Liked: 79

Default Hewland Mk9 Oil Level

I know the tranny lube capacity, as well as how much is needed after each gear change. However, if the transaxle assy with belhousing/wing/wheel attached were sitting in the corner of my garage for as few months with the "tail" down" Some lube was weeping out and I would like to know if there is some visual level it can be filled to as it is not known how much was lost. Years ago, somebody mentioned to remove the side drain plug, and the oil level should be just below the hole.

Thanks
    Bob

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coury View Post
    I know the tranny lube capacity, as well as how much is needed after each gear change. However, if the transaxle assy with belhousing/wing/wheel attached were sitting in the corner of my garage for as few months with the "tail" down" Some lube was weeping out and I would like to know if there is some visual level it can be filled to as it is not known how much was lost. Years ago, somebody mentioned to remove the side drain plug, and the oil level should be just below the hole.

Thanks
    Bob
    Bob,

I just had mine apart to check the gears and change oil. After raising the nose to drain the r&p area I added just under 1 1/2 qts of Redline Shockproof per Taylor recommendations.

After sitting overnight after running/shifting the lube is about 1 1/4 inch below the bottom of the left side plug opening. FYI I used a 90 degree bent wire as a dipstick. "Visually" the oil level appears to be a little bit below the case rib below the plug opening.

Dick
    85 VD FF1600

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Merely

1) Stick any of 10 or 11 various appendage(s) into the hole, and if the VW logo on the main case is upside down, as is the case on most formula cars I have ever seen, the GEAR LUBE level should be just below the fill plug hole.

2) Wipe residual gear lube off of appendage.

Liked: 9

Default Don't waste it !!!!

2) Wipe residual gear lube off of appendage.
    In these recessional/recyclable times, I get double duty out of just about everything. If I had lube on an appendage, let alone 10 or 11 of them, I'd run right in the door and yell "Martha, brace yourself." . Just a normal part of Shoe String Racing.

On the FM, my notes (tattoed right here on my left forearm) say gear lube should be "one knuckle" (about 1") below the hole. And no, I don't stick an appendage in there; I use a short thin screwdriver bent 90 deg.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default From the FFU days.....

Steve Beeler's dipstick design for Mk series
    Last edited by Rick Kirchner; 11.13.11 at 10:47 PM.

Interesting. 1 1/2 quarts, assuming a Redline bottle is a quart, will not fill to that level. Taylor says 1 1/2 for road racing and 2 for ovals for a fill. 1/2 quart less for just a gear change.

Dick

Liked: 9

Default Taylor on the FM level

This from 11 years ago. http://formulamazdaforum.yuku.com/re...ils#reply-2886

Gentlemen,

The correct way to ensure that your FM gearbox is correctly filled is to drain it completely when changing gears. This means removing the plug at the bottom of the diff section and letting the residual oil drain from the diff section. Then, on reassembly, add 1.5 quarts. This will bring the level up to the correct level. It can be roughly checked by the "knuckle method." Stick your index finger into the gearbox side fill hole till the first joint will let you reach down to the oil with our fingertip.

On the ovals, add 1/2 quart to keep the ring gear wet on continuous lh turns.

Do not overfill, as this will cause overheating as too much oil will get caught between the gears, pumping out the end of the gears. This also causes a loss of horsepower (that is where the heat comes from)

Hope this helps.

Craig Taylor
    Taylor Race Engineering, Inc.
    800-922-4327
    tayrace1@airmail.net
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default All that talk

about appendages and I totally forgot about the knuckle deal, my bad.

Liked: 79

Thanks to all!

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

remember the FM box is right side up and the hole might be higher or lower then the FF box upside down.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    Interesting. 1 1/2 quarts, assuming a Redline bottle is a quart, will not fill to that level. Taylor says 1 1/2 for road racing and 2 for ovals for a fill. 1/2 quart less for just a gear change.

Dick
    I checked the level in the Redline bottle I thought was a "little" over half full. Turns out it was closer to 2/3 full. Now it is a little under half full and the oil level in my FF Mk9 is about 3/4 (i.e. knuckle) below the hole . . . probably no big deal for short autox runs either way.

Dick

Liked: 601

Default Hewland Mk9 oil level

Be careful. Overfilling any gearbox/transaxle can increase how hot it runs. Also, the input seals on the Mk series, were designed to be above the oil level, as in Ted's case. They don't do a very good job when under it.
    I still only use 1 quart for a Mk series, always have since 1971.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 235

Here's what I do. Hope it's right. Been doing it since I read it in late 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by JHaydon View Post
    snip ...

Someone recently posted a photo here of a dipstick with measurements for more precise checks. Take a rod or piece of thin strap (1/2" x 1/8") aluminum, and bend it in a 90 degree angle so that one leg (the "dip") is about 2 - 2.5" long. Scribe a mark 1.875" down from the bend. That's your target: 1.875" below the bottom of the side filler hole. The other end of the stick can be whatever kind of handle you like.
    (from http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...gear+lube+fill)

My addition: just make sure the "handle" end is too large to accidentally fit through the hole.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 141

Don't want to make anyone cringe but here's what I do - use a long tiewrap as a dipstick from the oil fill hole on top of the tranny - feeding it down between the gears and the inside of the case. Once I find oil on the end of the tiewrap (after several progressively deeper dips) I then compare this length (or level if you like) on the outside of the tranny case to make sure it comes to approx same height as the center of the lower shaft. Then I'm happy since both Mk and FT200 Hewlands are splash lubrication and this insures the gear teeth will - well - splash.

If it's a daft idea I'll stop doing it and delete this post - but it's worked for 25 years

Liked: 0

I just drained 54 US Fl Oz out of my Mk 9 in a FF/CF (Lola T440). I filled it using the bent pinky in the side hole method. I drained by loosening the Hewland component that allows me to side the gear stack out, as well as the end cover first. It drained for several days, then I measured and stored the fluid.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default Gear oil

American Quart or English quart
    our pint is 20 ounces
    yours is 16
    regards
    paul

Thread Information