Liked: 447

Default ApexSpeed rFactor League Race 1: Mid-Ohio

Great racing last night guys!

The data from the race is now online. It can be reached by clicking on the "Mid-Ohio" link at the top of the league timing page.

Direct link is also here
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 129

Great racing last night. Was it just me, or do the races take a lot longer with the SRF? Everyone I raced with ran cleanly, though there seemed to be some interesting lines taken at times.

Attached are the points after round one.
    Jacques N. Dresang
    Kettle Moraine Preservation & Restoration
    1977 All American Racers Eagle DGF #005
    1972 Elden Mk10B AM73-49 - #140/1

Liked: 25

Jeez. All that work and not a point. How about a lower tier championship?
    Dave

Liked: 1417

Does Hispania Racing have a Tifosi?

Quote Originally Posted by Gokart Mozart View Post
    Great racing last night. Was it just me, or do the races take a lot longer with the SRF?

Yep, the races are lengthy but it's good to force everyone to have to pit. It adds a bit more strategy to the mix not to mention good practice for long stints of concentration in the real car.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 0

I liked the length of races too, having the pit strategy is a good thing also. With the races on an every other week schedule having a longer race seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Does Hispania Racing have a Tifosi?
    They have abanicos.
    Dave

Liked: 4

Good time last night. I owe an apology to Mark Swick for slamming him from behind on the first lap (T2). Other than that I just tried to stay out of the way and not hit anybody. I figured taking the leader out while getting lapped, would be a sure way to not get invited back.

I also learned the hard way about pit stops, never tried one, didn't think I would need to stop, until blue light came on in upper left portion of the screen. For sure a crash course in rfactor, but it was a good time.

One other thing I haven't figured out, is how to chat, I read everything but haven't figured out how to reply.

Are we racing every week or every other ?

Joe
    F600 #27

Some screen shots...
    Last edited by Gokart Mozart; 12.14.10 at 11:58 PM.
    Jacques N. Dresang

and more...
    Last edited by Gokart Mozart; 12.14.10 at 11:57 PM.
    Jacques N. Dresang

Sweet shots, just like the real SRF... No matter where you are you always have someone to race.

Awesome screen caps! Really close racing in all of those, all the way through the field. I don't think we could have had a better opening round, honestly.

For the guys who are struggling to grab onto the league for the first time, things like pit stops, tire and fuel management, standing starts or other variables outside of just hotlaps, maybe a practice race on the off weeks might help get accustomed to race activities and how you would like your controller buttons placed for maximum efficiency. I know some guys were having trouble with views, pit stops and the like, and that was from experienced SIM racers. Sometimes, it takes a little while to get into the swing of things.

Also, for chats, there are a few simple rules in the league that I don't think have been covered yet.

One, during racing, try to avoid text chats if at all possible, and that included passing directions. Use your mirrors and don't make any odd moves and the faster car will get by. The problem is that the chat messages in race go to EVERYONE on screen and many of us find them really distracting. I know Keith and I have on-track chats turned off so we don't even see what you are saying anyway. Past leagues had a few guys who couldn't shut up at all, so we deactivate them in-game.

Two, remember that post qualifying and post race, that the lobby chats are visible to the guys still on track. Try to keep all of the conversations on hold until the last guy is off the track in both instances. Just a little courtesy goes a long way.

Things get smoother as we go along, but a little pre-race testing on the server for things like pit stops and standing starts will go a LONG way in improving results.

dc

Damn, my awesome squarehead.design helmet paint jobs aren't showing up in the screen caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Jeez. All that work and not a point. How about a lower tier championship?

How about one with a BAC >.08?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Doug, I had all my graphics settings set to medium, as it was my first time using my apartment's internet and I didn't want to get too choppy. But, as things turned out, everything was smooth, so I might turn up the graphics wick for the next outing. If I could figure out how to edit the helmet file I'd have my pinstripe special working too!
    Jacques N. Dresang

Awesome screen caps! Really close racing in all of those, all the way through the field. I don't think we could have had a better opening round, honestly.

