Liked: 1

Default FV Transmission shift pattern

This might be a strange question, but I have raced other mid engine vintage race cars, and they had normal shift pattern, I also noticed in those race cars the drain plug for the trans was now on the top of the case and not the bottom (I guess the trans was inverted. On this vee I'm restoring reverse is right and up instead of the normal vee left and down, the wheels move in the right direction so my question is if I invert the trans so my drain plug is up will that hurt any internals? do I need to do anything special if I invert it? also this will put the starter on the right and on the bottom instead of up and on the left.
    Thanks

Liked: 610

Default FV trans

If I'm thinking about this correctly, you need to move the diff. carrier from one side over to the other side.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Default fv trans

I think that has already been done, because the wheels turn in the correct direction when the engine is running the shift pattern is just backwards, first is right and back maybe this is how all FV's shift pattern is??

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

The FV pattern can be normal. An improperly fabricated shift mechanism can reverse it.

Brian

Default fv trans

OK but I'm confused, does anyone have a good picture of a proper shift mechanism?
    Thanks

Liked: 72

The FV tranny must be installed with the drain plugs down in the original configuration per the rules. The FF folks flipped the case over to lower the roll center but we're not allowed.

The ring and pinion location will not change the shift pattern. Typically, a vee has a rod traveling through a swivel and attaching to the shifting shaft that sticks out of the tail housing. We do not have the fancy housing and shifter that the FF examples have.

Looking directly at the shaft, we call it the hockey stick, rotating the shaft clockwise will engage 3rd and 4th. 1st & 2nd are slightly counter-clockwise and reverse is all the way counter clockwise. Hope this helps, feel free to call or pm if you need more help. 916-712-5742
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

The only way I can envision this happening is if the shift linkage adapter that is attached to the shift actuator on the transmission is oriented 180 degrees from the standard orientation. But then the linkage would probably have to run over the top of the trans, which seems unlikely. How about a photo of the rear linkage?
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 72

There were some after market shifters made for dune buggies that might work backwards if installed on a reversed tranny.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 27

Default Shift setup

Did you figure it out? Send me your email and I will send you some photos of what the shift setup should look like.

Liked: 2

Default fv shift pattern

Looks like you're in Cincinnati.I'm also in Cincy.I have a FST you could look at,(same transaxle and shift linkage as a Vee).Send me an e-mail or call: (513) 604-0536.
    Dave Blevins or SR has the pieces you need.

Default shift photos

Here are a couple photos of what the rear linkage should look like. These look like they are in 3rd or 4th gear. Pretty much all FV and FST setups look like this unless they are using an aftermarket setup like a JAMAR. The shifters vary depending on who made the chassis. I will post a couple of those too. Click on the photos to get a closer view.
    Last edited by rdfrancis; 05.12.15 at 9:43 PM.

Default shift setups

Here are a couple photos of the shifter setup. The shift rod that goes back to the transaxle should attach at the top of the shifter, not rotate at the bottom like in the original VW shifter.
    Last edited by rdfrancis; 05.12.15 at 9:43 PM.

Default shifter

I have more photos if you need them. Just let me know.

Default fv trans

I figured it out, The empi shifter I have on it has the lever and a piviot then goes into the shift linkage, so when you select what you think is 1st you are actually turning the shift linkage clockwise selecting 3rd.
    I guess I need a new shifter.
    Thanks to everone for the help!

Thread Information