Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 23

Default Stolen today 97 Van Diemen & 24' trailer

Liked: 3

Sorry Man, that's NOT cool. I've lost a car and trailer.
    later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

Liked: 1417

Could you post more information about the car, trailer, where it was stolen and what else might be in the trailer if those items should show up? What kind of engine? What kind of wheels? What is the chassis number?

There are only so many places these things can go and this is a small community...

Liked: 25

Default Robert's Car

There are three more pictures of Robert's car on the Quantum Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=117471461041

He is somewhere around Oklahoma City.

- Frank C
    Last edited by Frank C; 12.04.10 at 2:00 AM.

It was stolen out of my driveway in Oklahoma City, Close to Anderson road and hwy 240. between 7:30 and 3;20 today. the motor was on a flat roller, it was a fresh motor that Quantum put together. there was a spare set of van diemen wheels with new Goodyears on them. 12 extra sets of gears, new stands, jack, misc tools, Chasis # 2378, RF97 2, almost all of my paperwork was in the trailer inclucing the cars SCCA book, trailer Vin # 16HGB24247K011735 it's a silver Haulmark enclosed with side door and rear ramp door.
    Thanks for any help!

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

You might put a reward on Craigslist in your area. Chances are they only wanted the trailer. I can't see the average thief even being able to start an FF, much less being able to install an engine in one.......
    Last edited by marshall9; 12.04.10 at 8:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Liked: 13

Default Stolen Today

True what Marshall9 says, Probably only wanted trailer. Same happened to a friend in Florida. Took trailer complete with car spares etc. etc. Found trailer 2 days later with everything in it except tools. It is hard to get rid of the rest so they left everything else. This is a good reason to have grafix on trailers.
    Tony

Liked: 211

sorry to here this. i have also had a trailer stolen. thank god car & tools not in, but spares and everything else that we store in there gone. my trailer was never found & im sure all the suspension & wing bits ended up in a dumpster someplace. no one would know what the stuff is

i now have on the top of my trailer my name & phone number in huge letters. could easily be seen from above, but not from ground level. i also use a boot lock over a wheel & tounge lock.

i am looking into lo jack or some other form of recovery, not expensive compared to what we loose when these mother f'rs help themselves to our hard earned equipment

i hope you get your car back
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 65

that sucks

trailers are stolen here left n right to end up as mobile meth labs, or vin plates removed and sold as "homebuilt" trailers.

Liked: 8

paint the top in day-glo-orange. can't see it from normal use... but when its stolen its easy to find :-)

Sorry to hear. Was it locked up anyway? I've seen those wheel locks get busted pretty quick - I've used two chains between the wheels on each side with a padlock... which is good to throw most common thieves that don't carry a 3' bolt cutter.

As mentioned, craigslist is a most likely where they'll end up. If you have unique tools in there - post a few wanted ads in the tools section and see if anyone sends you a note.

Good luck,

Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Default another pic of car & trailer

Liked: 0

Any news about your car and trailer?

Please let us know.

Frederic

Liked: 87

Sorry about the car and trailer. I will keep an eye out in KY for this car. I also had a bunch of stuff stolen-my trailer was broken into a few months ago at work, my house and home garage were broken into a few weeks later and ALL my tools stolen, they even pulled a tool chest over one of the cars to get it out the window. I hope the economy gets better and the crime could go down....

Mike Winebrenner

Default No news YET !

here is a pic of the trans & box of spare gears that were stolen. They will have to try and get rid of this stuff sometime. Thanks to everyone for keeping an eye out!!

Default Motor last seen straped to wood rollers

last seen in trailer straped to the wooden roller
    Last edited by Atomic; 12.14.10 at 11:06 PM. Reason: pics

Liked: 3

I found the best way to eliminate trailer theft is to remove the wheels, all of them. If it doesn't roll, believe me they won't take it. I have had trailers stolen with locks etc. on them. They break off pretty easy. But no wheels, no move. Inconvienent during race season, but a great deterrent in the off season. Hope you find everything. Bob.

