Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Default Frame Identification Help

Hi. This is my first post and I am looking for some help. I just picked up a frame, some body pieces and molds from what appears to be (to me anyway) a mid-seventies FF. The body looks very much like a Lola T 342 but the nose and upper body are all one piece. The mold for the rear also looks Lola. The frame fits the body but it doesn't look Lola. I have added some images so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Earley Motorsports; 10.28.12 at 2:12 PM.

Liked: 3

I agree about the Lola influence, but Lola's windscreen area was much more round. That area on this one looks more like a Lotus 61.

Looks like the radiator would have been hung from the rear trailing arms (like Image, PRS, etc) -- definitely mid-70s design!

Have you been able to find any numbers stamped on the frame anywhere?

I don't have it at my place yet so I have not been able to search for any numbers. My son picked it up for me and is getting ready to ship it to me. The guy I got it from thought it was a Lotus 69 but they have the radiator in the front and this does not. Thanks for the reply.
    Graham.

A former Lotus owner pointed out some other Lotus trademarks missing (sheet metal bulkheads, a single diagonal crossbrace over the driver's legs), but the all round-tube construction and removeable upper rear crossmember look like they were copied from Lotus as well.

Liked: 610

Default Frame Help

As I recall, the Lotus 61 also had a front radiator. Don't remember if it ran the coolant through the frame tubes, which was popular back then.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default chassis id

probably easier to state what it is not : Alexis, Caldwell, Lola, Lotus, Crossle, Hawke (although it does appear to have parallel lower links in the back), Macon, Titan, Royale, Merlyn, Le Grand, Cooper/Fejer, etc.

i am guessing this was a homebuilt or pieced together from a few wrecks

a LOT of things just look wrong! that being said there might be a French connection LOL

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 11

Default Mystery FF

Front glass is Lotus 61 M (note shift lever blister). Chassis appears to have may similarities to a 61 as well, but probably a copy. 61's ran external plumbing.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Lotus 61?

I'm sitting here, comparing your pictures with my 61. The forward section looks very 61-ish, but the aft section is definitely not what the original 61s had. They didn't have the kick-up, but maintained the wedge shape. The end of the bodywork then angled down at about 75 degrees, and had a louver design.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Default Thanks so far

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I have been searching around and most of the 61Ms I found had the radiator in the front with a small opening/grille. Then I found this one. A 1971 Lotus 61M. Apparently they made 250 different versions of them.

As you can see it has the raditor mounted on the left side. Larry, as for the rear being different you are correct. I think the one I have is a mold for a Lola T-340. The one above pictured appears not to have any but the others I have seen have the same back as you mention. Now, just to figure out the frame. The Lotus have the stamped sheet metal dash area. Mine doesn't. It also has the frame stepped in on the outer rails also and looks as though that is where the rear of the upper A arms attach. Thanks again for the help.
    Graham.

I still can't help seeing Zink Z-10 in the downward curve of the nose, but I'm sure Dave Weitzenhof would know if that's a Zink chassis of any vintage!

Default Chassis id

hey guys quit looking at the body for clues

look at the tubular spaceframe

tell me that that piece hasn't been modified or spliced

i think a positive id is going to be impossible without input from someone who has worked on this particular (type) car

From the dash bulk head back it looks Lotus. But then it steps in and looks as though it has had the front end of something else grafted on although the inner upper side tubes look as though they carry on through right up to the front bulk head. I am trying to find a 1971 61M chassis photo to see if any other parts look familiar on the front. We are getting closer though. Thanks again.
    Graham.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far guys. I have been searching around and most of the 61Ms I found had the radiator in the front with a small opening/grille. Then I found this one. A 1971 Lotus 61M. Apparently they made 250 different versions of them.

As you can see it has the raditor mounted on the left side. Larry, as for the rear being different you are correct. I think the one I have is a mold for a Lola T-340. The one above pictured appears not to have any but the others I have seen have the same back as you mention. Now, just to figure out the frame. The Lotus have the stamped sheet metal dash area. Mine doesn't. It also has the frame stepped in on the outer rails also and looks as though that is where the rear of the upper A arms attach. Thanks again for the help.
    Graham.

Graham,

You are correct that the unmodified cars have a front radiator and did run their coolant through the frame. The photo you have selected is not representative of any versions of the 61 and has been changed by an individual to incorporate a side mounted radiator. The Lotus also use a simple double 'A' arm front suspension whereas the frame shown in your photos appears to utilize a trailing arm up top. To my eye there are few, if any similarities between your chassis and my 61 frame.

Good luck with your search,

Rob

Liked: 319

Looks Canadian?

Default Zink Z10 Pictures

Still looking. Does anyone have any pictures of an early Z 10 frame? I have noticed some similarites from the dash bulk head back. One in particular is the 2x1 crossbrace the roll bar attaches too. The more pictures the merrier. Thanks in advance.
    Graham.

Liked: 1875

Sorry - not even close to resembling a Z10 frame.

Default Still looking

Anybody else have any ideas? Thanks for all the responses and views so far.

Liked: 6

I can grab some pictures of my Z10C if you'd like, but yours is not a Z10, they look nothing alike.

Thanks for the offer, but I agree, it isn't a Z10. One day I will know what it is.

Default UFO

your only hope in getting a more confident id of this frame is to complete the car and truck it around the country to various vintage ford events and show it sans bodywork...........eventually a consensus can be reached as to which vehicles were quilted together to fashion your racer

too bad there is no sole source for formula car fanatics to review your photos

Default UFO

Thanks, it could be worse and have nothing at all . I haven't given up hope though.

Liked: 25

Default UFO

I will add my $0.02, I can say that none of the frame is Lola, or Lotus 51 or 61
    the rear engine cover is most certianly a Lola T342 modified, and the center section is from a Lotus 61 with the original opening for the radiator closed off.
    The original nose was pretty flat all the way from the windshield area down to the very front, yours appears flat until just forward of the front wheel centerline, then curves downward, which is why I concluded that its been modified?

I agree that a visit to some vintage races may offer some clues.

hope this helps a bit?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for your time.
    Graham.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Chassis ID?

...still not sure what it is, but you might want to measure the distance between the front suspension points and use that as a hint. I'm assuming that most of the cars had somewhat different wishbone fore/aft measurement...also assuming that it had dual front wishbones and not radius rod/lateral link.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Default Got some more photos

Hi all. I now have the chassis in my garage and have some additional info. I still have not found a number on it yet but maybe something will show when I sand blast the frame. There are a few characteristics that may help ID it. The rear roll bar bulk head has an offset notch in it which to me looks as though it is for a timing belt which makes me think it maybe a FF2000. It is all bronze welded. The lower frame tubes slope up from the dash bulkhead forward. The notched in frame in front of dash bulk head is where the upper control arms would mount. Thanks to all those that have answered and thanks for any help that can be offered.
    Last edited by Earley Motorsports; 10.28.12 at 2:12 PM.

Thread Information