Liked: 0

Default size issue for smaller driver?

I have been thinking about getting in FV but was wondering about the difficulty of fitting a car to a driver that is 5 1/2 foot and 145lbs? What modifications would need to be done to position the pedals/wheel etc? Some of the cars I have been looking at have been designed for larger drivers (6' 2" and 225lbs), is this going to be a major issue?

Liked: 22

Default smaller driver?

You shouldn't have a problem fitting in almost any vee. You might need to move the pedals back a little (most are adjustable) and/or add a seat. My Womer is set up for a large driver I'm 6'1" 220 lbs, but if I install the seat with padding that came with the car, my older son who's 5' 7" & 155 lbs fits fine.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

That is a great problem to have? Almost unlimited choice of car. You will need to build a good seat .... and perhaps put blocks on the pedals if they don't have enough adjustment. The best of FVs have the worst side protection of any modern class. You will have the luxury of protecting your ass with a heavy steel floor and then adding some real bars down the side. Do it so the bars are easily removed and floor replaced, and you can retain the marketability when its time to sell.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Some of the cars I have been looking at have been designed for larger drivers (6' 2" and 225lbs), is this going to be a major issue?
    There are very few FVs that are designed for large drivers trust me even those that are I have a hard time getting in I'm 5'10" and almost 250 and my belly is not the problem. You are a perfect size for any V

Mark
    Mark Filip

Liked: 2

He is the perfect size for a Race Driver Period.

Liked: 2

Default hmmmmm

You would fit perfect in my D-13. And make minimum weight

Liked: 11

My Womer that is for sale is set up for me at 5'7"/155lbs. You'd fit perfectly!!

Jim

Liked: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    He is the perfect size for a Race Driver Period.
    Horse Jockey's make more money though....

Liked: 81

Default Not the smallest driver

I'm 4'11 and 116 lbs and my Dad had to build me a padded seat, and put extensions on my pedals once he moved them as close to me as they would go (but I drive a FF). You shouldn't have any trouble moving the pedals back far enough. Your driver doesn't have the same issue I do, being too small for a racecar so it shouldn't be any trouble for ya!

Best of luck!

Meg Sauce
    Last edited by sauce_racer; 12.01.10 at 3:34 PM.

You are also the perfect size for the Adams Aero which I understant was build aroud the designer's son who was about 5'9" and 150 pounds at the time. Conincidently, mine is available as a slider right now.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Quote Originally Posted by FV07 View Post
    My Womer that is for sale is set up for me at 5'7"/155lbs. You'd fit perfectly!!

Jim

Thanks for the info form you all. Glad to see that height will not be an issue in a FV.

Jim,

I think I met you at a BSR event (we were both instructing)? I actually talked with you about checking out your car some time. If you can find my e-mail, send me a message and perhaps I can come up and check out your car.

--
    Pete

Liked: 25

Default Larger Sizes

Megan:
    I think you should be a little more careful in talking about your dad. Christmas is coming, you know.
    - Frank C

Liked: 81

Default Wow! My bad.

Frank,

Thanks for the tip, when I said "he" I meant the driver we were discussing being smaller than most. Thanks for having me read that back!

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by ......
    about the difficulty of fitting a car to a driver that is 5 1/2 foot and 145lbs?....
    You ARE the sized driver the FV and FORMULA ONE manufacturers build for!! Some relocation of pedals and a real comfy seat and you'll be in business.
    Last edited by rickb99; 01.18.11 at 7:37 PM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

You don't have a "problem," you have an advantage! Enjoy!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Size matters

As they say in those "ADULT" commercials-"size matters" and in your case there will be many drivers that will be envious. Why? Because FV is the perfect car. The FV does not have quite the Hp to haul the heavier drivers around. You may have to add weight in strategic areas of the Vee to make weight. Luckey you, bad for the 6+ footers in excess of 180 lbs, particularly 200+ lbs. Your acceleration out of turns will leave'm behind. While you will have the size advantage, don't be cavalier in your selection based just on seat and pedal location. Some of the latest model slip-streamers, while costing more, should not be over looked. They will offer you even a greater advantage. Perhaps some of the FV seasoned veterans looking at this thread will make some suggestions as to the brand or make of FV you should be looking for. Good luck and be patiently deliberative with your search, you will have a great future.

Liked: 105

at 6'2", 230 I slide into a lynx....

Liked: 72

The Mysterian and VDF are two of the smallest production vees in the country. My Anduril requires a short driver but only one exists right now. If you find a nice car a quick way to relocate pedals is to buy a complete unit that can be bolted to the floor where you need it. Tilton, Wildwood and others make them. Don't bolt them to a thin aluminum floor, steel would be safer. Don't use soft foam to build up your seat. Soft foam will compress under duress and could cause the belts to become loose on your body. Make a two part pour foam or bead seat, it would be far safer. Finally, if you do relocate your body within the car, make sure the belts still sit on the hard structures of your hips and shoulders.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Thread Information