Default still missing

It's been about a month now since my car and trailer were stolen. I have not heard any news YET! still hoping that it is going to show up. I find myself driving a different way everytime I go somewhere hoping to see something, that will keep happening for a while I am sure.

Hope you find it soon. I've had stuff stolen in the past and I find myself still looking after many years.
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Liked: 9

Default re-covered trailer story

Years ago I built a dual axle trailer for a car i was racing and I stored the trailer at a commercial gated facility. You had to go into office to get key to open gate to remove any vehicles or trailers. Well, one day I was hauling some brush in my truck to dump and I drove past the trailer storage lot and I noticed my trailer missing. I went into office on following day and asked about it and owner said it had been stolen weeks earlier. Idiot didnt call me or even notify police.

I also had a chain between the wheels. I thought it was odd that the owner's son's car was parked where my trailer was. Anyway, I thought the owner of facility was partly responsible since he had the only key to locked gate.

So I would check out every trailer I passed on the streets. And, about a year and a half later I happen to be across town in an industrial park and spotted a trailer that looked like mine. I walked over to it and sure enough, it was mine! Still had the orange extension cord I used to wire trailer, had the winch fixture on tongue, and same tires.

So I walked in to shop and spoke to owner. He stated that he had paid $300 for trailer, lol, hell, I spent more than that on tires/wheels. He said he bought it from a used car dealer. So he called dealer and put him on phone for me. He said he bought it out of town, didnt know owner, bs, bs. So I said I would be calling police, and of course, he offered to work out a 'deal'.

Policeman shows up and stated that if I couldnt prove it was mine, I would have to wait until a court hearing which meant waiting months if not years. So I pulled out my drivers license and walked over to trailer with him. I pointed out my initials I had stamped in trailer and he said, hook it up, its yours!

I hook up trailer and drive off with trailer leaving shop owner and his wife waving their arms in the air!

Liked: 77

Not to hi-jack this thread, but a member from this forum stored his trailer at one of my terminals and it was stolen. I don't know, maybe 1-2 years go by and I am at my neighbors (terminal neighbor) and as we are walking around his building...there is the trailer.

He said he found it. I said I wanted it back...then he wanted storage.

Needless to say, I got the trailer back and gave it back to Paul FF.

Things don't disappear, they just leave your site.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Craigslist National

There is a way to search all the Craigslists you may try this to see if your trailer/car/parts pieces show up somewhere:

http://www.searchallcraigs.com/

Good luck this sucks.

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by jdp526 View Post
    ... So I walked in to shop and spoke to owner. He stated that he had paid $300 for trailer, lol, hell, I spent more than that on tires/wheels. He said he bought it from a used car dealer. So he called dealer and put him on phone for me. He said he bought it out of town, didnt know owner, bs, bs. So I said I would be calling police, and of course, he offered to work out a 'deal'.
    Policeman shows up and stated that if I couldnt prove it was mine, I would have to wait until a court hearing which meant waiting months if not years. So I pulled out my drivers license and walked over to trailer with him. I pointed out my initials I had stamped in trailer and he said, hook it up, its yours!
    I hook up trailer and drive off with trailer leaving shop owner and his wife waving their arms in the air!
    Excellent outcome for you! A good lesson on buying from trustworthy sources & confirming that the seller has legal title to the item. If the shop owner was deceived by the seller, then I feel bad for him.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

I taped off 2 big squares on my trailer roof, and painted them dayglow qrange today. Someone with more modern skills might figure a way to put a GPS trackable device in the trailer, like maybe an old cellphone or whatever.
    Have you considered having someone put an add for a used FF as a sting? Just an idea that came to me.
    Good Luck,
    Jim

A while back I saw an article on how to "convert" a cell phone. I am not sure where....maybe Grassroots Mag.?
    Ed Schubert
    edschubert@live.com
    757-692-1181

Liked: 16

After all this talk of stolen trailers, I got one of these today: http://enterprise.telenav.com/includ...1.0%201009.pdf

Along with an external antenna and a hardwire kit from here:
    http://www.usglobalsat.com/telenav

It will "ping" the unit once a day and then if it starts moving send an update every five minutes.

