Liked: 0

Default WTB Enclosed trailer 18-24'

Looking to buy an enclosed trailer in the near future. I guess I'm looking in the 18-24' range but could be open . It should be within 3-4hrs of eastern PA and must be either black or wht/. I will keep an FC car in it.
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Contributing Member

Default 24' trailer

White enclosed 24'. Currently used for 96 Van Diemen FC. Custom built tire rack so center holes line up on all wheels - front and back. Linolium floor. Base cabinets with work bench and vise. Upper cabinets. AM FM CD player. Carpet half way up walls. Remainder of walls and ceiling white aluminum. Four florescent lights - one over work bench. Two 12 volt lights. Two vents. One wired and braced for AC. Aluminum plating on one section of floor for roll in tool box. Holder for Nitrogen tank ( large ). Two outside 500 watt lights. Generator compartment - NO GENERATOR. Has Pit Pal door cabinet and helmet holder. Cabinets are red. Carpet on wall is grey.Tires in very good condition. Bearings recently repacked and brakes inspected.
    Built in 2006. All work done at factory. Originally $12,800. Asking $8000 OBO. Possible assistance with delivery. Photos upon request.

Anyone have any experience with the new trailers seen on ebay. Many different manufacturers but most come from Georgia.

Sorry should have added under $5k.

Contributing Member

Default trailer beginnings

Most trailers are built in the Fitzgerald Georgia area. Don't know why but there is about 5-6 manufacturers right next door to each other. Had to take a trailer to Pace for repair and was amazed to see that.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default And you guy's thought

we were only famous for "Pants on the ground"?

("Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground")

Liked: 25

Default Boiled peanuts!

The worst, or at least most surprising, thing I encountered in the time I lived in Georgia was boiled peanuts!
    - Frank C
    Last edited by Frank C; 01.29.11 at 2:02 PM.

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by tjcezar View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the new trailers seen on ebay. Many different manufacturers but most come from Georgia.
    All the major players (Pace, Haulmark/Wells Cargo, Forest River) have faciliites in south GA, generally satelite faciliites from the HQ in Elkhart IN. There are a host of other small regioinal players, which pop-up like weeds. Typically very low quality, though I have heard some decent things about King America for the price.

For $5k or under for a 20-24' you will be looking at used units or bare bones stripper models w/ spring axles, lauan walls, and other cheap materials. BTW on a 24' trailer do not fall for the entry level price point w/ 3500 axles, the cargo capacity & resale of that config is zilch. They're just trying to sucker you in w/ an attractive price point generally, when you really need 5k axles on that large of trailer.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Contributing Member

Default trailer

It is really nice to know we have a resident expert on nearly everything. Thanks Peter for reminding me they are 5,000 pound axles / 4 wheel brakes / replaced the tires with higher rating and steel valve stems.
    And what the heck is wrong with boiled peanuts ? From a Southerner

Quote Originally Posted by PCalhoun View Post
    All the major players (Pace, Haulmark/Wells Cargo, Forest River) have faciliites in south GA, generally satelite faciliites from the HQ in Elkhart IN. There are a host of other small regioinal players, which pop-up like weeds. Typically very low quality, though I have heard some decent things about King America for the price.

For $5k or under for a 20-24' you will be looking at used units or bare bones stripper models w/ spring axles, lauan walls, and other cheap materials. BTW on a 24' trailer do not fall for the entry level price point w/ 3500 axles, the cargo capacity & resale of that config is zilch. They're just trying to sucker you in w/ an attractive price point generally, when you really need 5k axles on that large of trailer.
    Thanks Peter. I am not opposed to a stripped down model as I can add as I go but def want the heavier axles. 2 years ago I would of bought a loaded up rig with all the whistles but the way things are going for me now I need to watch costs. What are the different axles you can get and what is the difference?

