Liked: 0

Default Question: Shipping a car

Anyone have experience having a car (and spares/tires) shipped? I am considering buying a car in the Midwest, and shipping it to New England. 1500 lb car, three sets of wheels, & spares. If anyone knows what the latest $/mile 'rule of thumb' of thumb is it would be helpful. Recommendations based on good experience with a shipping outfit would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
    Les

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

yes - had a SRF shipped from Portland to Dallas last month by BATS racing based on a recommendation on this site. Great service, no issues, no damage, prompt. and their price was far less than the big companies.
    Call Karen at 541-980-5885
    http://batsmotorsports.com/

Liked: 232

Default Shipping A Car ...........

..... from a former college student Roadway dockworker.

FIRST - forklift to dock/truck/dock forklift (business to business) cheapest way.
    I found ForwardAir,Swift as well as R&L reasonable. Pick up and delivery to the terminal also cheaper - they will load/unload from a pick-up w/ a forklift if on a pallet. I still ship my motors (er ... Class 315 "Power Generator") in this fashion.

SECOND - remove ALL suspension, mirrors, nose - wrap in foam and place inside car - width costs money.

THIRD - Pallet the freight - build a pallet - no less than 6" oversize - the last time i did this i went a found a few pallets took them apart and used their "lightweight" wood materials w/ new 2" x 4" - Harley Stores always had "old' shipping materials around.

FOURTH - tie it down - trucks ( NOT auto transports glide rides) ride rough - use GOOD quality ANCRA tie downs to affix - NOT far east CRAP !

I found a loading dock at a local business with a forklift -- the guy like racing so he let me used the dock at the end of the workday - I call for first AM pick up - loaded the car on the pallet removed all the pre loose'nd suspension and tied it down - the wheels were places on a separate pallet - i use pre cut 1/4 cheap plywood in between - I am NOT sure heavy cardboard would NOT work in between but ply on the top held the metal banding. four wheels with tires were shipped to re assemble --- Given the cheap cost of the clear wrapping material - i would now wrap the entire car and the wheels thru the pallet - label each wheel with a separate address and place onthe wheel w/ clear tape.

You get the picture - the cars (actually three) with 30 wheels were shipped from CA to FLA then airfreight to San Jose Costa Rice for racing and back to FLA as the new home --

If cost is NOT a major concern ? then hire "roll-on/roll off" glide rides (Horseless Carriage. Passport, BAT) etc is your choice.

My recommendation ? ROAD TRIP !!!! Pick-up/van w/ open trailer for lightness w/ a few CD's and a good Buddy - leave Conn. on Friday night, a few gas-'n-goes, arrive in the midwest on Sat - load up - wrap in clear for road grime - wheels in the truck - spend Saturday dinner night planning for the season - sleep a few hours and head back early Sunday -- It would be good training for future tows and racing Heck - it is only the MIDWEST ! We just towed from FLA to VIR/VA to race twice w/ multiple back and forth trips to RDU Airport. 2498 miles.
    Last edited by Swift17; 04.21.11 at 5:24 AM.

Liked: 17

I, or rather the previous owner, shipped my car from the west coast to MA. I went to the freight warehouse with my trailer and picked it up. They had never had anyone ship a race car and pallet-o-parts before, so BRING PICTURES, etc.

But I agree, with the midwest, I'd do the road trip, if you can schedule it.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 212

sunday transport
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

...or Intercity in MA. They specialize in exotic and race cars. I have used them multiple times and they do an excellent job

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

I second Intercity. Great service, good price, right to my door (and if you know what kind of road I live on that's saying something).
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

ASRF1000

Exotic Transport out of Orlando, FL shipped my F1000 with tires from Houston to FL. They did an excellent job and have transporters all over the country. Very quick service and reliable.

Liked: 605

ditto Exotic

Thread Information