Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Liked: 0

Default Hoosier Tire US Formula First Rounds 3 & 4 - Waterford Hills

Hi everybody…

Here is some very basic info out about Rounds 3 and 4 of the US Hoosier Tire Formula First Series.

Waterford Hills is one of the best deals in racing, and it’s even better for us Formula First guys.

Online Entry is available here:
    http://myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmC...w?psclub_id=61

Entry fee for SCCA members: $215 for the weekend.
    Friday Test Day Pricing: $20 per session (gates open around 10AM, track is open from 12-4). There are usually four 20min sessions.

The planned weekend schedule is:
    Saturday morning - Practice/Qual with FV and F500
    Saturday Mid-Day – Qual Race, with FV and F500
    Saturday Evening – Round 3 US Hoosier Tire Formula First Series – (Formula First only)

Sunday Morning – Qual/Race, with FV and F500
    Sunday Afternoon – Qual/Race, With FV and F500
    Sunday Evening – Round 4 US Hoosier Tire Formula First Series – (Formula First only)

The bigger the car count, the more the track will be willing to cater to us. So, bring your cars out. You will not find more track time for the money.

Waterford Hills is located on the grounds of the
    Oakland County Sportsmen's Club
    4770 Waterford Road
    Clarkston, MI 48346-3453

Official website is:
    http://www.waterfordhills.com/

More to come…
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 06.22.11 at 7:29 PM.

Default Mufflers....

The operation of Waterford Hills does differ (slightly) from the usual SCCA Regional/National. You will notice small variations in some of the paddock rules and how the weekend is run. During the next few weeks, I will attempt to address a couple of the main differences. If you guys have any questions feel free to post. I know there a number of Waterford regulars on Apex, so ask away!

The first challenge for most of us, is that Waterford does require us to run a muffler. The maximum allowable dB limit, at the property line, is 75dB. Whether you meet that limit or not, you will need to have a, “commercially available,” muffler installed. I have seen GT1 Corvettes and Swift Formula Atlantics meet the limit.

I know, at first look it seems like a hassle. But, it is a city ordinance, and how the track is able to get along with its neighbors. It is nowhere near as complex as it might seem.

Our little cars will not have a problem meeting the limit. Most guys (including myself) run one of the first 3 versions of a SuperTrapp found at this link These are the cheaper “generic” brand. If you head over to SuperTrapp.com, they have all of the options. Maybe SR Racing has others? The main point here...Formula Firsts will be fine only running the baffles. You do not need any of the canister style mufflers.

I have a mega phone tail pipe, so slipping the muffler over the tail pipe is out of the question. I will get some pics posted, but I simply formed a cone which fit inside of my megaphone. I welded that to the baffle adapter on the muffler, and presto…legal muffler.

Remember, if you run this style of muffler…the goal is to run as many baffles as you can, and still be legal. I have 7 baffles in mine, but I have not played around with this very much. I believe the track will post your sound during the weekend, but I have never checked.

Cheers!
    Jason

Liked: 3

Jason,

Which unit are you using?

Thanks,
    Dave

Liked: 19

I will post a pic of what we run on our Vee's out there, very simple and inexpensive ...if you have questions please feel to ask away. you maybe thinking im giving up HP with running a muffler....Not so grasshopper! if you are it isnt measureable.

this past race weekend out at waterford we used it as a Test & tune sorta and both our cars ran Faster than we have ever gone. and its our HOME track.

Just an FYI waterford is a small paddock and its close to everything, tower,grid, etc. So with that said they dont allowe Golf Carts, scooters ,mini bikes, etc. so save some trailer place and leave them at home.

We are under concent Judgement for Noise ....So NO RUNNING of Engines before 10 AM or after 6PM sounds worse than what it REALLY is.

NOW some of the REALLY Good......Stay tuned!!

Terry
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Waterford Hills will be having a BBQ for all workers,Drivers and Crew after the last Race on Saturday night.......rumor has it that it will be Beef Brisket with all kinds of sides. There will be a person taking DONATION'S at the line to help offset the cost.

On Friday Night there will be a Fish Fry at the log cabin as you come in to the complex.
    Starts at 5:30 and runs until 8:00
    Cost is Adults 8.00
    seniors over 62 7.50
    kids 5-10 6.00
    under 5 FREE

they have Baked fish, fried Fish, and Chicken with sides. ALL YOU CAN EAT.
    take outs available.

Also they have a FULL Bar.

Camping is available in the Campground with limited Electric, very short walk to the paddock. Great social time we always have a Good fire at the pit.

There are showers in the Campground and a shower in the drivers changing room in the paddock.

Motorhomes wont be able to stay in the paddock.

Jason has said this and i will say it again............

