Liked: 0

Default New guy looking to join FB in the PNW

Hi all, this is my first post here. I've been looking over the site trying to get caught up on as much info as I can for a few days. Currently I run a 250cc superkart and thinking about jumping ship into the ranks of FB sometime next year. My job is going to severely limit how much I can race, so I'm also contemplating a rental if available locally. I've been racing karts for a little over 20 years, running sprints up to a 250cc twin which has a similar power to weight ratio, but the reliability factor, lack of ergonomics, and lack of local participation has me looking at other racing options now. FB or F1000 seems like a natural progression forward.

I searched around and don't see any kind of newbie FAQ, is there any kind of general post that contains all the relevant info for a new guy like me? I'd like to get started with something cheap, and then eventually move up to a competitive new chassis like the Stohr F1000 or equivalent. Any general advice or tips on looking for cars? Any cars in the PNW available for rent for a few races?

TIA

Welcome to the group. Living in the PNW will prove to be a great spot for you to join FB/F1000.
    lots of cars to run against and lots of tracks to practice at.

Feel free to call me to discuss any questions you may have and also discuss rental options!

Cheers
    Kyle 604 346 5953

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default As well firman west cars on the west coast has a full rental

As well firman west cars on the west coast has a full rental program

Www.firmanwestcars.com
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Rice View Post
    ....I searched around and don't see any kind of newbie FAQ, is there any kind of general post that contains all the relevant info for a new guy like me? I'd like to get started with something cheap, and then eventually move up to a competitive new chassis like the Stohr F1000 or equivalent. Any general advice or tips on looking for cars? Any cars in the PNW available for rent for a few races? TIA

Kyle,

Welcome to this Forum and you're gonna love car road racing in the Northwest. As you may be aware, they broke ground on the new Shelton track this past week and it will be open for business in 2012. That will give us SEVEN tracks within 6 hours drive from Seattle area.

What you NEED to do is get involved with ICSCC (reciprocal licensing with SCCA). They have a very resonable driving school and novice system for newbies. Get all of the info here:

http://www.icscc.com/

The IRDC (part of ICSCC) has a race weekend at Pacific May 21/22. GOOD time to come out and see what's happening. Find the Pro 3 encampment and they'll hold your hand forever Some of them have rentals too.

There will also be open wheelers ALL of whom will be happy to answer questions and let you try their cars on for size.

Expecting a GOOD F1000 turn out for the SCCA Double National over the May 28 to 30 weekend at Pacific also. Good time to see them in action and drool a little.

You DO NEED experience in some other class such as FF or FC before straping on an F1000. Serious speed and cornering capability 'beyond' novice level for sure.

See you at the track
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    You DO NEED experience in some other class such as FF or FC before straping on an F1000. Serious speed and cornering capability 'beyond' novice level for sure.
    +1. Great advice!

Liked: 16

Hey Kyle,

You will adapt to the F1000 just fine. Very similar to a superkart, just heavier and you are strapped in. I like the cars more than the 250s now because they are more comfortable and reliable.

I'm going to be racing at Portland International Fri and Sat. You should stop by and I can show you around.

For those of you that don't know much about what kind of karts Superkarts are, they are only 2 seconds per lap slower than a FB at PIR. They have LOTS of corner speed!

J.R. Osborne

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Have you guys seen Superkarts before? If not, maybe dial some up on YT. I don't totally disagree with wading in at the FF/FC level, a very sensible + measured approach, great for driver development, but coming from Superkarts - not 125 shifters - Kyle is fully acclimated to serious speed and cornering capability beyond the novice level. For sure.

Aaron

Liked: 210

Well, driving a machine that can whip around a dime at 130 MPH is 'good schooling', agreed.

But, learning the subtle balances involved in driving a 'race car' quickly is a slightly different matter. You don't have a vehicle that stops in 35 feet or less when spun out at 90 plus MPH or, that stops in 20 feet when brakes are briskly applied.

The understanding of quickness is there from the karts but not the refined techniques of doing it with a race car.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default I think this fella

will do just fine stepping out of a 250 Super Kart and into an FB.
    I seem to remember some other fella who did just the same thing in DSR (AND CSR), then FB; initials are JR something or other...

It's the guy who wants to get an FB car straight out of 2 races in a Spec Miata, who previously ran his own painting company successfully for 23 years that concerns me.

Liked: 49

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!

Looking at the laptimes in the recent pro series events, I think there is still a huge spread of abilities (or is it braveness?). I think someone out of superkarts should fit somewhere in between! Those things are pretty darn quick, the FB actually looks easier to drive from the videos I've seen hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    I seem to remember some other fella who did just the same thing in DSR (AND CSR), then FB; initials are JR something or other...
    Post #6 above....actually, one of the inspirations in looking into this direction. JR is insanely fast in anything he drives. I have another friend locally that recently bought an FB that is also coming over from karting. This may become a trend.

I appreciate all the feedback and info so far, looks like a great community of racers. To me, that is really what makes racing fun.

i will keep researching and poke around here and there with other questions I'm sure, and will try and make it to some races this year. Unfortunately due to my work schedule anything before August is out, but i might see about renting a FV or FF before the year is up to get my feet wet in a new avenue. I still have few big kart races this year to defend my title too though! Hopefully i can line up my own car for next season to race.

Default New to F1000 in the PNW

I have known Kyle for many years. He is one of the most tallented drivers I have seen. He is quite smart behind the wheel and knows when to back off on the "Loud peddle". Kyle, go join IRDC and have fun. Welcome to the world of racecars.

Thread Information