Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Coop Chronicles Rd Atl National

[FONT=Times New Roman]The Coop Chronicles[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Road Atlanta [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]SCCA Double National[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]March 20, 2011[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Wow, it's hard to believe we have 5 races in the books, here in the Southeast.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]We beat the freeze in Atlanta by being at Sebring for the first of many Double Nationals, coming out of there with a pair of wins.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]We missed the next weekend’s double at Homestead/Miami, “foolishly” trying to be responsible and get back home to work, but instead getting stuck in Middle Georgia for 2 days while the ice melted, and also missed the Savannah (only non-Double National in the Southeast schedule) round at Roebling Road Raceway 2 weeks back (car was in pieces).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I’ve got a fresh engine in the car and a new engine partner – Rick Matheny of RM Racing, located in beautiful Hoschton, GA. Take a right out of the track, go about 7 miles and he’s on the left… [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]One of Rick’s engine’s just sat on the pole for the Daytona 200 with team Project 1 Atlanta and rider Jake Zemke. Typical local boy made good stuff right there…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Now it was time to see how we stack up against the main competition…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Current FB National Champion Brandon Dixon was entered, driving his Citation. All last season this was the combination to beat, and was doing a majority of the winning, eventually taking the laurels at the SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Wisconsin’s Road America in Septem-brrrr![/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Things didn’t go so flashy for me at that race, as contact in the 3rd turn of the first lap and the resulting damage to the nose and front wing pretty much put a kibosh on a podium placing, but still managed to come 4th at the checker.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Also entered at this race would be another local shoe, Keith Roberts, driving a Phoenix F1000 car. This package had already proven itself here at Road Atlanta, back in 2009’s ARRC race, in the hands of young phenom Phil De La O. Keith has many laps around here and I expected him to be on the pace for sure.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Rounding out FB entries was current Mystt Premium Vodka F1000 National Championship points leader Billy McLaughlin, who has shown much improved pace this year, running very strong at the Sebring Double, also in an RFR chassis.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]All cars present would be running the very potent 2007/2008 Suzuki GSXR1000 engine.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Qualifying got off to a bit of a disappointment, as I suffered a pretty crazy mechanical issue that saw my left sidepod floor dragging on the track, finally bad enough to separate from the sidepod top, that eventually folded in half, back on itself. At this point I could see something poking up, but I had actually felt it the lap prior; it just wouldn’t rev out the way it had been.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Nothing left to do but come in and make some repairs…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]The first Q order for Sunday’s race had Brandon in 1st, just a tenth of a second off (my) lap record from November 2008 with a 1:21.5.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I was 2nd with a 1:23.2, and McLaughlin 3rd with a 1:24. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Roberts was unfortunately out with an engine issue, and McLaughlin and I had a ton of work to do if we ever were to keep Brandon in sight…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I walked over to the Critter General Store (Proprietor Chris Young), and wrangled a piece of 8” x 3’ aluminum sheet that would now become the new outer edge of the left sidepod floor. Some careful bending to form a new front lip, followed by a bit of trimming, drilling for mounting hardware, and finish off with a few feet of black ductape, and VIOLA!, a functional ‘pod was had.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]We had paddocked right alongside Dixon and crew as I was experiencing some issues with my pneumatic shifter, and as he had the same setup, he was more than game to assist. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Brandon had actually made a portion of the shifter wiring harness for me at The Runoffs during our marathon 23 hour install of said shifter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]The level of cooperation in SCCA never ceases to amaze me – EVERY class I have ever run in has been like this – guy’s that will do virtually anything to help you get on track, knowing that any ensuing battle will be all the better for it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]One thing I did note paddocked alongside Team Citation is that they will constantly be tweaking the chassis, making improvements, trying all sorts of things to go faster, and it seemed to be working(!), as they were waaaaaaaay ahead of the rest of us.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I really do need to enlist some permanent help – doing well in this class definitely requires it, and my one off’s with crew have been good for the most part: it’s just that I really need to make this aspect of racing become a reality.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Qualifier 2 early Sunday morning is run in much cooler conditions than the day prior, yet I can’t seem to find any rhythm and end up 3rd, almost 3 seconds back from class pole. This was starting to look bleak…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I knew I was better than the times were showing, but just couldn’t get it together in time before the session ended.