Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked: 50

We plan on coming up Thursday nite. Is there a way to park the rig at the track (and stay in the Toter for the night?)
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 0

Default When to travel

Ok so here's my dilema

Friday I will be doing an engine swap at at the track.

Thursday evening I have a commitment that I can't avoid so the earliest I can get on the road Thurday night would be about 8:00. It look like a 5-6 hour drive, then add an hour for the time change - meaning if I head out on Thursday it's 2-3 AM local time when I get in.

Or - I leave home at O God O'clock AM on Friday (lets say 4:00 AM) in which case I'm pulling into Waterford Hills about 11:00 give or take on Friday.

Since the track gates don't open until 10:00 anyway, it seems to me that getting there at 11:00 give or take is no big deal.

Realistically, we should be able to get one engine out (if I don't have it out before I get there) and the other in and everything bolted back together by the end of the day on Friday right?

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 10

Default Engine Swap

Bob

I am not familar with your car so don't know how easy it is to get your engine out - But you should be able to do an engine swap in a matter of a couple of hours working methodically. I have done them in under an hour, in and out, but they were bolt for bolt identical engines going into the car - and I had done it once or twice before (and had plenty of helpers)

The catch with any engine swap is always the connections - does the engine going in have the same connections (engine mounts, oil lines, wiring, etc) as your engine - this is usually what slows you down. Then there is the physical getting it out - which depends on the design of the car and how much you have to dismantle to get the engine out.

I can tell you the story of a friend of mine who changed engines in a hurry at the track, connected the oil lines wrong - had pressure to both sides of the oil filter and proceeded to start the engine and when the oil seal on the filter promptly blew sprayed everyone in a 10ft radius with oil.....

But you should have plenty of time if you just want to get the car running on Friday and aren't worried about testing.

Liked: 254

Friday I am taking half a day and should be up at the track hanging out until registration time. I have no intentions of being on track, so consider me an extra pair of hands if you should so need.

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    We plan on coming up Thursday nite. Is there a way to park the rig at the track (and stay in the Toter for the night?)
    Jim,

The paddock gate will be closed, but you can pull to the top of the hill (outside T6) and pull into campground. Power/water and showers are open and on. I will most likely be staying in my Motorhome in the campground as will a couple of others.

Joe
    F600 #27

Liked: 3

Just pulled the trigger and entered. The new RGU Evolution will be making the trip out from Connecticut. Still a fair bit to complete on the car, but hopefully we'll tie all that up on Friday at the track. So you all there bright and early.

YAY George! will be good to see you again.

So we are at 12 cars?
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 19

Anybody coming to waterford that has any Vee wheels that are straight and would like to sell them let me know and throw them in your trailer. I will be there all weekend

send me an email to tabbott25@aol.com or dail me up 248-514-7255
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Can I safely assume that Waterford Hills sells race gas or do I need to bring enough from home?
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 151

Default gas

bob

I'm told you can get race gas there.

Default More

And tire service is either at the track or across the street. Jim Schings is bringing some spare tires too.

Liked: 190

I'll bring the portable podium for those post race victory photos.

Looks like this is shaping up to be a really great event. I hope we can put on a good show for all the WHRRI folks.

Only three days to go!
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 1

Race gas is available but sometimes he leaves early on sunday so plan on getting enough for the whole weekend on saturday.

Liked: 8

Default FUEL

There are also a number of places within a 10 mile radius of the track that sell Turbo Blue and other Race Fuels. Jason used to have a list of them - he is looking...

Quote Originally Posted by stvstb View Post
    There are also a number of places within a 10 mile radius of the track that sell Turbo Blue and other Race Fuels. Jason used to have a list of them - he is looking...
    Ok great - I just have a quirk about transporting 10+ gallons of race fuel in a trailer for 6 hours. Mush more comfortable buying it locally when I get there.

Looks like a nice weekend setting up! just gotta get that engine in on Friday

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 58

Default Bring it on!