Thanks Peter. I am not opposed to a stripped down model as I can add as I go but def want the heavier axles. 2 years ago I would of bought a loaded up rig with all the whistles but the way things are going for me now I need to watch costs. What are the different axles you can get and what is the difference?
    I definitely recommend you go w/ a Torsion style axles, which is an idendepent suspension design. As oppossed to the old style, rougher riding leaf spring suspenion. Dexter will be the American made brand name, but Asian imports have hit the market too on the inexpensive units (which they won't advise you they are using anyway). All tandem axle trailers will have four-wheel electric brakes, so that is not a a worry.

When you goto a 5k axles you will also get a larger tire w/ higher LRD weight rating, hp valve stems, and on a Pace an upgraded hub w/ 6 bolt wheels (Halumark for example has historically kept the 5 bolt hub).

Radial ST trailer rated tires and 3/8 interior plywood walls are two other important features for reliability & durability. The other imprtant thing to look for is the construction of the steel frame, spcifically wall post design and spacing. Z-post constructed walls will offer less strength and are very poor for hanging anything off the walls in the future. Look for a trailer w/ steel hat post or tube wall posts.

I can give you many other features to look for, which will differentiate the quality brands, but at a $5k price point I would be looking for a used Pace Pursuit or Shadow model and even at that price point it is going to be 7+ years old for somehting decent.

Keep your eyes on Racing Junk, Craigs List, and you local auto/truck trader.
    Peter Calhoun

Liked: 553

I have a 24' Pace Shadow that is bigger than I need. I bought it new in Feb, 2000. It's got a few extras, such as tire racks, winch, 110v lights, E-track. I'd sell for a little under $4,500. It has been a great trailer. Send me an email message if you'd like more info and pictures.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 5

Looking to buy an enclosed trailer in the near future. I guess I'm looking in the 18-24' range but could be open . It should be within 3-4hrs of eastern PA and must be either black or wht/. I will keep an FC car in it.
    Since you are in Eastern PA, you could consider buying a new Haulmark from the factory in McAdoo PA. I bought a loaded 24' Haulmark Edge (generator door and mount, top and bottom cabinets, interior lights and outlets, exterior spotlights and outlets, tire rack, ATP floor, alu lined walls, etc) from a dealer in CA - Yucaipa Trailers - and picked up at the factory in PA which was 3 hours from my house.

It was less than $12K new; I watched on Ebay for a similar trailer and the bottom of the market was about $6500 for a 6-7 year old trailer in good condition that could be a 12 hour tow to get home which would add a lot to the net cost. Most of the trailers that I would have considered were approx $8500 for a 3-4 year old one, so the cost for new was not much more.

I would have to say that the quality of the Edge is not that great. It looks kind of cool with the red cabinets and shiny ATP floors and white alu walls but if you look too close it is really a little rough.

My last thought is that we end up spending a lot more time hanging out at the track in my shiny trailer than driving or even working on the car so it is pleasnt to have a decent place to hang out....

Liked: 22

Default 24" trailer new $4,903.00!

Not sure why trailer prices are so different... but you can find a new 24 for under 5K!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-5x2...orsQ5fTrailers

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

That's pretty much exactly the spec of trailer that Peter advised against above. With 3500 pound axles, you probably can't haul a street car in that trailer without exceeding the GVWR.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 5

I checked out a few of the new sub $5K trailers and the build quality was worse than a cheap doghouse.

Quote Originally Posted by veefan View Post
    Not sure why trailer prices are so different... but you can find a new 24 for under 5K!
    When you are in the market for a new trailer I will be happy to educate you on the design, construction, warranty, and customer service differences among the many manufacturers. Like any purchase alot depends on your expectations, which shouild include long-term durability and re-sale value.

A few of the important features I have already noted elsewhere in this thread, but that is really just touching the surface.
    Peter Calhoun

Default Trailer

This trailer has a lot of the features discussed in this thread...

Trailer comes with 3500 lb 4" Drop Dexter Axles w/ EZ LUBE Grease Fittings.

This trailer is available with Dexter 5200lb axles for only $495.00 more.

This trailer has a lot of the features discussed in this thread...

