Thread: Motor Shipping

Liked: 84

Default Motor Shipping

I'm trying to ship a motor from L.A to Florida and am getting crazy prices. The cheapest I got was from ForwardAir $450. That sound way too high. Anybody have a good reasonable shipper? The dimensions are 20"x20"x16" approx. 155lbs.
    Thanks,
    JP

Liked: 126

UPS Ground - but you have to get it to 150 lbs. You're almost there.

Liked: 273

Default Freightquotes.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    I'm trying to ship a motor from L.A to Florida and am getting crazy prices. The cheapest I got was from ForwardAir $450. That sound way too high. Anybody have a good reasonable shipper? The dimensions are 20"x20"x16" approx. 155lbs.
    Thanks,
    JP
    JP
    Freightquotes.com is your best bet. I've shipped 4 engines in the past 12 months all at less than $150 each. I sent one to Mike Holland (FB owner in Oklahoma) about 3 months ago and he received it in 3 days and they delivered it to his dock at work.

Give them a try.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

ASRF1000

John,

Try the shipper I use, Craters & freighters at 1-800-459-0863. They might be able to help you.

I used them to ship a set of weight scales, and platform (quite heavy and over sized) including the pallet from FL to Louisiana and it cost me $350.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

When comparing quotes make sure they are all including their fuel surcharges in their quotes.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default AND...

Insure for a value, and not the BS .25 cents/lb!!!!!!!!!

Banned

I just got quotes on my Freightquote.com account for 155# CL70 with your dimensions from LA to Miami, FL.

The cheapest was $340 and there were several carriers below $400.

Freightquote has negotiated cheaper rates with several carriers, however, you are agreeing to ship your 155# shipment with a value not exceeding $155. It is stated in BOLD at the top of the page when you go to arrange shipment that the value of the item shipped is no more than $1/lb and could be less if the NMFC item carries a lower release value.

Banned

LTL carriers, in general, don't offer cargo insurance against loss. A sales rep or CSR might tell you that is what it is, but if you read the fine print of their tariffs it usually isn't. It's usually some form of liability coverage....you won't find out what it really means until you file a claim or have a judge explain it to you .

Liked: 58

Default Freightquote has really been helpful

I've used freightquote.com for a few years now. Very helpful folks! Rates vary over time. They give you quotes over several carriers on one page. A big time saver.

Doug FST 5
    Last edited by Doug FST 5; 03.06.11 at 2:43 PM. Reason: Missed a word!

Banned

Last time I picked on FedEx so this time I'll pick on UPS.

This if from the UPS tariff:

Excess liability coverage requested in excess of the maximums allowed will not increase Carrier’s liability above the stated maximums. In the event excess liability coverage is requested for an amount greater than the maximums provided, the maximum allowable excess liability coverage shall apply.

and

Excess liability coverage is not applicable on or available for Prohibited Articles (see item 780) or commodities or articles where the NMFC provides actual or released value ratings. Any request for excess value coverage on such articles is null and void, and acceptance of a shipment bearing a request for excess value coverage does not constitute a waiver of any provision of this tariff as to such shipment.

and for our purposes....motors are things in the NMFC where release values apply....

Yes, they will let you write it on the bill of lading and charge you for purchasing the extra value....yet it won't apply to the commodity you are shipping.

Every carrier I am aware of has some similar wording in their tariffs. It's a croc o' s...but it is what it is.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 03.06.11 at 6:09 PM.

Liked: 50

Most engine builders have a special rate with their carrier. It is normally a 50+ % discount from standard tarrifs. Our customers use our account number for shipping and thus get the special rate inbound and outbound. If you don't have a builder who can help. Give us a call and we can handle this for you (we use Fed Ex Freight)

Jim
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Thread Information