Liked: 0

Quick survey: for those that have 94-95 Van Diemens, where have you located your battery, and what type of battery are you using?

I am getting ready to have my car re-wired, and I currently have the battery placed in the nose box and I am thinking about moving it to the cockpit, under my legs. It seems as though a lot of people have their battery there. I am thinking that there it will be prone to less problems with vibration, as well as a shorter wire to deal with in the harness.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Tim
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

I put it under my legs with no ill effects. The idea of the nose box position is to help balance the weight distibution-it also makes the nose box more likely to stress or break-and it just adds to the mess when you hit something hard.
    I have had good luck with a basic gel cell available from lots of places.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Tim, In our first car (Reynard) we had the battery located under the driver's legs with a cover that went over it entirely to prevent the terminals from getting banged around and get accidentally shorted out. The cover bolted to the pan and supported the driver's legs under the knees. Although it was nice to have the added leg support, it was a pain to allow tech inspectors see the battery terminals if needed. In our newly purchased 94\95 VanDiemen, the battery is located in the nose box. It was there since we bought the car, but we don't have any intent on moving it. From what we've heard and experienced in comparison to the Reynard, the VanDiemen has a little more understeer to it. The added weight past the front axel seems to be the best spot to help balance things out as Bob has stated above.

------------------

Keith Carter #28
    94\95 VanDiemen

keith@formulacontinental.com

"Somebody call 911!!! Keith hurt himself again..."

Keith, what year Reynard did you have? The battery in my '84 Reynard is mounted on the lower right frame rail in the engine bay.

We had a '90 Reynard (The blue one in the driver's school article on the main page). The battery mounting placement was that way when we got it. It worked fine, but I like the location in the nose box better.

------------------

Keith Carter #28
    94\95 VanDiemen

keith@formulacontinental.com

"Somebody call 911!!! Keith hurt himself again..."

NER19FC

I have a 94/95 car... The battery is mounted below my legs - where the rear of the lower front wishbones mount. Its a good spot for putting a "larger" size battery - I've seen them mounted more foward inside the car - but they were really small batteries....

Matt McDonough

Matt,

It has been suggested to me to mount the battery on rubber and then strap it in place. Would you happen to have a photo that you could post on the web or email me? or any one else have a photo of how they have attached their battery for that matter?

Thanks,
    Tim

Liked: 610

With Real racing batteries, it is not necessary to mount then on rubber. The internals of these batteries are such that they were made to take the vibration.
    Lay the battery on it's side, as on the 87-90 reynard, under the drivers legs, with a simple mount and strap, and the job is completed.
    Averill Racing Stuff
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

NER19FC

Tim,

I slapped this model together quick... (Its Christmas, its a slow week, what the hell...)

I left out the pickup point that's just forward of the bulkhead (can't remember exactly what it looks like).... You would have to notch the cover plate for the heads of the bolts for the pickup point.... The remaining room around the battery I filled with "great Stuff" foam and a peice of rubber is bonded to the floor - that the battery sits on... I've shown a little bit of extra space around everything (and its not to scale!!!) to make things clear....

the bottom bracket mounts to the pan... The top cover mounts to the bracket and where the fire bottle cover mounts (need longer screws there...)

If anybody wants more images sent to them - just email me..... matt@tasctech.com

No - I don't do balloon animals

[This message has been edited by NER19FC (edited December 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by NER19FC (edited December 18, 2000).]

DaleC

Hey Matt, what solid modeling software are you using? I use Solidworks. Been kicking around the idea of measuring our car(94/95 Van Diemen)and making a solid model to see what changes different setups would render. Ever give it a thought? Dale

Matt,

Thanks for the model, that's pretty cool. It also helps with seeing what you have done for your battery.

As far as having down time because of the holidays, no such luck on my part... I have been sent to Brazil where I am putting out IT fires... Hopefully, I will be home to celebrate Christmas in the states. Not that I really want to go back too soon, as it's 85 and sunny down here and like 10 or something like that back in Cincinnati...

Thanks again for the model and your input.

Chao!
    Tim

NER19FC

I use Unigraphics...
    I've thought about doing the whole car... Maybe on the next frame up rebuild - to get the all the measurments... I have bits and pieces done - things that I've had made up etc.... I have probably spent enough time and $$ to justify a new car....

Steering block (aluminium block w/bronze bushing)

Radiator tray

Diffuser (made this in my garage - its more like a 98/99 car - bolts on and off quickly)

My company also sells Solid Edge - I haven't tried it yet - But I hear its better than Solid Works!! (Just kidding - thats a topic for another web-site...)

Matthew McDonough

53FC

Tim,
    I have an RF-91 and use a similar battery placement to Matt's, but I use two batteries. I have to ballast the car anyway and might as well have it be useful. They are standard formula car gel batteries. One is vertical, just under my knees and the other is horizontal on it's side, just forward of the vertical one. It works out pretty well.

------------------
    Scott Pinkney

[This message has been edited by 53FC (edited December 20, 2000).]

Thread Information