. Come September, SOVREN will be having the Columbia River Classic at Portland Int'l Raceway. In conjunction will be SOVREN's Formula Ford Festival #2. Festival #1, 2008 was a tremendous success with over 40 entries. Festival #2 at Portland, Sept 3 to 5 should be an exciting success with entries coming from all over west of the Mississippi and Canada with no such super numerical identification being required or is needed. The event will be open to all Kent powered Formula Fords. It will be a great weekend.

Liked: 210

..... It's time to get out of the 20th century thinking....

Psst. I agree with you but gotta defend the cause.

BUT, the SOVREN thing is a 'different world'. You know in theory those guys really aren't 'racing' ? LOL Tell that to the drivers 15 times slowly.

I'll be there on the 4th weekend working some corner The 1 year anniversary of my quad. bypass, heart valve replacement and stroke/death. Gotta celebrate that at the track for sure.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thread Information