Liked: 0

Default Getting started in Crossle 1989 needs some love

I have browsed the getting started section.

Have ran some solo in C5 Corvette, looking for something differnet, no desire at this time to race other than time events.

Found a Crossle 1989 71F (?). Looks to be all there with the usuall extras wings, tires, misc.. Owner said Pinto was rebuilt by pro when parked, has sat in heated garage started so often (so I am told). SCCA book last date was 1999 I believe. Its complete but needs small items all over, buying for $5,500 I am budgeting another $3,000 to get solo safe, no road course.
    Is 5500 ok if mtr and gearbox is ok?
    Has Fox shocks, needs looked at
    wire job looks nasty, needs replaced
    brakes need serviced
    way to loud for solo will have to modify exhaust
    thats the obvious, sure a ton of gremlins
    body in good shape, no cracks or visable spots in frame
    I am a huge do it yourself guy. Have a great shop and love winter projects like this.

Your thoughts?

(Yes I have already decided, hope you would talk me out of it)

Great site, you guys have been a great help
    Last edited by 317nathan; 05.23.11 at 10:04 PM. Reason: additional information

Liked: 3787

Chuck Moran made his Crossle very competitive in national racing as recent as last year. He would be your #1 source for advice.

Sounds like you are on the right track. May not cost as much as you think, if you are providing all the elbow grease. The wiring is very simple to just replace yourself. There are only about 4 wires.

There are lots of good shops that could service those shocks.

Have fun!

Liked: 73

If it starts and runs and is ata least all there, don't see where you would be going wrong for that kind of $$$ especially since Autocross is the destination.

IF the car has been sitting unused for a long time the second concern after the engine is the fuel cell. IF they site for long periods of time they can decay and the foam inside turns to dust.

Just my 2 cents.

Aaron

Yes fuel cell was on my mind, I am sure it will need attention.

Thanks for the feedback. I have no experience in pricing these cars but the price seemed pretty good.

Default Brakes

I would take a real hard look at the brake system. I would pull the calipers off and put new seals in the pistons and of course change the fluid. Pulll the gear box apasrt and inspect as well with new fluid.....You cant beat the price for the car....Have fun...Todd

Thank you for your input!!

I love the taking apart and figuring out how it works, its the going back together that seems to trouble me.

Another silly question do most FF cars have seat controls for shocks (hard to soft) and brake bias (spelling)? Or is this typically found in wing cars?

Thanks again!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Cockpit adjustable

Brake bias is usually cockpit adjustable. Shocks are not.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Default cockpit adjustment

The "other" cockpit adjustment is more likely to be for a sway bar, probably the front one, than for shocks. BTW, where/who is the car coming from?

Assuming the car has its original LD200 hewland transmission (market value around $3 - 4,000), a decent Pinto motor (probably worth another $1 - 2,000) and a set of wheels you're getting your money's worth.

For autocross work you'll want to get some soft compound tires and soft springs. Does the car have the narrow front track or wide? You'll probably want the wide version if you want the car to handle well. You may want to get some relatively low gear ratios and look into a cam that will make the engine provide good torque.

Look for cracked suspension rocker arms, particularly on the front. Also, I had breakage of the steering arms on the front uprights, they can be strengthened by welding on an extra piece. The frames have a tendency to break where the steering attaches and at the rear where the engine cross brace attaches.

I have two of these cars and a third car's worth of suspension parts. I have three different types/grades of Koni shocks as well. I may have a few parts left for the narrow front track...

Give me a call (703-264-1121) sometime next week if you'd like to talk more.

Default Chuck, sent you an email with pictures

Crossle 71F-89-05

First SCCA log was Atlanta runoffs 1990
    Last SCCA log NHIS 1995
    Car also ran at Watkins Glenn, IRP, Lime Rock, and Pocono
    I can not make out the drivers signature.

It does have the LD200 and the motor seems to run well, its burning oil when warm, the car appears to have set for some time. I called the engine builder that did the last rebuild and he thought he did the work in 2005 (?), so not sure where the car was ran after the last SCCA log. The previous owner purchased for his son but it never worked out and the car sat. Of course the engine builder warned me not to work the engine under load until he had a chance to inspect it. I have found that pretty hard to manage and have had several spirited drives down my country road!!

I was in hopes that this would be my winter project but have had a hard time not rushing home and working on it.

Chuck I sent you an email using the address you have here on Apex, was in hopes you could look at the front end.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INFO!!!

Thread Information