Liked: 2

Default Bead blast medium

Does anyone know: Is there a bead blast medium that will (tend to) attack paint but leave aluminum and polyester resin in reasonable shape (given a gentle hand)?

Thanks for any heads ups from the gang!

Chris Crowe

Liked: 948

Baking soda - reduced pressure. Requires pH neutralization after blasting and before paint.

Dry Ice - safe, minor cleanup. We use dry ice where I work. There is a video of it on you tube in use restoring smoke damaged books.
    http://www.blastcleaningdirectory.co...es/USAWest.htm

Walnut shells - at lower pressures.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 2

Default Thank You, Dan ---

Man, the collective knowledge base on Apexspeed is simply massive. Again,
    thanks ---

Chris Crowe

Liked: 0

How about plastic media?

It is great for removing paint. I had some 50 year old house furnace registers done at a place local to my last house. Took off all of the 1/8" thick paint, and left the ink stamps on the original steel when done.

Not all blast shops have it, and I'm not sure what it would do to the resin, but it would be my first shot.

Liked: 948

Default "Plastics my boy, Plastics..."

Plastic media is used by some auto and bike restorers because it us usually easy on the base material, yet will make a good cut on the coating or corrosion you are trying to remove. There are several types of plastic, plus screen size for each. If you already have an abrasive blaster using glass beads or sand, the plastic media is a direct replacement.

Below is a really good site that explains much, plus has a forum for questions.
    http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ting-media.htm

Around here, CO2 is favored because of Kalifornia's (the State of Desperation) solid waste and wastewater regs.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thread Information