Trailer comes with 3500 lb 4" Drop Dexter Axles w/ EZ LUBE Grease Fittings.

This trailer is available with Dexter 5200lb axles for only $495.00 more.
    Not to get to far off topic of the original post and his search for a 18-24' trailer, but here are some of the quality differences you will see on the inferior brands, such as the EBay one referenced. I want ApexSpeed members to be knowledgeable trailer shoppers, as there is more junk out there than good at the moment. As the trailer & RV industry has just been decimated by the recession the last 3 years.

To start off w/ the funny part...nowhere in this ad does the seller even mention what the brand of trailer is! There's confidence in your product.

The EBay trailer has Dexter spring axles NOT Torsion ITS, which is a huge difference in ride quality, durability, and price. American made yes, but still an inferior leaf spring axle.

It is equipped w/ bias-ply not radial tires

Is the steel mainframe I-Beam or tube construction? The more modern designs are starting to go to tube, which ends up being lighter, stronger, and offering a lower floor platform height.

What type of wall posts are used: Z, Hat, or tube?
    Are they using Galvaneal coated steel in any key corrosion areas, such as the rear cross-member, a-frame, and side door stepwell?

It has a cheap plywood constructed 36" w/ side door w/ no twin-lock flush handle. A 48" side door has become the more popular size in auto trailers and construction techniques other than plywood are superior for durability.

In addition it uses three cheap galvanized strap hinges. A full-length, stainless steel piano hinge helps durability by spreading the weight of the door over a greater length, allows smoother operation, but also offers superior security as the three strap hinges are an easy entry point w/ a sawzall. Especially w/ only a barlock and no flush handle w/ the additional striker plate and deadbolt.

Side door does not appear to have a holdback to hold it open (even a cheap plastic one) nor interior safety chain to keep it from blowing open and into the side of the trailer. When equipped w/ holdbacks BTW they should be screwed into a steel wall post NOT the thin aluminum skin and quality holdbacks are cast aluminum or stainless.

The ATP in the side door stepwell is to cover up the cheap plywood construction of the stepwell. Where a Pace for example will use a welded steel stepwell of corrosion resistant Galvaneal coated steel. This provides corrosion protection even when the paint has been chipped.

A single pair of std incandescent taillights is used in the rear corner posts to save money, where a tandem set and even better LEDs allow those behind the trailer to identify it stopping easier.

They do not identify the thickness of the exterior skin, is it .024 or .030? White or Black could be either, other colors will be .030 by default. The real high end trailers will even go .050 or have it available as an option.

The A-frame tongue jack is a painted unit which will chip and corrode within months from road debris. Look for a jack w/ a zinc plated finish, along w/ a rubber cap at the top of the handle shaft to minimize water entering the shaft and the resultant corrosion. Are they using zinc plated safety chains and hooks w/ security clasps?

Are they using wiring harnesses for their 12v wiring or just running loose stranded wires? Which ever type wiring is used is it protected in conduit or run thru the frame tubes on a trailer not of I-beam construction. This provides protection from road debris and weather.

See the small license plate lamp on the LR corner post? Easy to run the wires to Yes, easy to break off too. That thing is gone within months in that location, even if you just walk into it. It should be mounted to the door above or to the side of the plate or built-in to the LP frame itself.

Are the roof vent frames constructed out of steel tube or wood stick?

Rear Ramp rated at 4k LBS? Highly doubtful, as when I was at Pace we were the first to independently test and rate our ramp doors for deflection and that was 2.5 years ago. Prior to that the industry std was 3.5# for an auto trailer and it was an educated guess.

Are the ramp door hinges protected w/ a rubber cover from dirt and debris, providing smoother operation for a longer period?

This trailer does not include a ceiling liner, it simply has an approx 14" wide Lauan strip 1/4" thick to hide some overhead wiring.

The roof is Galvalume the cheapest material in the industry. Look for single piece aluminum roofs on the quality units. Even a galvanized steel roof would be thicker and provide less wind buffeting.

