Liked: 9

Default Austin F1 Update

Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Liked: 0

Default Grading begins

The track just recieved approval to start grading pending approval from FEMA.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...for-us-gp-site
    Ken

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default FEMA? Another rant from Larry

WTF does FEMA have to do with grading? I saw the mention of a dry creek bed, so I suspect EPA and the Coast Guard and the Corps of Engineers may have a "vote" on the construction, too!

At one time in my life, I was thinking about buying a 25-acre "island" near Savannah and building a house. Even at high tide you could walk to the "island," but it would require a causeway or bridge of about 25' to make it accessible by vehicle. The county informed me that the Corps of Engineers would have to approve my plan. The CoE informed me that the Coast Guard would have to agree, and the Coasties said that, since it was a salt water marsh, it would require an EPA approval, because it was a breeding ground for shrimp. At that point I gave up, figuring the legal expenses would have exceeded the cost of the island and the house.

My son is involved with the construction of electrical plants. They have done projects in China, The Phillippines, Columbia, Algeria, and several Central African countries, yet the last US project they did was more than 20 years ago, because it would take 10 years to get the necessary approvals to even start construction.

...tell me again why we are having economic problems? And tell me how the government is going to make it better?

Larry
    Larry Oliver

Default How they doin?

Just wondering. One month done, 17 to go.

Since they'll have to spend an average of, say, $25 mill/month, it would be interesting to know what the budget burn rate is. Might be a way to back into a real progress estimate.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Default Bump

I'm not finding a lot of news. I'll assume weather has been unusual enough this year to slow things down substantially.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 0

I just read something last week that people are seeing quite a bit of machinery moving a lot of dirt. Otherwise, no new info.
    Ken

Liked: 1

Newspaper story said they are moving dirt and relocating the large gas pipeline that runs through the site.

Liked: 309

Default Per ESPN F1

Progress good at Austin's US Grand Prix site

Work at the site of the 2012 US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas is now obvious, according to a local reporter.

Organisers of the Austin race recently received digging permission after initial work commenced at the site including silt fencing and soil drilling.

But a writer for the Austin American Statesman newspaper said signs of construction or machinery were not visible from nearby roads until now. John Maher reported that earthmoving has been taking place in January and February, while in the past two days vehicles can be seen on a sizeable stretch of cleared land.

"What looked to be a line of pipe was also visible from the road. Moving gas pipes is job one for the project," he explained.

Maher also wrote that a sign company's cherry picker was also present at a newly-opened entrance to the site. "Will the once super secret site now be marked with a welcoming sign?" he asked. " We'll soon see …"
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Default What's the progress rate?

Newspaper story said they are moving dirt and relocating the large gas pipeline that runs through the site.
    Yes, I did see that much and also how much impact the projected cost of $400 mill is going to make on the area. Although I have said that number is too optomistic, they say they have to spend $144 million ($12 mill/month) this year. It doesn't look to me like they're spending even $2 million/month yet.

Just seems too quiet. Sure I know it's winter season, but high profile and especially fast tracked projects that I've worked on or am familiar with have worked thru almost any weather 18 hrs/day 7 days a week. I would have expected a local news story a week if this was happening. Maybe they need Peter Windsor to come in and beat the drum? JMHOWTFDIK?

Edit: my take on Tavo sitting on equipment for a photo op? If this project has any hope of making it on time, he wouldn't have time for a photo op.

Curmudgeon Central over and out.
    Last edited by Ted Idlof; 02.23.11 at 12:03 PM.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default USGP site in Virginia

I went through something similar about 12-15 years ago when a fellow touted a site in Virginia (near DC) as a site for the USGP. I met with him and visited the site. They had the track staked out and had starting 'dozing. They had beautiful plans for the paddock, the tower, the executive suites, etc. The county approved a new access road and had committed to running sewer/water, etc. After about 6 months of this, the guy just kinda fell off the face of the Earth. I don't know if it was a beautifully executed fraud, a Ponzi, or what, but it vanished overnight.

Hopefully Austin will come to fruition, but there is a lot of work to be done and not a lot of time to do it in. The last 20% of the work takes 50% of the time (Norm Augustine).

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I went through something similar about 12-15 years ago when a fellow touted a site in Virginia (near DC) as a site for the USGP. I met with him and visited the site. They had the track staked out and had starting 'dozing. They had beautiful plans for the paddock, the tower, the executive suites, etc. The county approved a new access road and had committed to running sewer/water, etc. After about 6 months of this, the guy just kinda fell off the face of the Earth. I don't know if it was a beautifully executed fraud, a Ponzi, or what, but it vanished overnight.

Hopefully Austin will come to fruition, but there is a lot of work to be done and not a lot of time to do it in. The last 20% of the work takes 50% of the time (Norm Augustine).

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry, I think you are referring to the Brandy Station F1 circuit.

My understanding is what happened was a bunch of civil war buffs stopped the whole project since they were building the track on the grounds of the 'largest civil war cavalry battle' or something like that. Googling the topic brings up a few hits.