You will NOT get more TRACK TIME for your Moeny anywhere else
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jsteeb View Post

The planned weekend schedule is:
    Saturday morning - Practice/Qual with FV and F500
    Saturday Mid-Day – Qual Race, with FV and F500
    Saturday Evening – Round 3 US Hoosier Tire Formula First Series – (Formula First only)

Sunday Morning – Qual/Race, with FV and F500
    Sunday Afternoon – Qual/Race, With FV and F500
    Sunday Evening – Round 4 US Hoosier Tire Formula First Series – (Formula First only)
    So we will be running three sessions each day? COOL!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Jason - I was just at Registration and don't see FST on the list of classifications?
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Bob and All you will be Group 2 with the FV's and F500's

waterford hasnt added First to the groupings but i will send a note....
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Thanks Terry
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 2

I registered as FS and posted a note to the registrar that I will be fst.Couldn't find any info,will there be tech inspection available ?

Mr. Blevins...I will let registration know that you entered in FS.

All...Yes there will be tech. 1 o 2 of the Waterford Tech folks are also SCCA inspectors, so most of the time you can get your SCCA annual at the same time you get a Waterford annual (they are the same thing). If you already have your SCCA annual you do not need to bring your car to Tech. Either way. it's nothing to worry about - a Waterford tech is no more or less painful as an SCCA tech. Same rules, same basic concepts.

this is one muffler we used ...its an old supertrap that i got for free. Basically you just need a muffler of some sort, We are pretty darn forgiving as long as it meets the sound limit.....if you put one on that is 45 or 90 degree's point it towards drivers RIGHT.

sound meter is on drivers LEFT 1/4 way down back straight. Another tid bit, if your close to limit just make sure you pass sound with another car.....

its really NOT HARD to pass sound with our cars.
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

ok i will throw this out ......i have 2 waterford mufflers ....we are Not running that weekend and if your collector is the same size as mine i will loan them out.
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 8

Default Sorry about that, Chief!

[FONT=Monaco]as Maxwell Smart would have said. Waterford Hills Registration has added Formula First to the class list. Thanks for pointing that out![/FONT]

steve

Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Default Muffler

I also have a muffler (Supertrap) that I will loan out if there are still people in need. I even have a support bracket made up that fits the push bar of a EVO. That makes 3 loaners so hopefully mufflers don't keep people away.

Liked: 151

Default Nelson

One thing for certain the stalwarts going to Nelson Ledges won’t be needing any mufflers and should have plenty of fun making noise. The weather is starting to look better than it did earlier in the week and there should be plenty of opportunity to test out the winter modifications.

A word to the wise is there has been plenty of rain in Northern Ohio so pack your rubber boots and don’t make too many holes in the ground so that water can get out.
    I’ll be getting to the track about 8am Friday to help Bob Stack with last minute prep. Best guess is that open wheel practice will go off about 10:30. I’m a bit disappointed that so many are passing on the race and more disappointed the new RGU Racing Evolution won’t be coming either. George has a pressing, unscheduled family concern that will prevent the debut even though the car would have been ready. I’m hoping the EVO can make it to Detroit next month. Maybe it can use Dave’s muffler and mount.

See you there. We’ll have some pictures and some results for you all.

Liked: 10

Default Roll Call

So with the first round won and done its on to Waterford Hills - so time for a field count - who's going to be there and who is definately not coming - can we get into double digits!!

Heres the list I have to date

Yes
    Jason Steeb
    Dave Blevins
    Rob Clark
    Doug Seim
    Dave Dawson
    Jim Nash
    Bob Stack

Maybe?
    George Podgorski
    Randy Shin
    Sam Farmiga

Nope
    Reece Everard

Bill - any of the Chicago Mafia coming to WH?

If I missed anyone or got you in the wrong group let us know!

Rob

Liked: 25

Default I'm in

I am in for Waterford Hills.

Sam

Liked: 151

Default Muffler and O/A Length

For Waterford only, the overall length rule will be relaxed so that the muffler is not included in the measurement. To clarify, if the muffler is 4 inches long your car can be 4 inches longer too. Be sure to install it carefully and brace it as necessary. We make this exception because don’t want you to compromise your system so that at the next race you’ll need to reweld your tail pipe.

If you have questions or reservations get them out now so that the board has plenty of time to consider them.

Default Roll Call - Update - 8 and Counting!!

Ok heres the latest count...but I don't see a lot of NOs....so where are the MIA folks Are you in or out for Waterford??

Yes
    Jason Steeb
    Dave Blevins
    Rob Clark
    Doug Seim
    Dave Dawson
    Jim Nash
    Sam Farmiga
    Bob Stack

Maybe?
    George Podgorski
    Randy Shin

Nope
    Reece Everard

If you cars not ready I know Jim Schings has renters available......Jason's done a lot of work to pull this together and we are the 'feature' class so lets put on the best field we can.

Rob

Liked: 601

Default Waterford - muffler

One added bonus that comes from equipping your car with a muffler, is being able to put it back on when running the engine after some service, when your "race shop" is at home. The neighbors may say they don't care much, about the noise at first, but after a while....... And it's interesting the things you can hear, that are lost when you have it removed.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 190

What, no mention of me as a maybe?
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Default Bill check my previous post.....

.....Bill - any of the Chicago Mafia coming to WH?

