Liked: 1

Default VSCDA Adds Sport Touring Group to Spring Brake

GINGERMAN SPRING BRAKE DRIVER’S SCHOOL & RACES
    GingerMan Raceway, South Haven, MI
    April 28 – May 1, 2011
    VSCDA Sport Touring Group

Classroom: Thursday, April 28, 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
    On-Track Sessions: Friday, April 29, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Sport Touring is a low pressure introduction to vintage racing without the expense and commitment of purchasing a race car and all the necessary paraphernalia needed to go racing. You will attend a classroom session with race car drivers, but your on-track driving sessions are done in your street legal car. You do drive at high speed, but you are in a controlled environment as far as passing is concerned. You will have the option of having a race driver instructor in the car to talk you around the track.
    Upon completion of the Sport Touring Course, you will receive a certificate of participation, but you will not receive driving credentials--or driving privileges with VSCDA--as the result of this training.
    The Sport Touring Course is designed to give you direct exposure to motor sport racing. You can expect to come away with a better understanding of what is involved in becoming a race car driver. You will get to drive at speed on a closed race circuit. VSCDA Sport Touring is an excellent opportunity to help you learn if race car driving is for you.

Sport Touring Group (STG) Requirements
    The Car

• Must be a street legal car (no race cars).
    • If it is a convertible, it must have a roll bar. All roll bars must be approved by VSCDA Technical Inspection.
    • The OEM 3 Point Harness.
    • Tires must be speed rated with an H rating minimum. No race or R spec tires.
    • The tires, steering, suspension, etc., must be in good condition with no play or looseness anywhere.
    • All loose objects must be removed form the interior and trunk compartments of the vehicle.
    • No fluid leaks of any kind will be tolerated.
    • Your car number must be placed on all four sides of the car and in a contrasting color. The numbers must be a minimum of 8" high with a thickness of 1-1/2". Contact brand paper works best and will not mar the paint. Wax the painted area first before applying for easier removal later. Bring extra paper along, as there are often changes required. Numbers may also be displayed from inside the rear passenger windows.

The Driver

• Clothing: long sleeve shirt and long pants
    • Preferably, the pants and shirt should be make of cotton. Nylon and rayon burn in a very nasty manner and should be avoided.
    • Closed shoes; no high heels or boots.
    • SA2000 or newer helmet. No M spec helmets.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q. How old do I have to be?
    A.
    You must be at least 18 years of age.
    Q. How much is the school?
    A.
    The Driver's School for STG participants is $195, plus a discounted, temporary VSCDA membership fee if the driver is not already a 2011 VSCDA member.
    Q. Must I be a VSCDA member to participate in STG?
    A.
    Yes. If you are not already a VSCDA member, you must join in order to participate in the Sport Touring Group. You may opt to purchase a complete VSCDA annual membership for $95.00, or you can take advantage of a discounted, temporary membership of $47.50 for Sport Touring Group participants.
    Q. Do I need a medical exam to participate in STG?
    A.
    No medical exam is needed, but a brief trackside medical information form must be completed and turned in at registration.
    Q. Where can I find a STG entry form?
    A.
    Online at www.vscda.org. Click GingerMan Entry Form.
    Q. Can I drive a race car in STG?
    A.
    No. STG is only for street legal cars. All cars must have adequate mufflers and no convertibles will be allowed without an approved roll bar. All roll bars are subject to VSCDA Technical Inspection.
    Q. Do I need race tires and brakes to participate in STG?
    A.
    No. We encourage the use of street tires for all participants. No novices will be allowed to run R-Compound tires. Race pads designed for racing may not be appropriate for STG. Use DOT approved pads, and bring one extra set of pads per driver.
    Q. Do I need a driving suit to participate in STG?
    A.
    No. Although a racing suit is encouraged, a cotton long sleeve shirt and long pants are better than synthetic (fire protection). Wear sneaker-type, flat-soled, non-slip shoes and socks. No high heels! No boots or sandals!
    Q. What type of helmet do I need to have?
    A.
    You must have a helmet that is Snell approved SA2000 or newer. No "M" Spec helmets will be allowed.
    Q. Must I have a fire bottle mounted inside my car?
    A.
    No.
    Q. Do I have to get my car teched before going to school?
    A.
    The car must be teched prior to going on the track. Tech Inspection will be open Thursday afternoon.
    Q. What will tech do?
    A.
    Tech will check your car for all of the required safety gear, including--but not limited to--driver and passenger restraints and helmet. They also will check the general condition of your car and tires, particularly looking for loose items.
    Q. Does my car need a passenger seat?
    A.
    Yes. A passenger seat is required with restraints equal to that of the driver. Belts must include a lap and shoulder restraint.
    Q. Is fuel available at the track?
    A.
    Yes, but we encourage you to fill your tank before you come to the track.
    Q. Can someone come with me?
    A.
    It is helpful to have a friend with you, who can fuel your car and check your oil and tire pressure. Your friend is welcome to attend the Thursday evening class.
    Q. Must I attend the Thursday evening class?
    A.
    Yes. You must attend the Thursday evening classroom session from 7PM to 10 PM in order to drive on Friday. In that class, you learn flagging, what will be expected of you on Friday, racing terms, strategies, etiquette, rules...You will be assigned your instructor. The classroom session will also give you a understanding of what vintage racing is all about. It will also give you insight on what it takes to be a race car driver. This may be helpful in your decision to move further into the sport of auto racing.
    Q. What is the instructor to student ratio?
    A.
    We try to keep the instructor/student ratio 1 to 1.
    Q. What supplies can I get at the track?
    A.
    Racing fuel, air and water are available at the track, as well as food and beverages.
    Q. Are tires available at the track?
    A.
    Tires are not available at the track.
    Q. What do I need to know about Friday?
    A.
    Be well rested. Bring plenty of water or Gatorade and do not be late. We start on time--7:30 a.m.
    Q. How do I get to know the track?
    A.
    We start out by acquainting you with the track. You will drive the track with a guest instructor who will point out the correct line, brake points, corner stations, and other information that you will need to know in order to safely drive on a race track.
    Q. Are all students on the track at the same time?
    A.
    Yes. The Sport Touring Group is run as a single group.
    Q. How much track time will I have?
    A.
    You will be on the track all day, with intermittent sessions with other race groups. Typically, you get 6 sessions--or approximately 2 hours of track time--plus your classroom critique sessions.
    Q. If I pass the school, will I be permitted to race with VSCDA?
    A.
    No. The Sport Touring Group is an introduction to racing and car control. It is not considered to be a race school and, thus, does not give you racing privileges with VSCDA or any other race group.
    Q. What can I expect to get out of this school?
    A.
    You will get direct exposure to motor sport racing and come away with a better understanding of what is involved in becoming a race car driver and driving on a closed race circuit at speed.

More information at:

http://WWW.VSCDA.org
    Last edited by teds300; 04.17.11 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added hotlink to VSCDA Website.

Thread Information