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]As race time approached I knew I had to get close to Dixon and getting a good, no check that a GREAT start was going to pay huge dividends in the race outcome. More than a few of the cars directly ahead, while in faster classes would have to be passed within the first two corners, and enough distance put on them that they could not motor right past (passed?) me on the ½ mile long backstraight.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]We go out on our sighting/warm up lap and I can’t believe the speed the pace car driver is going. Usually when I make that comment the guy is crawling along, but not his time! I figure we’ll get a wave off as the first 6 or 8 rows are side by side; it’s just that the remainder of the field is so far back/strung out it’s pathetic.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]There’s the green and we’re off to the races (Um Coop, you ARE at the races – Ed.), flying by faster class cars early to brake, outside through T1, cut over to the right on the way up the hill, get a few more, and stuff a bit in T3. All told got 4, and can see Dixon a few cars ahead.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]The plan now would be to run the laps down, try to stay as close as possible, and take advantage of any opportunity. McLaughlin has made a strong start also and is in passing mode going into T1 to complete Lap 1.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I fend this attack off, but it just slows me down as I can’t take the normal (faster) line into and through T1: Run it in deep, almost to the grass on the left, hold it matted in 5th at about 12,400 rpm whilst barely brushing brake pedal in feeble attempt at appeasing brain to not engage self preservation mode. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]It works like this for the next few laps, until McLaughlin is out of reach to the rear, and Dixon is equally out of reach to the front.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]After about 5 laps or so we go FCY (Full Course Yellow / Safety Car is dispatched) for a Formula Mazda spun and sideways in the track at T7.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I don’t know what was wrong with the guy’s car, but even if it stalls, you can throw the car into gear and press the start button to “roll” the car out of the way on the starter motor. This scenario did NOT play out as described, rather we had to loose 3 or 4 laps waiting on a tow truck to get this fella out of the way.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I am a few slower class / (about to be) lapped cars behind Dixon as the green falls for the 2nd time and we’re off to the rac…, umm, “we have resumed racing”…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I am now behind Dixon, but still “a ways” back, which in Georgia can mean anything form 10 feet to 10 miles. I am actually more of a Pennsylvania ways back, something like 150-200 feet. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I concentrate on really laying it into T1 at full boogie, trying not to upset the traction circle they spoke so highly of back at Skip Barber Race School so many years ago…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]There are only a few spots on the track that I feel I might just be the teensiest bit better/faster than Brandon, and T1 is it/one of ‘em.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Over the course of the weekend, bystanders, mad men and Yorkshiremen have mentioned to me that the leading FA’s of the Grant Bros., and the top 2 FB’s are THE ONLY cars truly railing T1. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]The FA’s being a no-brainer what with their downforce enhancing tunneled floors, but getting a flat bottomed (albeit with a rear diffuser) FB car through there at full chat is a whole ‘nother story, one involving deep periods of reflection, introspection, and alternate rounds of prayer and cursing. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Mix 50 strokes with wooden spoon and spread into liberally greased 13x9x2 pan…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I am chipping away, when suddenly Ana chimes in on the radio with one of her patented “Keep Pooshing, Giancarlo” ditty’s. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I’ve no time to press the steering wheel mounted PTT (Press To Talk) button to reply, and the next time by Ana’s near prophetic urging comes crackling through the helmet speaker– “Fill his mirrors, do it!”. Wow, I think to myself, she really has been paying attention to the F1 broadcast chatter…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Just as I am almost to a drafting position, we go FCY yet again, this time for a few incidents that see one car on fire after a wild ride through the T10 gravel trap, and yet another car spun in T7.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Now we circulate behind the safety car for another 4 laps or so.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]We are about to go green as indicated by the SC’s rooftop mounted lightbar being extinguished.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]On the approach to the bridge, Dixon has slowed, and it’s deja-vu all over again, taking me back to ARRC 2008 and following Pritchard in the Piper, only that time we were the #1 and 2 cars directly behind the SC.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Just as that time, I stay glued to the Citation, perhaps a tad too close as I had to brake slightly, just as Brandon lit the fuse, flying out from under the bridge.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]It’s blind up to and over T11/Bridge, so this maneuver is not for the feint of heart, nor anyone without literally years of running at Rd A. Thankfully Dixon and I have both and the feat is pulled off Keith Stone smooth like…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]As we cross the stripe it’s 15 laps completed, 3 to go…[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I am directly in the Citation slipstream running down the front straight, and start to move right as I come up on the car proper. Dixon does the only thing he can do and matches my move. As the leader, he can only take one defensive (blocking) move – none of this mirror driving blocking BS like one may witness in other forms of motorsport is allowed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I quickly see where this is headed and whip it left, keep it matted, do the aforementioned wussy brake pedal brush, and pull by on the outside.