Liked: 0

Default $25 Ear Buds vs $100 Ear Buds?

Hi Gents, I need to upgrade my in-helmet ear buds from cheap iPod-style to something more durable and have been looking at the racing earbuds offered on the web. There seem to be two classes of foam-style buds (versus the silicone customs or semi-customs): one type does not spec the audio transducer and runs $25 ("for spectators and racers!") and a second class in the $100 range ("hearing aid technology!"). They look the same on the outside. Anyone have experience with the two types?
    Thanks,
    Harry
    FV Lynx/B #8

Liked: 273

Spend the additional money and get the custom fitted ones.

The foam doesn't last long, maybe a year if you're careful with them. The custom fitted fit nice and you don't have to fuss with them and they just sound better.
    Last edited by ghickman; 05.15.11 at 6:01 PM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

you take the transducers out of your foamies and glue them into the custom molds.

Costco has guys that do hearing aids in the store. You might ask if he'll do the molds and put holes in for the tranducers.

There was a guy at Monterey doing them out of a booth in the vendor area, cost me $75.

Liked: 0

Thanks guys. I'll head down to the local hearing aid guy and see if he can help out with the fitting for custom phones. Read a few web nightmare stories of people getting the mold material stuck way down in their ear canal ...
    FV Lynx/B #8

Liked: 296

I spent dollars out the wazzoo for in industry stuff. Turns out they all suck.

I bought these for my music listening (i'm a bit of an audiophile and these are nice buds).

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Earbud-...5820728&sr=8-8

After being frustrated with my costly and poor performing molded set I plugged my Vmodas in for a try. Not only do they significantly reduce the noise of the race car, which is great for hearing protection, they also are much clearer sounding. I set the radio at half the volume of my molded set. They are without a doubt better in every respect, including build quality.

I think any four pole plug for iPhone and iPod type applications will work.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 9

Chris,

Great idea.

Does the jack work with the standard Sampson helmet cable?

My concern is it looks like these have specific iPhone functions with extra contacts.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Liked: 296

My helmet harness was installed by Racing Electronics. I am unsure which hardware was even installed in my helmet. Thus, I can't speculate as to your hardware.

I will say this. The four pole plug (stadard 1.8mm jack) works with hardware designed for three pole plugs (those in my macbook, older ipod type devices, etc.). Additionally, it works inside the helmet hardware that was designed for two pole plugs. I haven't pushed the buttons that comprise the iPhone functionality and probably won't. It seems like it will probably just be bad news.

The only downside I can see is that the four pole plug doesn't seat as securely in the helmet hardware as the two pole plug did.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Thread Information