What is their warranty? Do they even have one? Is it in writing? Is it nationwide? and have they been in business long enough to to even meet the terms of the warranty for their first customers? Great you offer a single bullet point on your website (if they have one) noting a five (5) year warranty and you've been in business 10 months...24 months down the road...phone disconnected. Axles and Tires BTW are covered by their respective manufacturers.

Do they have an in-house Engineering Dept who properly locates the axles, for example, for each length trailer? many inferior brands will just add-on the additional length in two foot increments to one ned or the other. More than once I have had customers comment on how XWZ towed better than ABC for the same length trailer, of which axle location is one contributing factor.

Is the dealer a full-service dealer offering sales, on-site inventory, service, financing, & parts? Yes, real trailer dealers have higher costs of doing business than internet sellers, but should also also be offering you a higher level of service and expertise before, during, and after the sale.

There are many reasons why you will pay more for an ATC/Motiv, Pace, or Wells Cargo of the national brand names. You will also recoup a large percentage of that cost when you go to sell the trailer, as they offer superior resale value in both the trade-in and retail markets.

I am more than happy to offer people advise when they are shopping by PM.
    Peter Calhoun

"When you are in the market for a new trailer I will be happy to educate you on the design, construction, warranty, and customer service differences among the many manufacturers."

I'm just curious, how much is a similar Haulmark or whatever trailer you sell cost?

http://enclosedtrailersforless.com/r...&category_id=2

[FONT=&quot]TRULY FACTORY DIRECT[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Enclosed Trailers - Car Trailers - Cargo Trailers - Gooseneck Trailers[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome to Enclosed Trailers For Less POWERED BY HURRICANE CARGO![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]At Hurricane Cargo, we are a FACTORY DIRECT TRAILER MANUFACTURER. What does that mean for you the customer? UNHEARD OF LOW PRICES AND BETTER QUALITLY IN WHAT WE BUILD!!! We have made it our goal to provide you, the customer, with not only the highest quality trailers but the lowest possible pricing in the industry. We pride ourselves on having industry leading customer service as well as unheard of low prices. With Enclosed Trailers for Less, you don't have to sacrifice quality for price. We have a full staff of individuals whose mission is to make sure that you, the customer, have a wonderful purchase and pick up experience. [/FONT]

HURRICANE CARGO HEAVY DUTY SERIES 8.5X24 CAR HAULER BASIC RACE TRAILER
    MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES:

• PRESSURE TREATED FLOOR
    • SQUARE TUBING WALLS AND ROOF MEMBERS
    • LED LIGHTS 6" I-BEAM
    • DEXTER AXLES

• 5200 lb. 4" Drop Dexter Leaf Spring Axles w/ Electric Brakes on both Axles
    • Heavy Duty Main Frame 6" I BEAM 1X1.5" TUBING WALLS STUDS AND ROOF CROSSMEMBERS
    • V-Nose Front (extra space not included in the 24' box length)
    • 4000 lb. Heavy Duty Rear Ramp Door w/ Double Cabled Spring Assist w/ (2) Barlocks for Security & EZ Lube Hinge Pins
    • 36" Side Door w/ Heavy Duty Bar Lock
    • Recessed ATP Diamond Plate Interior Step Well
    • 6' 6" Interior Height (Add 6" of Interior Height for only $240.00 and 12" for only $480.00)
    • ROOF VENT
    • Interior 12 Volt Dome Light w/ Wall Switch
    • 24" ATP Diamond Plate Stoneguard Front
    • ATP Diamond Plate Vertical V-Nose Cap
    • New 15" 225/75/15 RADIAL Tires
    • Powder Coated Silver Mod Wheels
    • (4) Floor D-Ring Tie Downs Recessed in the floor and welded to the frame
    • 16" On Center Wall & Floor Crossmembers
    • Water Tested 3/4" Bowed Galvalume Roof with Luan Center Lining Strip
    • 2 & 5/16" Coupler w/ Heavy Duty Safety Chains
    • 7-Way Wiring Harness Plug with complete DOT battery back up break away kit
    • 3/8" Heavy Duty A-B Grade Sanded Plywood Walls
    • 3/4" Heavy Duty A-B Grade Sanded Underlayment Grade PRESSURE TREATED Plywood Floors
    • 2K A-Frame Jack
    • True Automotive Paint on Frame....look under our competitors trailers...most use so little paint that they are rusting before they leave the factory
    • LED LIGHTS

