Liked: 8

Default SOVREN Formula Ford Festival #2

We had so much fun a few years ago, the SOVREN BoD just approved another Formula Ford Feature for our Columbia River Classic at Portland International Raceway September 3 to 5 2011, Labor Day Weekend. This race weekend will share the park with the All British Field Meet. We usually see over 600 cars at the ABFM. There will also be an All British swap meet. Last time we had 41 cars entered. This event will be open to all Kent Formula Fords. The local Lotus Club will host the test and tune on Friday September 2. More details to come later.

AL Murray
    SOVREN
    360-794-1902

Liked: 3

Al,

That is great news! ALL FF's including modern? I just bought a 2009 Piper - sold my Titan and it is coming back to Seattle.

Mark

Default SOVREN

Mark,

Your Piper is welcome. I am glad to see your Titan is coming back to Seattle. SOVREN continues to draw more Vintage FF's to our group every year. I know we have two new drivers and possibly a couple of new restorations.

AL

Liked: 3

Great, I will put it on my schedule. Thanks

Liked: 322

Hopefully 3... I plan on being there this year!

Al, are you still one of the Sovren officials? I have some questions for you, let's email offline.

-John

Quote Originally Posted by Al Murray View Post
    Mark,

Your Piper is welcome. I am glad to see your Titan is coming back to Seattle. SOVREN continues to draw more Vintage FF's to our group every year. I know we have two new drivers and possibly a couple of new restorations.

AL
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Restoration (s)

Not familiar with that kind of vintage car. Where were they built? How many are there? Are Dunlops going to be available?

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Not familiar with that kind of vintage car.
    Me thinks you're joking.

Piper FF's weren't on the planet until the early 1990's. But then Al didn't bill it as a HISTORIC FF Feature race rather.... Formula Ford Feature.

http://www.piperracecars.com/

Actually they are quite the cars in FF, FC and F 1000.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default Formula Ford Feature

[FONT=Calibri]Hi Al,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Can I bring my 1969 Prigett Formula Ford to the Sovren Formula Ford Feature? I’m just finishing the Honda Fit conversion, and should have the car ready for its first outing. Do you know where I can get a Honda to Renault transition adapter?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]hafd[/FONT]

Default Sovren formula ford festival

Tom, or is it hafd,

No Formula Honda's allowed. If some one wants to display a Fit powered Swift, I would entertain the idea. I'd like to see one up close. Good luck finding the adapter!!

Anyway, humor aside, please consider coming to Portland on Labor Day Weekend for a great 3 day weekend. We are planning five races for the Formula Fords. All Kent based Formula Fords are invited including Pipers. Looks like SOVREN might have as many as five new to SOVREN FF drivers this year. We should have 20 plus vintage FF's at all of our races this year. Take time is available on Friday courtesy of the Lotus Club Track Day.

AL Murray, Chairman

Default SOVREN Formula Ford Feature #2

To all Formula Ford Drivers.

We are getting close for the second SOVREN Formula Ford Feature at the Columbia River Classic at Portland International Raceway, Labor Day Weekend. There is still a couple of weeks for the early bird entry discount. So check out www.SOVREN.org for details and entry forms. We had 24 vintage Fords at our Historic Race Forth of July Weekend.

We are accepting all Kent based Formula Fords to come play with SOVREN. There is an evening of track event in Portland and a Sunday night BBQ at the track. The local Lotus Club has a track day on Friday with all race cars invited. That is four days of track time. There will be five races over the weekend. Not to mention the All British Field Meet that shares the facility with us on Saturday and Sunday. 700 plus cars on the show field and a giant British parts only swapmeet on Sunday.

So thinks about bringing your Vintage, Club or modern Formula Ford to the CRC Labor Day Weekend. Might even accept a Formula Fit.

Come on come all.

See you in Portland,

AL Murray, SOVREN Co-Comp Chairman
    425-487-1902, shop

Liked: 490

We would love to come back up Al, but it's just too dang far to do twice in the same year. Thanks for putting on a great event in July. All 4 of my Formula Ford guys had a great time, and Vince Dean in the Lotus 19 is on the same page!!!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 4

This will be fun. I can confirm at least three vintage FF's from T-Zero Racing will be attending. And personally, I am looking forward to getting on track with the modern cars again.

Andrew

Default SOVREN Formula Ford Festival

I just wanted to add that Friday night Jay Ivey is hosting a BBQ at the shop. Fresh Salmon and Halibut from Alaska will top the menu.

You got to come just for the BBQ!! The racing will be great too.

AL Murray

Liked: 49

Hi Al,
    what tires will be allowed in the races and will the chicane be used? I would like to bring my RF-81 and I have a set of Goodyears and a set of McCrearys.

Hi Brad,

We will be running the Chicane. As for tires, what ever your home club allows are the correct tires for our event. This race is about having fun with a bunch of other FF drivers and cars. Good clean racing without contact is the main rule.

AL Murray

Liked: 49

American Racers it is.
    Thanks.

Liked: 10

I sent in my entry for the Columbia River Classic yesterday. There is still time for others to enter before the early entry fee ends on August 15th. I'm looking forward to this race and a great field of FF's at a great track.

Al - I did not see on the website or the entry where to send a picture for inclusion in the printed program. Could you find that out and let eveyrone know here so we have lots of formula cars represented in the program? Thanks.

Cheers,

Default CRC

Steven,

Your photo sent in along with your entry will get to Doug. If you use the online registration you can send your photo to the SOVREN PO box.

AL

Send photo to:
    SOVREN
    PO Box 58668
    Renton, Wa. 98058

Liked: 10

Al, I was looking for a way to send it via email attachment. Would that go to Doug and what is his email? It is easier than sending a print and better quality too.
    Cheers,

Default CRC

Steven,

Email photo to:

douglas.k.kirk@boeing.com

AL

Default CRC

Here is a SOVREN FF action photo:

Liked: 490

There might even be a SoCal guy in there someplace!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Is that him wa..a..a ay in the back?

Default CRC

Just a reminder that the cutoff date for the less expensive entry fee is coming soon. If you have put off sending your entry, now is the time to get it in.

We have 21 entries as of a couple days ago. 14 VF's and 7 CF's. I suspect that we will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 FF's.

So join the fun and get your entires in for the Labor Day Columbia River Classic and All British Field Meet at Portland International Raceway.

www.sovren.org

AL Murray

Default Formula Ford Feature at the CRC

We have 25 FF's signed up for the Columbia River Classic Labor Day weekend at Portland International Raceway. 16-VF. 8-CF, 1-FF. Not too late to join the fun. I'll waive the late fee for another week if you send in your entry now. This offer will not work on Motorsports Reg.

See you all in a couple of weeks.

AL Murray

Default BBQ cancelled.

We are up to 28 Formula Ford Entries. Still time to enter.

The Friday night BBQ at Iveys has been cancelled. The shop is just too busy clean up for an event at this time. Sorry that this part of the weekend isn't going to happen.

We still will have a great weekend of FF racing.

AL Murray

Liked: 1

Looking forward to it Al its gonna be a blast!

Thread Information