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Going up the T1 hill I look in the mirror and Dixon has dropped back a bit. What the?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]At first I thought I may have brushed him, but I swear there was no contact. Maybe he’s running out of gas, and hiccupped?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I almost over shoot T3 in my haste to get gone, and concentrate on hitting the maximum marks, but I’ve got a DSR up ahead that is slow enough in the corners he has me running slower than I want to so that I can catch him up in the least painful place – the base of the T5 uphill left. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]As I come up to his tail in T5, Dixon has made back the gap and is right on me. It’s up outta 5, bookin’ it down the straight and fly down into the banked right hander T6. Brandon peels off early, trying to run it up the inside or rattle my cage (or both!), but I get it in there deep, and get a little wiggle on the way out.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]The sportsracer ahead has gotten into T7 too deep, suckering me in too deep also. I miss the apex, and as I accelerate out I manage to get it to upshift to 3rd and either miss the shift or went back to 2nd for a split second. In any event Dixon has to literally whip it hard right to keep from packing it into me.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]It now becomes a drag race down the back straight. Me on the left, BD to my right. Up through each gear we are never more than a foot apart. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]As we approach the T8 rise, there is debris in the track that has been there since before the last FCY, and Brandon moves right as we approach so as to not force me to run/plow/blow through the remnants of some poor chaps Formula Mazda nose cone. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]We’re topped out in 6th as we pass the blackflag station/T9, I have to do the only right thing and give him plenty of racing room in the upcoming left, T10a, just as he did for me 2 turns back.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]As we both have the same engine/transmission/shifter, we both are braking past the last marker, clicking down rapidly through the gears, 6-5-4-3-2. Then like a pair of Pro Drift cars, we both rotate and get pretty crossed up, scrambling for traction, shooting for the T10b apex. I still leave room as I’m not sure if he’s directly beside me, in too hot, or what.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]We end up nose to tail as we come down the hill, me in front.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]To my amazement, and I’m sure Brandon’s as well, the checker is being displayed 2 laps early! [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Two turns later as we are making our cool off lap it all becomes apparent why, as there are two cars that have had a coming together in T3 and lots of broken stuff and cars completely covering the track.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Surprisingly I’m not overly jacked about taking a win that was made possible by a FCY bunching of the field and a crash induced shortening of race laps.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]No what really has me stoked is the fact that we were for the first time ever able to match the race-pace of the current National Champion, in a car many thought to be so superior that everything else was not even close.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I am expecting a few development pieces soon that will hopefully have the car that much better.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]This weekend was a learning experience for Team Coopsport. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Just when it seemed like all hope was lost, we come out of there with a “W” and a 2nd out of 2 Nationals.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Next up is VIR in April, again a Double National.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I’ve got a few things brewing, and further weight reduction in store.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Yay Jenny Craig![/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]PS Brandon also lowered the official lap record for FB, finally getting an FB into the :20's, taking a half second off the standing record, with a blistering 1:20.999. Congrats Team Citation![/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Linky to Dixons vid of last lap http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...58340&comments[/FONT]
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 11.27.12 at 10:21 PM.

Liked: 49

Liked: 210

Great Chronicle, Giancarlo!

Had to take it off line and blow it up in notepad to read it (that font size is smaller then SportsCar). Looking forward to VIR story. Bet that is one great track for FB's (and any other car for that matter).
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 59

Great job Coop! But I think I need glasses now

Liked: 202

Great story, Coop, but one small correction: Roebling Road in March is/was not the only single National weekend in SEDiv.

Our May 20-22 weekend at Road Atlanta will also be a single race weekend (a "Rational", so Regional classes will be running as well) for those wanting to earn National points. Same for the June 25-26 weekend at PBIR, so those will be the last two chances for SEDiv drivers to qualify for the Run-Ons without going out-of-division to earn points.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default As ol grandpappy Coop used to say

Ah-Chaaa!

Yeah, wasn't sure of the Nat points availablility at a Rational.

PBIR - I confess I was aware of being a National, but it slipped my mind...

Thanks, GC

Thread Information