All packed - ready for the road. Travel safe!

Doug FST 5

Quote Originally Posted by Doug FST 5 View Post
    All packed - ready for the road. Travel safe!

Doug FST 5
    Same here - you too - see you Friday
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Let's light this candle

We are getting so close, thought it would be good to post the latest entry list for Rounds 3 & 4 of the

Hoosier Tire US Formula First Championship Series at Waterford Hills

# 2 Nash, Jim Bloomington, MN MRC 09 Orange Mission Race Cars

# 5 Seim, Doug Okeana, OH Mysterian M5.1 Blue P&NP Computing / Autowerks

# 6 Everard, Reece Rochester, MI Jacer Gold/Black

# 8 Dawson, Dave South Bend, IN Evolution MK1 White

# 13 Stack, Robert Hartland, WI Stack Citation FST White Stack Law Office

# 16 Podgorski, George Glastonbury, CT RGU Evolution 2.5 Blue RGU Racing/Autowerks

# 19 Steeb, Jason Novi, MI Lynx FST Blu/Wht/Yl Steve Steeb Service

# 25 Wise, Bill Northville, MI Evolution FST Vintage Munks

# 35 Blevins, Dave Cincinnati, OH Caracal Elite White

# 37 Clark, Robert Rochester, MI Evolution Cm-1 Blue Team Clark Motorsport/SR Racing

# 57 Farmiga, Sam West Chester, OH Citation 95 V red

# 69 Bonow, Bill Plainfield, IL Campbell Evolution Yellow

Looks like we are all going to have a fun as well as a historic weekend of racing!
    Bill Bonow

Saturday can't get here soon enough

Default Special waterford rules

WELCOME TO WATERFORD HILLS! I would like to share a few things unique to Waterford Hills that can CERTAINLY get you yelled at by an Official this weekend BEFORE anyone runs afoul of some weird rule. Most relate to the Court Injunction under which we operate:

DO NOT START ANY RACE ENGINES BETWEEN 6:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m. Even street driven cars that race at our track operate under this rule. And YES, that means NOT even to set the timing or idle. SORRY! Our neighbors aren't always FRIENDLY... The Paddock is small and the roads are paved - if you have to go to Tech after 6:00 Friday evening please push your car. THANK-YOU!

The Club is SERIOUS about the DB Limit at the property line. I sat in our Sound Booth earlier this year and our meter IS CALIBRATED, IS ACCURATE and IS MONITORED. Violators are Black-Flagged and warned or parked as the LAW deems fit. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A REAL MUFFLER FIRMLY ATTACHED. If your muffler falls-off during a session you WILL BE BLACK-FLAGGED. Again, we have too much to loose to play games with this rule.

Our rules require a Waterford Hills sticker on both sides of the car (just like SCCA). I've seen Tech on the Grid checking for these before but I have arranged to buy these for the Group, when you go through Tech. just tell them you are a First and need the Stickers and they will hook you up.

Jason or I will be at the track starting Friday around 10:00 a.m. to help you find a Paddock Spot and try and keep the group together (except for those who may prefer to be away from the group...). Some Paddock Spots are PRE-RESERVED - we will have a map with those places marked. It will be interesting to see how it goes after S/R Racing's rig is spotted - I've never seen a rig like that at Waterford Hills. Should be FUN! Don't worry, we will fit you in comfortably, we will just be a little cozier than at other tracks!

I'm not sure its been mentioned yet but there is a Bar-B-Que in the Paddock after Racing on Saturday. Attendance requires a donation or a large dish to pass. I understand the main course this weekend is Beef Brisket - and I'm told the Pig Roast this crew did last month was GREAT! There is also a Concession Stand, Rest Rooms, a Shower, Bleachers, a Viewing Balcony, a Boutique, AIR, water, and electricity all inside the Paddock. Averill Racing Stuff has a trailer with parts, Hoosier and Goodyear each have tire trailers, and there is a Torco Fuel Distributor on site. I'm sorry, I always bring my own fuel so I have no idea what products he has on-site. If anyone is interested I may have some extra 110 LL AVGAS at Jason's trailer.