A Ferrari and a BMW will get you to work…
    A Ferrari has many AMAZING features…
    But the BMW will get the job done…

"When you are in the market for a new trailer I will be happy to educate you on the design, construction, warranty, and customer service differences among the many manufacturers."

I'm just curious, how much is a similar Haulmark or whatever trailer you sell cost?
    A Haulmark will be a little bit less expensive or equal to a Pace, more in line w/ one of the Forest River brands like Continental Cargo or US Cargo, but it all depends on the level of equipment and selling dealer.

I personally don't sell anything nor any longer have any direct envolvement w/ any company to quote. All I can do is offer the pros and cons based on my industry and personal trailering experince. If you want a dealer recomendation I can do that, but I have no dog in the fight.

As to your analogy, yes either one can get the job done, but what you are comparing here is not a BMW vs a Ferrari; it is more like Lada vs Ford. Like anything there are many consumer choices in trailers, but there is added value to the major brand names that is not immediately reflected in the initial purchase cost.
    Peter Calhoun

http://enclosedtrailersforless.com/r...&category_id=2

[FONT=&quot]TRULY FACTORY DIRECT[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Enclosed Trailers - Car Trailers - Cargo Trailers - Gooseneck Trailers[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome to Enclosed Trailers For Less POWERED BY HURRICANE CARGO![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]At Hurricane Cargo, we are a FACTORY DIRECT TRAILER MANUFACTURER. What does that mean for you the customer? UNHEARD OF LOW PRICES AND BETTER QUALITLY IN WHAT WE BUILD!!! We have made it our goal to provide you, the customer, with not only the highest quality trailers but the lowest possible pricing in the industry. We pride ourselves on having industry leading customer service as well as unheard of low prices. With Enclosed Trailers for Less, you don't have to sacrifice quality for price. We have a full staff of individuals whose mission is to make sure that you, the customer, have a wonderful purchase and pick up experience. [/FONT]

HURRICANE CARGO HEAVY DUTY SERIES 8.5X24 CAR HAULER BASIC RACE TRAILER
    MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES:

• PRESSURE TREATED FLOOR
    • SQUARE TUBING WALLS AND ROOF MEMBERS
    • LED LIGHTS 6" I-BEAM
    • DEXTER AXLES

• 5200 lb. 4" Drop Dexter Leaf Spring Axles w/ Electric Brakes on both Axles
    • Heavy Duty Main Frame 6" I BEAM 1X1.5" TUBING WALLS STUDS AND ROOF CROSSMEMBERS
    • V-Nose Front (extra space not included in the 24' box length)
    • 4000 lb. Heavy Duty Rear Ramp Door w/ Double Cabled Spring Assist w/ (2) Barlocks for Security & EZ Lube Hinge Pins
    • 36" Side Door w/ Heavy Duty Bar Lock
    • Recessed ATP Diamond Plate Interior Step Well
    • 6' 6" Interior Height (Add 6" of Interior Height for only $240.00 and 12" for only $480.00)
    • ROOF VENT
    • Interior 12 Volt Dome Light w/ Wall Switch
    • 24" ATP Diamond Plate Stoneguard Front
    • ATP Diamond Plate Vertical V-Nose Cap
    • New 15" 225/75/15 RADIAL Tires
    • Powder Coated Silver Mod Wheels
    • (4) Floor D-Ring Tie Downs Recessed in the floor and welded to the frame
    • 16" On Center Wall & Floor Crossmembers
    • Water Tested 3/4" Bowed Galvalume Roof with Luan Center Lining Strip
    • 2 & 5/16" Coupler w/ Heavy Duty Safety Chains
    • 7-Way Wiring Harness Plug with complete DOT battery back up break away kit
    • 3/8" Heavy Duty A-B Grade Sanded Plywood Walls
    • 3/4" Heavy Duty A-B Grade Sanded Underlayment Grade PRESSURE TREATED Plywood Floors
    • 2K A-Frame Jack
    • True Automotive Paint on Frame....look under our competitors trailers...most use so little paint that they are rusting before they leave the factory
    • LED LIGHTS

