Liked: 10

Default "Best" Tearoffs for Clarity & Visor Protection?

I just bought a new Bell M-4 (Thanks Joe Cooley ) and want to "protect" the visor and also have good tearoffs for wet autocrosses so I don't have to damage the visor by wiping the visor itself between runs.

Which ones have the best clarity?

Which have the best visor protection?

Can the same tearoffs do both?

Thanks,

Dick
    CM85

Liked: 947

Default Rain = No tear offs

Hello Dick,

The first time I used tear offs in the wet, I discovered the tearoffs wick the water underneath and distort your vision. Rainx on the visor, and use clean water and a soft towel to dry between runs.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 120

We found that to clean the visor you are better off keeping any towels of any kind away and lightly blow drying the visor with compressed air. Wiping many visors dry will create slight hazing.

Liked: 111

No tearoffs in the rain.

Don't worry about the tearoff for autox. Yes, it is supposed to protect the visor, but the visor inevitably ends up scuffed from the little bits of dust under the tearoff and bits of movement of the tearoff. No matter how tight the tearoffs stay, the visor is scuffed after a year of use.

For actual use of tearoffs, you can't beat the Speedstack tearoffs. They really are clear.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

There is someone out there that makes a multiple layer protective sort of a tearoff.

It adheres to the periphery of your shield thus it should not be an issue in the rain since no water should bet behind it.

It has several layers and when one gets too hazy pop it iff and there is a fresh one.

I thought that Auto X did not run in the rain. At least in my region they don't?

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    There is someone out there that makes a multiple layer protective sort of a tearoff.

It adheres to the periphery of your shield thus it should not be an issue in the rain since no water should bet behind it.

It has several layers and when one gets too hazy pop it iff and there is a fresh one.

I thought that Auto X did not run in the rain. At least in my region they don't?
    That would be these

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=2307

I suspect that at half the price of a visor that for my use just being careful with the visor is still the best approach . . . just like it was in the 90's when I first tried (and gave up on) tearoffs.

AutoX runs in the rain . . . like it or not if it is a major event like Pro Solos, National Tours, or the Nationals. Open wheel drivers generally hate it for some reason . The awd and fwd guys like it . . . especially if their class includes rwd or it is the Pro Solo handicap challenge.

Most of us who buy a set of rains for the "big" events never get a chance to run them (fortunately) before they age out. Anybody want to buy a set of unused Hoosier FF rains vintage 2000 or so?

Thanks guys!

Dick

Liked: 4

The only reason I've seen rain delay an autox was when the timing lights were floating away!

Anyway, I like the speedstacks. For me the 7's are too thin, and the tabs break off in the wind. They make some 4 mil thick ones (groups of 3 I think) that stand up to the wind better. speedstack7's should be fine for autox though.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 947

Default Face shield protector

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post

Steve,
    Is this the one you meant? Looks like a great idea.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=4640

I paid $70 for my spare face shield. Ouch!
    Last edited by DanW; 02.26.11 at 10:45 PM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

The speed stack 7's hold up fine if you use the stick-on "donuts" they sell to keep the tabs from tearing.

Liked: 4

The speed tabs help, but I've had them tear up too, plus you have to sit there and stick a bunch of them on each time you go out. I like the shorter/thicker stacks because then you use up closer to one stack a day, so there is less time for dirt to get between the tear offs and visor, and it's less fuss to put them on.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Dan,

That is it

Thread Information