So, WELCOME to Waterford Hills! Beside being the Club's Director of Racing I'm also a member of the FFDA and Jason's Crew Chief this weekend. I may rent a car to race with you later this summer. I've found you all to be a great group of racer's to be around. Please feel free to seek me out for anything the Club can do to help this weekend! Be fast, Play SAFE and HAVE FUN! And THANKS FOR COMING!!!

steve

Default OVERCREW

I almost forgot the really GOOD NEWS I got from Registration. We will make arrangments at the Gate to let in overcrew for Formula First for $5.00 each. They just have to let the people at the Gate know that they are with a car in Formula First, pay $5.00, and sign the Waiver. That whole crew entry issue is one of the problems we have by having Registration INSIDE the Paddock (second floor of the Tower - up a flight of stairs and to the left) but we get by...

steve

Default thanks Steve

i'm looking outside in the motel parking lot. I see formula firsts. Makes me happy.
    Thanks for takung care of the details Steve

Default No racing for me this weekend

Well I left home at 4:00 this morning. By 8:00 I was stranded on I 94 in Michigan with a blown up motor in my "new to me" (as of Monday) truck.

My buddy is coming in the morning to get me and the trailer home. The motor will be rebuilt next week and I get to make another trip out here sometime next week or weekend to pick it up.

So far this has been a very expensive season for a grand total of about 10 leps.

Maybe Gratten - if there's any budget left.

Good luck guys - have fun.

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 53

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    Well I left home at 4:00 this morning. By 8:00 I was stranded on I 94 in Michigan with a blown up motor in my "new to me" (as of Monday) truck.

My buddy is coming in the morning to get me and the trailer home. The motor will be rebuilt next week and I get to make another trip out here sometime next week or weekend to pick it up.

So far this has been a very expensive season for a grand total of about 10 leps.

Maybe Gratten - if there's any budget left.

Good luck guys - have fun.

Bob
    Bob That is one bad start to your season. I'd like to say it will get better but Racing has a way of making things go from bad to worse before it gets better. I hope you are past the bad side and the rest of the season will be on the up swing.

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Quote Originally Posted by gbmetcalf View Post
    Bob That is one bad start to your season. I'd like to say it will get better but Racing has a way of making things go from bad to worse before it gets better. I hope you are past the bad side and the rest of the season will be on the up swing.

G.
    Thanks Brian - here's hoping!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Had an absolute blast running with you guys this weekend. After 6 sessions on track I am thoroughly worn out. I'd like to give a huge thanks to SR Racing for making the rental possible and for providing a competitive ride straight off the trailer. A big thanks to Jason and Steve for making the weekend possible as well as pestering me enough to give Formula First a shot.

After some much needed rest tonight and tomorrow I will post up a more thorough wrap up and plenty of video.

Hope to get a chance to run with you guys again in the future. The camaraderie is outstanding and the competition is phenomenal.

Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Congrats to Bill Wise and Jason Steeb on series wins. There was some great racing this weekend
    Last edited by Dave Woodmancy; 01.11.15 at 12:39 PM.

Alright! Another awesome Formula First weekend is in the books!

(Nice picks Dave!)

Here are Saturday's results...

25 Bill Wise 1:13.757 7 69.368 (Pole) (Free Hoosier Tire)
    37 Robert Clark 1:13.875 7 69.257 (Free Hoosier Tire)
    5 Doug Seim 1:14.668 3 68.521
    4 16 George Podgorski 1:14.212 7 68.942
    5 35 Dave Blevins 1:23.253 14 61.456
    6 8 Dave Dawson 1:16.177 7 67.164
    7 69 Bill Bonow 1:15.184 3 68.051
    8 19 Jason Steeb 1:13.573 3 69.541 (Fastest Lap) (Drawing - Free Hoosier Tire)
    9 2 Jim Nash 1:16.224 2 67.123
    10 6 Reece Everard 1:14.341 6 68.823