Total BS if you ask me. I would have loved to live less than 2 hours away from an F1 track.
    Last edited by aims20; 03.09.11 at 1:46 AM. Reason: Spellcheck
    Andrew Spencer
    1990 Red Devil F500

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by aims20 View Post
    ....the grounds of the 'largest civil war calvary battle' or something like that....
    The place where they did in Jesus.

Cavalry= Mounted warriors who ride in to battle on horseback.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 7

You can stay up to date at this Austin News site:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula1/

Liked: 238

Default Jeez

US GP Promoter Eyes Fake Rain For Texas Track: 2012 US Grand Prix organizer Tavo Hellmund has admitted he thinks Bernie Ecclestone's idea to spice up F1 with artificial rain is "brilliant." F1 chief executive Ecclestone said it would be "easy" to ready the irrigation systems at "a number of tracks," and one of them could be the venue currently under construction in Texas. The Austin American Statesman reports that Hellmund thinks the idea is "brilliant," adding that wet weather racing is "spectacular" and "compelling" that allows "true talent" to shine. He also said the system was viable for Texas because construction of the track "is in the beginning stages." And Hellmund might be able to afford such a system, after it emerged that organizers have received $12.5 million from 10 private investors. But the Securities and Exchange Commission filing "did not give specifics about how the money would be used and gave no information about the investors," said the newspaper. The publication also said a mid-year debut date for the US GP next season, paired with the other North American race in Canada, is likely.
    Other than the lunacy of the idea in general, neither brilliant one is thinking that maybe the water might be needed to maintain sufficient drinking water supplies in a Texas city.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    Other than the lunacy of the idea in general, neither brilliant one is thinking that maybe the water might be needed to maintain sufficient drinking water supplies in a Texas city.

Bernie will want to invent synthetic rain.......he invents things ... just to get in the news....he really is a drama queen.

Liked: 141

I heard Bernie was going to bottle the runoff water and sell it at a premium . . . . . .

Run off...or recycled from the beer sells
    Quote Originally Posted by dereklola View Post
    I heard Bernie was going to bottle the runoff water and sell it at a premium . . . . . .
    Last edited by DB4 Tim; 03.11.11 at 11:08 PM.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Brandy Station
    That brings a whole series of things to mind.
    In the 1990's I was GM at Lime Rock and sometime I want to say 1994, maybe 1995, and through an old summer camp contact a guy name James Lazer called me.
    He had been from around Rochester NY I think. Anyway, he came to Lime Rock and we spent some time chatting, he spent the night with us, and filled us in on his plans.
    Yes, for a F1 track in Virginia, at Brandy Station.
    Between Warrenton , serious horse countey, and Culpepper.
    I invested some time working through various things with him, he sold a real good story of finances and contacts [he even mentioned Bernie ! In hindsight, highly doubtful].
    I went down to the DC area, he was living with a woman whose name I can't dredge up, and her child, it appeared she may have been his cash source, although I eventually met with his fater, james Sr, and he was involved.
    We had several meeting in Culpepper with assorted local real estate people and attorneys.
    As Larry says, he had the land somehow, he had a layout, and from what I remember it would have been a great facility. The property was typical northern Virginia rolling hills, some nice not extreme elevation changes, a stream, no visible wetlands, nice flat pine woods easily made into paddock/pit complex.
    It all looked great.
    He and I were about to execute a consulting contract which he assured me would lead to a management position when the track was completed.
    I bet he told Larry something similar.
    Then the Civil War preservationists got themselevs organized, huge political pressure, money raised, Lazer literally went missing.
    The woman he was living with kept calling to see if I knew anything or had heard from him.
    Where James Lazer is is anyones guess, seems to have been swallowed up.
    Thought he did own a Leyton House 891, I think, less motor, one of the late March turquoise cars. That surely has been sold numerous times since then.
    At least he told me he owned it when he showed it to me.
    Like Larry, I hope Austin doesn't follow in the path of Brandy Station and James Lazer.

Liked: 319

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof View Post
    Curmudgeon Central over and out.
    Ted,

You curmudgeon?

My first comment to a friend on this when it was first announced was that Bernie would end up with the $10 million deposit and there would never be a race in Austin. I've got a steak dinner at St. Elmo's in Indy riding on it.

Does not my early scepticism of the project earn me the curmudgeon award?

Or maybe not... But few people have ever gotten rich betting against Bernie.

Kip

Default You're in !!!

Yes, betting a steak dinner against the race ever happening definitely qualifies you as a certified curmudgeon. Goes me one better as I've just said it'll be late by a few years.

But you don't have to be a curmudgeon to know that Bernie has nothing to lose. Anyone with their eyes open knows that he will simply pick up a few billion in pocket change when the race doesn't happen or is late. Who knows, he prolly has a bigger personal side bet on Austin being late. Wily old bastard. He's just having fun at this late stage of life.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Default Latest Development

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...u&ana=e_du_pub

Red Combs will have to cough up more money. Then he will at a dangerously low level of $3.456B
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Wonder what kind of impact this will have

Default Impact

I don't think this will have a big impact and is minor compared to the other challenges ahead. $25 mill would finish off the luxury suites nicely or some such thing; shouldn't be critical to the racing facilities itself.

