Liked: 0

Default 88 VD assembly thread

Good friend of mine just picked up an RF88. really nice car except it is un-assembled. Most of the suspension fasteners did not come with.
    What kind of special nut and bolt goes in the lower control arm end of the shock rod. Also dumb founded at some of the other control arm hardware that secures the lower control arms to the chassis.

Also when we got to the back end we discovered missing ears off the lower end of the up right. We have one side so I guess we can have new ones made unless someone has spares

-how much oil goes in the dry sump tank?

- we are each going to have to make a seat insert Crefoam or the 2 part expanding stuff. No seat at all so do we sort of make a box to keep us off the chassis?

Guess we can start this as a newb just bought a real race car thread.

New owner has a CSP Miata
    And I am the hired gun /wrench that drives a shifter kart.

Liked: 210

You'll get lots of help here but not from me. Only know about Reynards.

These people are a major source of Van Diemen parts and information:

http://www.primusracingparts.com/

And you might want to get in contact/ start a relationship with your local prep shop.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 5

Default 88 VD

Shock rod attaches with 5/16 allen bolt sae with jet nut.
    I've taken a few pic's . I still have 88 here for now can answer any questions ,call me 803 920 5756 . I don't type very fast ,and this would take me for ever.
    Asphalt is for Racing Grass is for Passing
    CEC Racing RF96 #97
    Chuck Cecil

Liked: 10

Another good source of VD parts.

http://www.universalracing.co.uk/

Simon is great. Plus he just discovered a significantly less expensive shipping method (long story).

Dick
    CM 85
    85 VD RF-85 . . . similar to your 88 but rocker rear suspension.

So jet nuts must be someting spiffy. Googled it and now I understand.

Liked: 42

On my 89 they were nylocks not jetnuts and never had a problem with those coming loose.

Getting at the nuts up front is a booger. thin wall socket won't fit. Thought for a moment that one side should have been threaded. Hmm thinking of still maybe doing that mod.

Liked: 10

Regarding how much oil: If the 88 is similar to my 85, with a flashlight you can look down into the filler neck and see a "shelf". I was told by experts to fill to the shelf. I was actually told to check with the engine running. Due to the location of the tailpipe I don't do that but I do check right after shutting down to make sure oil hasn't drained into the dry sump from the tank. For reference with a dry system except for residual oil in the engine and dry sump after dyno runs mine took about 4.5 Qts including a remote filter whose lines and filter were dry (no oil cooler). Mine is a 1600 Kent.

What about the control arm hardware dumbfounds you? Remember in race cars the goal is for suspension stuff to tear off in a crash without damaging the frame. My understanding is that 85 plus VD's are rather good at that.

For my 85 the only jetnuts I actually need are for the inner CV's. However, Chuck Cecil has TONS of on track experience and I just autocross (other than drivers' school at Roebling in 92 when Chuck passed me many times as an instructor )

Dick
    CM 85
    85VD

Liked: 15

Nice we are in the same state. - Sent email...
    TeamFRD-1988 Van Diemen RF88-1267 FF1600 Solo:CM#99/199 http://yspect8.weebly.com

Thread Information