The antenna probably isnt needed, but I plan to put it under the cross member in the roof inside the aluminum skin of the trailer. They work in the trunk of a car, since it is AGPS, so it will work through that thin walled aluminum roof.

Liked: 5

Well, that didn't take long. The sheriff's dept. is working hard to find my rig—canvassing the area, posting with Crimestoppers, releasing it to the papers, talking to me all the time.

Just yesterday, an article ran in TBO.com and there is a place for comments following the piece. ONE DAY after it runs, some moron accuses me-BY NAME-of stealing it myself! Let me see, the entire Sheriff's Dept. is looking for it, the Tampa PD is looking for it as are agencies in the surrounding counties (because I ASKED them to) and I know people in all of them having been a cop for more than a just a few years myself. The SCCA has the info, every race track in the area that I know of has the info ( I sent it to them myself), and about a dozen friends have posted it to various forums. Yeah, I took it myself—I wish that jacka55 would say that to my face.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Quote Originally Posted by smsazzy View Post
    After all this talk of stolen trailers, I got one of these today: http://enterprise.telenav.com/includ...1.0%201009.pdf
    Questions: what was the initial price of the unit? It states a data plan is required. Cost? Also, it states "web-based". What if you are outside a "web" area? Will it work through ATT 3G/4G service?

Reason for interest. I am pursuing a group price on these. http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PR...ng/Micro2500WP

I have one on order and, if it works as advertised, it should be real close to $350 including the first year's monitoring service ($100/year) including a backup battery and shipping to anywhere in the CONUS.

As soon as I can get it up and running I'll report the findings.
    Last edited by Charles Warner; 01.12.11 at 12:03 PM.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

The unit was supposed to be $150 or so, they gave me a promo price of $69.

I pay about $25 monthly for the service.

It works on AT&T's network. Not required to have 3G/4G service, so their EDGE coverage, which is pretty much everywhere, works fine.

The web based part is viewing the maps. I also set up a "geofence" which means anytime the unit moves 1/2 mile from where I park it, it sends me an email and a text message to my cell phone.

Here is me driving with it yesterday to test it.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Might want to delete the map/info so folks don't know exactly where it is stored and exactly how far they could take it without you knowing. As well as exactly what type of system you have and how it works.

Everybody who reads these threads aren't apexspeed members or racers.

Just looking out for you...

That isn't where it is stored. That is just me testing the system. The trailer is 25 miles away. :-)

Default Motor came home

Got my motor back! no word on car or trailer yet, they were doing some car chopping a few miles from my house, dont know if it got chopped?? just waiting now to see if anything else shows up!

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Keep Us posted

Hopefully you get your gear and they get the crooks!

Default Thanks Apex Speed

The car was recovered tonight, weathered from being kept with a tarp over it outside, But she is home now! still looking for the trailer but feeling good tonight!!!

35. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    The car was recovered tonight, weathered from being kept with a tarp over it outside, But she is home now! still looking for the trailer but feeling good tonight!!!
    great news!

Liked: 313

Awesome news. Did the catch the low-lives that stole it?

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 77

Please tell us how it was found. Was anybody arrested?
    Hybels

Liked: 830

Pretty nice of them to cover the car with a TARP - those things cost $MONEY$ you know.
    Glad to hear you got it back.
    Steve, FV80

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default FOUND!

Great news - apologize to her for the abuse and get her to the track asap!
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Default a lot still going on

there is a lot still going on right now, still might get trailer back, I will give out the details later after things slow down and the sheriff gets done hurting people!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information