Anyone know what kind of equipment they have on the ground and how much they're spending each month on construction? That's the tale of the tape IMHO.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 4

Anyone know what kind of equipment they have on the ground and how much they're spending each month on construction? That's the tale of the tape IMHO.
    They did mention something about that at the press conference this week for the MotoGP announcement. I think it might have been 75 "tractors"...
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 384

Post RE

My racer buddies mom lives just few miles away .
    I really do hope they make it happen on time .
    Me and my friends been getting ready to go to 2012 GP ever since news got out.
    Let's just keep our fingers crossed and never mind Bernie's menopause tantrums.

Cheers.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

I saw the first video of dirt being moved last week on the local news.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Quote Originally Posted by DB4 Tim View Post
    Wonder what kind of impact this will have
    MMMMM! I like my steak medium rare!

Anyone up for a dead pool on the date they announce they are pulling the pin on the race and Bernie walks away with the deposit?

I'm in for $10 on March 12, 2012.

Liked: 43

Default Texas tax money to fund the race?

The state of Texas is considering a plan to spend $25 million dollars a year for 10 years to fund the F1 race.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...budget-crunch/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Welsh View Post
    The state of Texas is considering a plan to spend $25 million dollars a year for 10 years to fund the F1 race.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...budget-crunch/
    How many govt $ or tax abatements did TG, the Hulmans, and the IMS get to bring F1 to the states for 8 years?

Answer: $250 Million less than the state of Texas is proposing to give to the Austin bunch. Might as well be a Football team...

Default OK, and..............?

How many govt $ or tax abatements did TG, the Hulmans, and the IMS get to bring F1 to the states for 8 years?

Answer: $250 Million less than the state of Texas is proposing to give to the Austin bunch. Might as well be a Football team...
    And the point of this is ?? Help us out here.............some of us are old and can't keep up.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 25

Default Point

I think the point is that Tony George is dumb - it just isn't done that way anymore! Locally, the NBA team got money from the "Quality Jobs Act" to bring the team to OKC! Somehow they did not give jobs to many Oklahomans.
    - Frank C
    Edit: Mr. Offcamber1 apparently does not recognize sarcasm.
    Last edited by Frank C; 06.04.11 at 1:54 AM. Reason: Explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
    I think the point is that Tony George is dumb - it just isn't done that way anymore! Locally, the NBA team got money from the "Quality Jobs Act" to bring the team to OKC! Somehow they did not give jobs to many Oklahomans.
    - Frank C
    Here's a brief list of that "dumb" guy's accomplishments:

1. Brought NASCAR (arguably the best show in US racing) to IMS.
    2. Started a race series from scratch to compete with CART.
    3. Squashed CART.
    4. Brought F1 to IMS after substancial renovations.
    5. Brought Moto-GP to the speedway.

All of which was done without Federal, State, or local govt. subsidies. Admittedly, he seems to have done a pretty good job surrounding himself with bright, race savvy people like Leo Mehl, Joey Chittwood II and others.

Not too bad, IMO.

Liked: 676

Default 'accomplishments'

CART was the best racing series in the world, better than F1 by far. That 'accomplishment" voids all the rest. Mario, Big Al, Emmo and the rest ran more variety of tracks, ran them faster, ran them in more varieties of equipment, and were more competitve than any other series around. I miss the days when a Coyote passed a Wildcat, and not while it was in the pits. Now the IRL is a spec class, F1 doesn't pass, and NASCAR doesn't remember what a 'stock car' was. Just my opinion. I'm sure, as O'reilly says, "others may wish to opine."---Jim

PS: I do recognise that F1 is trying to solve their problem. I'm not sure the current efforts will be all that entertaining, but I'm glad they are working on it.

Liked: 25

Default June 17, 2012

FIA has announced the 2012 F1 calendar, and Austin is down for June 17, 2012, a week after Canada.
    http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/1822...-2012-calendar

- Frank C

Default Seems awfully quiet

I'm still waiting to hear Tavo or someone beating the drum about how much money they've spent, the progress they are marking and how they're on schedule. Can't find much. Just some local guy taking pictures through the fence that show a few scrapers moving a token amount of dirt.

Can anyone point me to some proof they are on schedule? The last minute inspection/approval by the FIA is less than 12 months away. How are you "glass 1/2 full" guys feeling about now?

Curmudgeon Central here.............Just browsing.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

The Porsche Club is taking a tour of the facility on June 17. I'll report what we learn then. The local news still reports opening in Jine 2012.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by turnbaugh View Post
    .............. taking a tour of the facility June 17.... ....................local news still reports opening in June 2012.....
    Hmm - two auspicious dates - FIA calendar shows June 17, 2012 for the US GP.

Liked: 1115

I How are you "glass 1/2 full" guys feeling about now?
    I'm a "48% excess capacity" guy. The deadline is still possible, but it was never going to be easy. A lot of work could be done at night if necessary...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 309

Not that I'll be attending, but I hope that is't the June Sprints weekend.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 353

That conflict is historic. When F1 was in Detroit it usually was a conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Not that I'll be attending, but I hope that is't the June Sprints weekend.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information