There are TON'S of stories to tell from Friday/Saturday. I'll let more people chime in about their weekend, but I would like to give a nod to the Everard's. They postponed their family vacation to start it at the track Friday. After meeting up with a tire wall that afternoon (and bending a beam), I thought Reece and Steve were on their way to N. Carolina early. It's a long story, but they stuck it out and made the show. The above result does not reflect the on-track activities. Reece drove a smart race (smarter than mine for sure), and managed to finish 3rd on the track. Sadly... the car was 4lbs under weight in impound!!!!! 4lbs! Hell, I'm betting Reece lost 4lbs just working on the car all night Friday night and Saturday morning. Nice job anyway guys! Ran in the low 14's too. In what, your 3rd session? 4th session? The effort was awesome, and the drive was superb!

Apologize to Bonow 1 more time. I'm the reason him and I only managed 3 laps (I'll post some video soon).

Also... Bill Wise... You rock dude. First race in a FST, and you finish 1st. Nice. I hope you can join us more often this season. Maybe even consider FST as your next road racing home. It's a lot cheaper than those F Honda things you're always talking about. I'm looking forward to your video(s). Especially the starts! I'm just glad the (optional) Waterford feature race we did was only 10 laps. I'm not sure I could have held you off for 11!

As for Sunday....Here is today's result (track was greasy):

19 Jason Steeb 1:13.609 10 69.507 (Fastest Lap) (Free Hoosier Tire)
    69 Bill Bonow 1:14.731 10 68.464 (Free Hoosier Tire)
    5 Doug Seim 1:15.159 5 68.074
    4 16 George Podgorski 1:15.565 11 67.708
    5 37 Robert Clark 1:15.670 5 67.614
    6 2 Jim Nash 1:15.301 5 67.945
    7 35 Dave Blevins 1:21.357 5 62.888
    8 8 Dave Dawson 1:19.080 4 64.698
    9 25 Bill Wise 1:13.989 4 69.150 (Pole) (Drawing- Free Hoosier Tire)

I had a GREAT time this weekend! I'm glad most of the FST guys seemed to enjoy Waterford...And picked it up pretty quick too! I heard from some of the officials throughout the weekend, and we are welcome back anytime.

Will post video when I have a chance. I too am in need of some rest.

Cheers!
    Jason

Liked: 58

Default Wow, what a place!

Waterford is a great place to race. The track is wonderfully tricky, fun, and tiring! I've never run into so many officials, corner workers, etc that all seem to be enjoying what they are doing. All of this and the price is from a decade ago. We'll be back!

Doug FST 5

I really enjoyed flagging for you folks this weekend! Good, hard racing throughout the field and very aware/courteous when running with the FV/F500s. The amount of improvement from the Saturday morning qualifying session to Sunday's race at about 1:30pm was amazing. Hope to work for you all again soon!
    _ _ _________________________ _ _

Dennis Hand
    Nat. F&C, GLDiv SCCA

Default Big Thumbs Up

This was the first time I have raced outside of an SCCA organized event and I would be more than happy to go back again next year. The way the event was run was outstanding. It was really nice to see an organisation that was happy to have us come to their event.
    The Waterford Hills Gang could easily give lessons to some Scca regions on how to
    A) Run a race weekend and,
    B) Treat the racers like they are glad to have them no matter what type of car you race.

Thank You Waterford for inviting us to come play in your sand box.

Dave

Liked: 10

Default Great Weekend

Ok - I will say it, I don't like the track.....but I had fun!

The event was great, well organised, great people, friendly - couldn't say enough about it being a fun event to run at. Thanks to Jason and Steve for organising a great weekend and to everyone at Waterford for making us welcome.