I was waiting for smoke signals

Default Cookin' up a deal for WHRRI

Rob,

That was my point....

Originally, your "Mafioso" quote was under the heading of Nope. Then in the later post, reference to us "Westie" types had been removed alltogether.

My suggestion for thought is that although thing are down, never count me out
    Bill Bonow

Bill

To be pedantic

My 'mafioso' quip was separated from the 'Nope' list, not in it, because I didn't want to commit you to thing's without some sense of where you, Butch and Carl were at.

You were left out of the following post because was still waiting for word....

I never count you out on or off track, and I am looking forward to seeing you in both situations soon.

Rob

Rob,

Just yankin' your chain. Thought you might like the "Westie" reference .

On a separate note, saw the post race photos from Nelson and it looks like I will need to bring the portable podium/backdrop with me.

Double digit entries are always good.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 06.04.11 at 12:13 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 50

I have a maybe on another rental for Waterford. I should know for sure Monday.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Default Roll Call - the PC Version

Ok, lets try this again......Good news is we are closing in on a double digit field!!!!!

Yes
    Jason Steeb
    Dave Blevins
    Rob Clark
    Doug Seim
    Dave Dawson
    Jim Nash
    Sam Farmiga
    Bob Stack

Maybe?
    George Podgorski
    Randy Shin
    Bill 'Westie' Bonow
    SR Racing Renter
    Anyone else in the world I haven't mentioned who might possible come to Waterford

Definate No
    Reece Everard
    Butch Deer
    Carl Middlelegge

Default Question for Jason or Steve Steeb

I forgot to bring this up last weekend at Nelson. With all the screwing around with SCCA over the homologation of the Citation, they did not get the certificate out yet but sent me a "two race letter" saying the car was approved but the paperwork had to be completed on their end.

At Nelson the Tech inspector was fine with it.

However, the car DOES NOT yet have a log book, just the "SCCA Tech Two Race Letter"

Is this going to be an issue at Waterford?

I just registered and paid, but figure I better check this issue before making the tow.

Bob
    Last edited by lawyerbob; 06.03.11 at 10:25 AM.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Bob,

No Worries i will make sure you dont have any issue's

Terry
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Abbott View Post
    Bob,

No Worries i will make sure you dont have any issue's

Terry
    Thanks Terry! Now if I can just keep my motor running! lol

See you all in a few weeks!

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Rental Ride Available

Disclaimer: This is not my car and you will need to make arrangements with the car owner (Brian Finegan aka racerx6212, PM or email).

Anyone looking for a top notch rental ride for the Waterford (or any other FST event), this could be your opportunity. I used this car at a few US FST events last year (and won one), led a number of laps at last years ARRC (finished 3rd). It has been profesionally maintained by LMI (Lindstrand Motorsports, Inc) and is ready to run up front. Get in contact with Brian and strike up a deal.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.27.13 at 3:32 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Looks like we do have another renter. So that makes 2 from us. (Rob Clark and a mystery guy.) I will let him introduce himself if he chooses.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Default Pains me to say this but . . . .

Well, I cut open the oil filter on my motor tonight and clear as day there are "gold" shavings which suggests the brass (or bronze - can't remember) timing gear is going or has gone away. I have someone coming over on Thursday night to take a look at which point we will decide what needs to be done, but I'm guessing that he will have to split the case and at the very least inspect everything and probably replace somethings.

With only two weekends between now and Waterford Hills, it seems pretty much impossible that I will have a running car for those races.

I won't cancel just yet, but I'm assuming you'll have to count me out until Gratten.

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 58

Default a lot of them?

Bob,

How many shavings are were in there? Its not unusual for me to see a few in there due to the normal wear of the gears.

Doug FST 5

I'd say I saw about 2-3 slivers about 1/4" - 3/8" long, very fine. As RGU suggested, I plan to drain the oil into a new pan before the guy comes on Thursday to take a look so we'll see what he thinks of the situation.

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

At the NL race you had the distributor on and off several times. The distributor is the only thing that holds the steel distributor drive gear in the the brass crank gear. Since your distributor was not locked down securely, the steel gear simply ground some slivers off the crank gear. Put it all together properly and check the advance and scatter. I suspect you are fine. This is not abnormal.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    At the NL race you had the distributor on and off several times. The distributor is the only thing that holds the steel distributor drive gear in the the brass crank gear. Since your distributor was not locked down securely, the steel gear simply ground some slivers off the crank gear. Put it all together properly and check the advance and scatter. I suspect you are fine. This is not abnormal.
    Ok thanks Jim - we'll see how fast this guy can get it done I guess. Not cancelling yet
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 58

Default I'm with Jim

I agree that the distributor trouble is the source of the problem. Fix that, new oil, ready to go.

Doug FST 5

Quote Originally Posted by Doug FST 5 View Post
    I agree that the distributor trouble is the source of the problem. Fix that, new oil, ready to go.

Doug FST 5
    You don't think we will need to tear it down and check the bearings etc? That would be great that's for sure

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information