For the guys who are struggling to grab onto the league for the first time, things like pit stops, tire and fuel management, standing starts or other variables outside of just hotlaps, maybe a practice race on the off weeks might help get accustomed to race activities and how you would like your controller buttons placed for maximum efficiency. I know some guys were having trouble with views, pit stops and the like, and that was from experienced SIM racers. Sometimes, it takes a little while to get into the swing of things.

Also, for chats, there are a few simple rules in the league that I don't think have been covered yet.

One, during racing, try to avoid text chats if at all possible, and that included passing directions. Use your mirrors and don't make any odd moves and the faster car will get by. The problem is that the chat messages in race go to EVERYONE on screen and many of us find them really distracting. I know Keith and I have on-track chats turned off so we don't even see what you are saying anyway. Past leagues had a few guys who couldn't shut up at all, so we deactivate them in-game.

Two, remember that post qualifying and post race, that the lobby chats are visible to the guys still on track. Try to keep all of the conversations on hold until the last guy is off the track in both instances. Just a little courtesy goes a long way.

Things get smoother as we go along, but a little pre-race testing on the server for things like pit stops and standing starts will go a LONG way in improving results.

dc
    I agree with the chatting during the race. I was probably guilty of it at the end... forgot others were still finishing. Sorry for that. The chat option is nice though for info on a restart and such... so I don't like to disable mine. I don't think we need the pass right pass left stuff every 30 seconds... gets distracting. Other than that it seemed to be a great race with no wrecks... I have to admit my pit strategy was based on the fact I thought I would get trashed in the first lap

dc
    Yep, practice races aren't even needed to test standing launches and pit stops. Most of the time when practicing people are on the server alone anyway. Learn how to control the LCD menu and how to change fuel refills, tire changes, and body repair on and off in order to save yourself time in the pit lane when on the fly while you're driving. 3-4 seconds in the pits are a lot easier to trim off than trying to reel someone in on the track.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

A couple of points:

1) Thanks for posting a picture of me. Next time though please post one in which I am not spinning. Starting to stereotype me.

2) I stick a post-it note over the chat box so I'm not hearing you.

3) IF I finish a race I take a victory lap because for me it is a victory. Chat away while you're still in the "moment"!

4) BAC last night was 0.00 so beer or no beer my result is the same. Guess what I'm putting back on the prep list.

5) With the Carters approval I am planning a separate points championship to reward those who didn't finish in the top nine. $150 US already pledged by sponsors. More details later if I get the OK.

6) Let's do it every week!!!!!

7)
    Dave

I actually had to print out a cheat sheet that i taped up here next to the computer of what buttons do what on the wheel and shifter. After the race a few years ago at Autobahn where I accidentally hit the wrong key to get rid of the auto pit call, and wound up falling from 2nd place to last after I hit the pit entrance wall because I was driving from "spectator camera #2."

It helps a lot to keep everything straight when you have 30 different buttons and you get to SIM race like 4 times a month.

1) Thanks for posting a picture of me. Next time though please post one in which I am not spinning. Starting to stereotype me.
    But Dave, you're the only one making billowing clouds of smoke! I'll get a good powerslide shot of you next time out, I promise.
    Jacques N. Dresang

There was so much smoke in the air last night I thought I could smell brats and grilled steaks!
    Dave

Yeah last night had some good racing. I dont know about you guys, but I got hit like 10 times, but it was the others who spun when they hit me, so its fine with me .

If anyone can find it, Cameron and I had nice duet going through T4(?) I spun in front of him, and he followed me while I rolled backwards, pretty much nose to nose, I whipped it around and we kept racing, it was pretty sweet.

Steven
    SCCA WDCR
    Crew # 92 1986 Reynard SF2000
    Driver:# 92 1989 ITA Honda Civic Si

I believe I was one of the ten Steven, in T12 we touched and I spun. No biggy, I finished where I should have. You picked up a ton of time during the week!

