Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default So much for a 2011 ZX10 in FB

Just saw in the latest issue of Road Racing World that the displacement of the newest Kwacker is 1032cc.

I gotta go and look at the bike racing class reg's. I had thought the superbike class limits 4 cylinder bikes to 1000cc...

Liked: 0

The 2011 Kawasaki Ninja (as tested in Road Racing World Magazine) and the 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R are two different machines. The ZX-10R has been delayed (recalled in Great Britain) for a bit.

Hasty Horn

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

I understand that the 2011 ZX10 will have traction control in the factory ecu. I believe that this would make this engine ineligible for FB.

Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post
    I understand that the 2011 ZX10 will have traction control in the factory ecu. I believe that this would make this engine ineligible for FB.

I heard the traction control will have 3 settings and one that will completely disable it.

Liked: 6

Brandon, not the engine just the electronics
    Which is why I would suggest that we allow ANY factory produced ECU, which would include the racing ECU that each of the manufactures have for their bikes.
    These are not that expensive, Honda's HRC ecu kit is $970. I'm sure the other manufactures are similar in cost. Then we could exclude the the traction control and it could be easily policed.
    Just a thought. The Suzuki supply will eventually run out.
    Last edited by DonArm; 12.17.10 at 8:28 PM.

The traction needs of a two wheeled motorcycle and our venue are verrry different. A system that works well on a bike would not be an advantage on our four wheeled vehicles. The system (if it is similar to the traction control system available from the 2008 ZX-10R bike onward) depends on a speed sensor driven off the front wheel. That signal is cross compared with engine rpm and gear position. All of these are mapped for a two wheeled vehicle and the traction limitations of that application. Using that mapping and expecting it to help with a four wheeled application would not make sense.

Additionally, several parameters are drastically changed, the gear ratios that we run are pretty far from a standard street (or race) setup, and the speed signal is not sized to our wheel sizes or our traction capabilities. The system goes into off mode if the speed sensor is disconnected (or at least it does on the 08 model).

Many of the OEM ECU's have capabilities that change from country to country. Thus the HP advantage of some Euro models over the US versions. I believe that it is an already accepted standard that the ability to remap does not change the legality of an OEM ECU. If one considers the difficulty of "proving" a modified engine (besides displacement) you'll see that as a group you are going to have to rely on the "fairness" of your fellow competitors.

Hasty Horn

Liked: 30

Delete

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

And I thought you were going to say it was because they have all been recalled because the engines are blowing up!

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=42858
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Default Got all crossed up on this one...

It seems the ZX10 Ninja and the ZX10R are not the same!
    ZX10 Ninja = 1043cc.

Default 1032-1043 cc?

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Again, the ZX-10R Ninja and the Ninja 1000 are two different bikes.

The Ninja 1000 is the 1043cc bike.

http://newproductlaunch.kawasaki.com...d=499&featured

just came back from a local kawi dealership where my buddy works and he was told the recall was for catastrophic engine failure (which was supposed to be a big secret), so I'd say that kawi is off the table for this year.

BTW: I'm getting confused because Coop keeps writing ZX10, it's just a Ninja 1000 that is 1043cc, no ZX....and the ZX10 and ZX10R are both 998cc. come on Coope get with the program you're confusing feeble minded people like me.

Default Count me in!

Feeble is as feeble does.

Liked: 553

I think (but am not positive) that these are three different bikes offered by Kawasaki:

• ZX-10R
    • Ninja 1000
    • Z1000

This article mentions ham all, as if they are all three different: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/83...irst-Ride.aspx

Go figure.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Well, obviously Kawasaki isn't making it easy for everybody to understand.

For 2011 there are 4 bikes in the liter class:

They are:

The sportbikes: (1) Z1000 (1043cc) and (2) Ninja 1000 (1043cc)

as well as the supersports: (3) Ninja ZX-10R (998cc) and (4) Ninja ZX-10R ABS (998cc)

Liked: 3787

Shucks, what's a measly 43 cc amoung friends?

An idea... let the 1043 run ...IF... it's manually shifted.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Shucks, what's a measly 43 cc amoung friends?

An idea... let the 1043 run ...IF... it's manually shifted.
    136 hp for the 1043. Doubt anyone would protest that!

Speedvision has a review of the '11 ZX-10R:

http://motorcycling.speedtv.com/arti...awasaki-zx-10r

This caught my eye: "the new engine red lining at 14,500 rpm, compared to last year’s 13,000 rpm".

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    This caught my eye: "the new engine red lining at 14,500 rpm, compared to last year’s 13,000 rpm".
    FB will be the best sounding class out there since F1 announced the new 2013 engine rules with have rpm limits of 12k rpms.
    Ken

I remember a few years ago Yamaha said the R6 had a (i think) 16k redline. That was all BS. The bottom line is that it may redline at 14k but does it still make HP at that level? And even bigger question is the engine any good? the buy back from Kawasaki is a big red flag for a while to go. BTW: the european version (200hp) is the one to get if any (do current FB rules allow engines other than US versions?)

Liked: 126

Some light reading about the 2011 ZX-10R shows max power at 13K RPM. Max torque is same as S1000RR but about 2K RPM higher. And a 2mm offset bore.

Appears the recall was due to valve float, but those words were not the ones they used.

2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R "technical hold" to be lifted in January

I guess it was some kind of harmonic valve float issue.

http://www.sportrider.com/news/146_1...ary/index.html

Well, I guess the ZX10 engine is back on the table. According to GD Kawasaki is very interested in what is going on in the FB class and will be supplying engines packages for approx. $6k. He also feels the new ZX10 wiring harness will be very similar to the ones he does now and will be available also. I guess the next thing will be someone to get a dry/wet sump going and it'll be ready to go. Pretty cool. I guess I should start getting my cousins in Italy to look for a Euro version for me! (after the engine is fitted and run and tested by someone else first that is!)

I thought there were a Kawasaki or two run in DSR. Perhaps someone over there has gone through some of the trouble.
    Ken

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    I thought there were a Kawasaki or two run in DSR. Perhaps someone over there has gone through some of the trouble.
    I have an '04 in mine. Wet sumped.

I'm going to have to assume the new zx10r engine is completely different from the older ones and fitting it to a car would be like starting from scratch.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

Some parts are interchangeable through the different kawi generations (like cams), but motor mount locations changed with each different one. The other major difference is that the starter clutch moved from the sprocket side to the clutch basket side in '06. That is significant because it makes the motor wider which sometimes necessitates putting notches in upper frame rails for clearance. Just like suzukis.

Thread Information