Liked: 384

Post Left foot braking question

To all racers that successfully using left foot braking i have a question.
    I have 02 Russel FM with 5 speed race gearbox(reversed H pattern)
    I don't have to use clutch to up shift ,but downshift does require clutch.
    Since downshifting also requires braking ,and this is just crazy engineering mind speaking...-
    would linking brake and clutch pedal do any good?
    Probably wouldn't ,but any feedback would be entertaining.
    Also if crazy doesn't work ,what is proper sequence of using left foot braking?

Thanx in advance.
    M.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Kazis31 View Post
    To all racers that successfully using left foot braking i have a question.
    I have 02 Russel FM with 5 speed race gearbox(reversed H pattern)
    I don't have to use clutch to up shift ,but downshift does require clutch.
    Since downshifting also requires braking ,and this is just crazy engineering mind speaking...-
    would linking brake and clutch pedal do any good?
    Probably wouldn't ,but any feedback would be entertaining.
    Also if crazy doesn't work ,what is proper sequence of using left foot braking?

Thanx in advance.
    M.
    I would consider an ignition cut micro switch on the shift tower. Its a dog type gearbox, set the micro switch for 40 miliseconds to start and that should give you the time to downshift.

The other method is to pop it into neutral, left foot brake, then select the gear you want with an ignition cut micro switch on the shift tower.

Darrick Dong

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Kazis31 View Post
    .....Since downshifting also requires braking ,and this is just crazy engineering mind speaking... what is proper sequence of using left foot braking?
    Thanx in advance. M.
    When you're in that situation and need to clutch/brake.... the 'proper technique is 'heel and toe' gas/brake.

If you've got to clutch, there's no technique of left foot clutching and braking that would be faster then 'standard' heel and toe.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Post re

Thank you.
    So practically speaking on older formula cars -heal and toe.
    But for ,let's say Pro Mazda with paddle shifters or sequential gearbox with clutch less up -down shifting ,left foot braking.

M.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Lefty

Darrrick's got it right, although I don't think FM would allow the microswitch thingie...
    I dunno.

On multiple downchange corner entrance:
    Left foot on brake, as slightly preloaded shifter slips into neutral.
    Right foot is blipping the throttle, and yes, there is such as thing as blipping too high in revs.
    As you are ready to put it into whatever gear you want/need, just time it right and it will snick right in.

On single down change, just go to that gear, anything 2 or more gears lower, take a quick visit to neutral...

So there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Fm could be comfortably driven using left foot braking without shredding gearbox.
    THANX EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT.
    NOW IT'S TRACK TIME........

Maris.

Liked: 146

Another technique for mutiple left-foot downshifts, I think, is to quickly repeat the blip-and-snick move through every gear going down. At pre-Runoffs testing a couple years ago Jamie Sloan, for one, is as smooooth as any sequential or paddle shifter doing this while braking for turn 5. I don't get to WATCH FMs going around the track much, but that is the one thing I remember from that day.

Dale V.

Liked: 9

Default Russell using Mk 9?

I was under the impression that Russell cars had the same Mk9 box that we Star FM's do. The only difference with the school set up was that first and reverse were locked out, which means nothing to this discussion. Am I wrong?

If you have a standard Mk9, I wouldn't worry too much about downshifts, just do it.

Take Glenn's advice if you think you need to be extra slick or careful, but I don't and the box (and the expendable dog rings) have held up quite nicely in 7 years. While I do step down thru the gears one at a time instead of skipping one or 2, I don't consider myself to be all that coordinated or quick or smooth. So I'm not being coy when I say that if I can LF brake and shift without the clutch, anyone can. JMHOWTFDIK?

There are some very authoritative articles on dog-ring clutchless shifting. The one I read when starting out is on the old FM forum back in '02 or 03. The search should find it no problem. The key to being comfortable with shifting is to 1) understand that the shift needs to happen quickly (don't be "gentle" like a synchro box) 2) dog rings are expendable and 3) you need to be able to check them and replace them yourself during a gear box inspection/service. How often? That's another thread in itself.

Of course it may be that you have a box that needs some help. From what I hear there's a wide spectrum of smoothess between a 'blueprinted' box and a beatup old box. If you think yours has been beatup by hordes of clueless Russell students, I'd send it off to Taylor or Todd Cook in AZ for an inspection/setup.

In fact, if you wanted to invest some time in learning a lot about the car in general, I'd personally take it to Todd and also introduce yourself to Moses Smith. That would pay dividends in the short and long run. (Hmmmmm, you know what? that's the smartest thing I've thought of in a week.)

Good luck.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Post re

I actually might be going to races with star Mazda guys as intern.
    I think hands on is the best way to learn.
    My gear box has WV and Audi logos on them and appears to be made in Brazil.
    guy a bought it from gave me faster 4 th and 5 th gear since it was school car it maxes out rev limiter at 130 mph.

thank you for info.

m.

Liked: 278

I have to ask: Why are you using the clutch to downshift? Totally unnecessary.

Post re

I thought it might hurt gearbox.
    But if it doesn't ,left foot braking here i came.

lol.
    m.

Liked: 278

There you go. Solved your own problem. lol

Post re

Appreciate the help.

m.

Thread Information