'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default GULP!

Like, OMG, totally gnarly.

... and they walked away!

Liked: 111

The next to last flip before landing onto the pea gravel upside-down must really have resulted in helmet to tirewall contact. I think if that had been concrete or armco at that point, different results may have been resultant.
    jim

Liked: 0

Wow. I don't there's a Formula Ford driver who hasn't ended up in the gravel at Paddock Hill Bend (I have have!) and that was a fine effort.

Liked: 25

Default Posts

I noticed that the car got so high up against the catch fence that one might start having concerns about the angled-in tops of the support posts pushing into the car. Pretty scary.
    - Frank C

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default What set it off?

Anybody know the dynamics of the situation? Approach speeds, wheel to wheel contact? I heard the driver is "Okay", but any more info on that?---Jim

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

If you look closely at the video he's already backwards coming into the frame

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Anybody know the dynamics of the situation? Approach speeds, wheel to wheel contact? I heard the driver is "Okay", but any more info on that?---Jim
    I don't know anything about the crash, but in FF1600 we were doing about 120mph before a brief brake and drop down to third. The newer FF's are a fair bit quicker. It's the place to watch at Brands because so many cars go off there. The approach is quick and uphill and all you can see is the fence dead ahead. It levels and drops off quickly and the car moves around alot on the way in but you're on the gas pretty early to get a run down the hill into the compression at the bottom and back up to Druids (the hairpin at the top of the hill). It's a great sequence of two corners for overtaking. When I used to race there there was often an American Flag at the marshalls (corner worker's) post on the way in to Druids.

Liked: 1871

Watch closely enough and you can see that he hits the car in front of him with his right front wheel to the other cars left rear - the first fram is just after the hit, but you can see the front suspension damage on his car and then a couple of frame later the damage to the left rear on the other.

With the way he got launched, it looks like he was still going at a pretty good clip. Hard to tell if the other car had over-slowed or not, though it look like that may be what happened.

Thread Information