I made an executive decision with 4 seconds to go to grid to try a totally different setup and I paid for it. Next time I'll go with the setup I actually spent time doctoring up.
    Jacques N. Dresang

I made an executive decision with 4 seconds to go to grid to try a totally different setup
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Yeah, Steven. I was wondering how I came up on you during the race. Once I got by, I kept hearing a car on my tail. That was pretty unusual to have happen when lapping someone so you must've had some hard luck. You definitely had pace though. Nice job on that part.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Just for you Dave.
    Last edited by Gokart Mozart; 12.14.10 at 11:57 PM.
    Jacques N. Dresang

I just watched some replays and man that was a duel at the front until Colin pitted!
    Dave

That's ok Joe. It seems a few laps later I screwed up and mauled you at turn 4 under braking. Did't expect your braking point but I also did bother to hang back a lap and find out where your braking point was. Then I went on to do plenty more things all by myself to toss my race. Practice practice practice.

Just for you Dave.
    Thanks Jacques!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    I just watched some replays and man that was a duel at the front until Colin pitted!

It was fun!! We passed eachother a couple of times every lap it seemed for the first dozen laps or so. I'll have to watch the replay tonight. He'd get around me at the keyhole and then I'd draft back by him down the back straight. That was indeed spec racing!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 17

The last 5 laps or so, my tires were going away and 11th place kept gaining a second or two on me. Was a very fun race all around, even if I did blow the start.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Quote Originally Posted by rmccown View Post
    The last 5 laps or so, my tires were going away and 11th place kept gaining a second or two on me. Was a very fun race all around, even if I did blow the start.
    Tell me about it.. A great idea I had to run the entire race on one set of tires

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Marklein View Post
    Tell me about it.. A great idea I had to run the entire race on one set of tires
    Doh!
    Dave

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default nice race...

thanks jac for the pic's

i had fun at mid-ohio, great race..

did notice that the fast guys are still fast (buggers)

but as stated above, the new guys are picking up pace fast (soon to be buggers)

aagggggggggghhhhhh
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Yeah, Steven. I was wondering how I came up on you during the race. Once I got by, I kept hearing a car on my tail. That was pretty unusual to have happen when lapping someone so you must've had some hard luck. You definitely had pace though. Nice job on that part.
    Thanks Keith, it took some figuring out, I kept trying to drive like I do in a FWD car until it hit me that this is a REAL race car. As I approached T1, I broke turned it, then my steering wheel conveniently shut off, sending me into the outside grass then back across the track, bouncing off the wall then across the track again in front of Jerry and someone else. Then I sat in the grass for a few seconds, the wheel came back on, and right when I got on track you passed me. Then we were running together, and i pulled a Doug, and switched my drivers view for the last lap or so. Good thing it was the last lap

Steven
    SCCA WDCR
    Crew # 92 1986 Reynard SF2000
    Driver:# 92 1989 ITA Honda Civic Si

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default just viewed the replay...

hey Caleb..
    lap 20 in the carousel, that was me that hit ya... i got excited when i seen you hit the curb before you went in and thought I'd dive underneath - didn't make it as you can see - my fault - sorry
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Liked: 9

Great pictures! For some reason I lost a second between practice and qualifying, and the same thing happened during the race. No matter what I did, I could not get back down to the 40's even close. I probably would have spun out anyway though. I know that almost everyone I passed after the 2nd lap, I ended up spinning in front of eventually...sorry about that! Great track though, and that was a very fun league race.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wagner View Post
    Great pictures! For some reason I lost a second between practice and qualifying, and the same thing happened during the race. No matter what I did, I could not get back down to the 40's even close.
    Me too... full fuel tanks will do that to ya. I have no idea how the guys up front kept that pace up. I was working my arse off the whole race just to be in the low 1:42s. I didn't push nearly as hard in the race as in open practice, though, where nothing happens to you for spinning or blowing a corner. Do it in the race, though, and you could lose 2-3 spots at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Santucci 33 View Post
    hey Caleb..
    lap 20 in the carousel, that was me that hit ya... i got excited when i seen you hit the curb before you went in and thought I'd dive underneath - didn't make it as you can see - my fault - sorry
    Not a problem Jerry, I was having a lot of trouble with my setup and was really slow in that portion of the track. Also my virus software decided to minimize my rfactor session while going down the backstraight!

Thread Information