A Ferrari and a BMW will get you to work…
    A Ferrari has many AMAZING features…
    But the BMW will get the job done…
    I did see these trailers and was one of my considerations. I am enjoying all the great info from others though.

still looking. looked at a few that were supposedly nice and then when I got there they looked as if they were beat to death. Also few nice ones that I missed. Just keep your eyes open and let me know if anyone sees anything.
    Looking to buy an enclosed trailer in the near future. I guess I'm looking in the 20-24' range but could be open . It should be within 3-4-5hrs of eastern PA and must be either black or wht/. I will keep an FC car in it.

Liked: 97

Default leaf or torsion axles?

Hi All, I have actually wanted to go back to leaf springs over the torsion axles because of the tire wear I get with torsion. This has been the story on my last four trailers, all of which had higher capacity axles. The issue is toe in and out and camber as the tire moves through it's travel. I have never had even tire wear using the torsion axles. At least the camber and toe is set and steady when you have a solid axle on springs. If I found the ride unacceptable I would probably just install a set of shock absorbers.

Liked: 3302

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    Hi All, I have actually wanted to go back to leaf springs over the torsion axles because of the tire wear I get with torsion. This has been the story on my last four trailers, all of which had higher capacity axles. The issue is toe in and out and camber as the tire moves through it's travel. I have never had even tire wear using the torsion axles. At least the camber and toe is set and steady when you have a solid axle on springs. If I found the ride unacceptable I would probably just install a set of shock absorbers.
    IMO, that would just make the ride worse. Leaf springs' biggest ride problem is usually too much friction between the leaves. Additional damping would just make it worse.

Can't argue, though, with the alignment issues, although my torsion axle trailer's tire wear is acceptable - not great, but acceptable. Maybe that is because I am using Firestone Destination LE light-truck radials. I have had much better luck (wear, carcass durability, gas mileage, and ride quality) with those than with "ST" trailer tires.
    Last edited by DaveW; 02.24.14 at 2:23 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Default 24-26 ft trailer

check you apex mail
    message sent

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

FYI, it looks like a spammer bumped a three-year old thread.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 3302

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    Good catch - I missed that!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 707

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    For the record, Skip Weld is not the spammer. The offending post has been removed.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 2

Default Trailers

Jason,
    Take a look at All Pro West in Mechanicsberg PA they volume a lot of trailers and carry many brands. Sometimes they have year end model sales.
    Jack

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default Interstate 24' available

Sent you a PM. I am looking to downsize.

Liked: 444

The thread is three years old!

Thanks anyway for the offers but yes the thread is 3 yrs old.

Liked: 8

Default Nevertheless

Peter, THANK YOU for again educating us all on trailers, quality and "ya get whatcha pay for" in this world.

Frankly, I would LOVE to see a sticky created from Peter's summary. I have seen time and again posters who need to be educated. of course I don't as I know it all l

BTW, I bought a great used top of the line Pace 32 footer. Paid the man decent money and got a GREAT, solid trailer. I paid a little more for a 6 year old used trailer than the crap on Ebay....and have never regretted it! The 32 replaced an 18 year old Haulmark 26 that was still an awesome towing trailer albeit too small and a little scruffy on the outside.

I would always recommend spending a few more bucks for a better trailer; the extra investment will always pay you back with a trouble-free, safe and easy to tow vehicle and something of value to sell when the time comes.

Again, Peter, you are not only the voice of experience but also of reason. Even if the thread is a few years old!
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Thread Information