Well done to Bill and Jason they really showed great speed all weekend - the Waterford Feature race on Sunday with Jason abd Bill going at it for 10 laps was very entertaining to watch. Also well done to the Everard's - after what they went through it was great to see Reece do so well, Steve was going beserk evertime we got to Turn 3 and Reece was really closing in on me before the black flag.

I have some 'good' video footage of both of the points races that I will get posted later this week.

Rob

Liked: 270

Default Thanks for some great racing!

Just wanted to say, as one of the Waterford crowd, thanks to all you guys for coming out and putting on a great show! Was some great racing to watch, and very entertaining - good job! And good show to all those who toughed it out through their first weekend on a very tough, unforgiving track!

Be sure to come back again and put on another show for us!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Default Thank you WHRRI

Had never been to Waterford Hills before, heard about it, but just never went until this past weekend. What a mistake on my part. Very well run org with VERY friendly people. I am very glad that Jason and Steve stuck their neck out to get us to come to Waterford. I think that many who made the trek to Clarkston, MI will agree that if we are invited again, we will gladly come and drag more FST's with us.

Here is a shot taken by Tracy Clark (thanks!) of me on the first practice grid (with Penny Morgan and Larry "Evolution" Campbell next to me) on Saturday. I'm sure more photos and videos (aye, Jason?) will be coming.

Again, thanks to Jason and Steve Steeb as well as the whole WHRRI group.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.27.13 at 3:33 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Default Thanks From WHRRI

Hey Guys
    Just wanted to say thanks to you all for making the long trek out to Waterford, and thanks for all the kind comments about us, we all love racing and we love what we do, I think that shows. You guys and your crew/family were awesome and it was a pleasure to have you with us, you put on a great show too, great racing, well done all.

We have regularly scheduled races in July, August and early October... please keep us in mind if you're in the area! Also keep an eye on our website, either the forum or the gallery section as we have some great photographers who post up the racing shots for us all to enjoy. I'll post the links as I see them come in.

I hope everyone from out of state got home safely and I really look forward to seeing you all again at Waterford Hills. Be safe.
    Brenda
    Waterford Hills Chief of Grid

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of thanks from the FST crowd to the folks at Waterford. While the track was interesting, certainly challenging and a star in its’ own right, it was the people at WHRRI that really shone and made the event the pleasure it was. While still being both efficient and professional, everyone I met was friendly, accommodating and (very important for me) patient. While the racing was great, it was the people that made the trip out from Connecticut worth the drive.

A big thanks to the Steeb’s for organizing the FST portion of the weekend from there end and making sure we all knew what was going on with the schedule and the do’s and don’ts of running at Waterford. While a number of folks continuously helped in getting the new RGU Evolution on the track, I’d particularly like to thank Doug Siem’s crew of Rescue Rangers (Randy and Matt) for their opportune assistance at various times and locations (pre-grid, grid, pits, etc.) which kept us out on track throughout the weekend. As Jose would say (whether he can see or not), mucho gracias!

Dittos from us at SR Racing.. Special thanks to them (Jim) for being there Thursday night to let us in so we could bring the big rig in and set up in an empty paddock. That made things much easier. And like everyone else has mentioned, great folks and facilities and meal. I wish that OTHER organsing body knew how do do it.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Liked: 2

I had a great time time in spite of my EVIL caracal.Great folks all arouund. Now THAT'S how you run a race event.Special thanks to Jason and Steve,and those that assisted me .There's not a better bunch of racers on the planet.

Default First video

Well, I've been having a heck of a time trying to get my videos posted online. Since Vimeo is file size limited and Youtube is time limited I'm trying the Contour StoryTeller site to upload all the race videos in full HD. The Contour site keeps faulting out on me, but so far I've managed to only get one video posted. So for your viewing pleasure, Sunday morning's class race.

http://contour.com/stories/waterfordhills_6_26_ffst

More to come as they get added.

Great vid. But that helmet cam has to go. . Its redeming factor is that you can see the mirrors when you look at them. Nice drive also.

Rob Clark will probably get his posted soon so we will be able to see some more.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information