Thread: In-Car camera

Liked: 0

Does anyone have experience with an in-car camera that they would recommend?

Thanks in advance,
    Randy

Liked: 68

Several years ago I assembled a system for in-car video. I bought the miniature video camera from a place in Austin, Texas called Super Circuits. Black and white camera is about $100.00. They also sell color cameras with sound for about $400.00. Either one is about the size of a pack of matches. I then found an inexpensive 8mm video camera with a "video in" jack. The 8mm camera was mounted under my knees, and used as the recording device. I made a housing for the miniature camera by cutting the top off of a shampoo bottle (the lens pointed out of the opening in the bottle) and putting a small piece of clear plastic over the opening to protect the camera lens. I had mixed results with this system. When it works (I still have it around somewhere) the results are pretty good. The problem is, there are so many things like cable connections and remote battery packs that can jiggle loose. Just the other day, Dave Freitas, who runs my car for me, told me that he had seen an advertisement in a motocross magazine for a helmet-cam set-up that sells for $500.00 complete. I may look into buying something like this. In-car video can be useful as a learning tool, as well as being fairly good entertainment.

Liked: 0

For small, inexpensive CCD video cameras check www.polarisusa.com. Thay have some pretty neat stuff. Go to the website and request a free catalogue. You will still need a small recorder like the one mentioned by El Guapo. Polaris has real nice ones but they are real expensive.

Thread Information