Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Hey Guys..
    you probably discussed this a million times, but a quick scan of past posts and i couldn't find anything.
    soooo... how does F2000 Heat stack up to GPL. pro's --- con's. i have, and love GPL and was wondering, (you know - inquiring minds want to know?)what the thoughts were from people who use F2000 AND GPL.
    another ?, (this ? i know the answer, but - i am hopeful) do you need a good hookup to the internet to play on line. due to a bad hookup now, i can not play gpl on line without warping out..
    just wondering the above.. if anyone has input, THANKS!
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Liked: 1417

Well, I have played both, as well as the highly modded Sports Car GT, and I can tell you that there is no comparrison for feel and realism between the bunch.

GPL is cool and realistic, but frustrating for me because of the complete differences to current day handling. You are learning tracks and getting a completely unrealistic sense of the depths and proportions of the driving areas, because of the lack of traction. Personally, I started playing these to help my real skills in adapting to new tracks and learning a bit more about testing and car setup. GPL is a neat game, but I actually have removed it from my hard drive since NH was purchased.

The testing that has been done on the F2000 mod for this game has created a SIM that actually feels like a real FC on the track. It really is amazing.

As far as online racing, a bad internet connection for GPL is a bad internet connection for NH. It won't make for a very fun time online for you or anyone else in the race.

d

Liked: 0

The F2000 to GPL isn't a fair comparison, as both cars are completely different. If you would like a mod quite close to GPL try the Lotus F3 trainer mod. The same creators of F2000 did the Lotus, and I believe this is as close to GPL as you'll get with a Nascar Heat mod, they have a bit more grip but handle more like a car from the sixties.

Liked: 447

I tried GPL for a while and it was too frustrating to drive due to the lack of traction and "feel" of the car. I was then hooked into SportscarGT for a while since the driving was better suited to racing and not just keeping it on the track. After a few mods with SCGT in order to introduce new cars to it though and it would start to crash, sputter, and puke. The HEAT mods all have the best control out of all of the racing games I've ever played. EA's F1 2001 for the PC and 2002 for the PS2 were also very good. HEAT will be on my PC until Bob and Malc come up with something bigger and badder! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

it has been decades since i have been on track seriously. DespitethatI have a problem with gpl for two reasons, the car and tires have no feel to them. it is like car and tires are just one piece. forward, back and pivot about the center are the only things that happen or can happen. You can also get away with techniques on Gpl that you had better never try in a real car! Minor gripe is that things like tire temps are there and look reasonable but seem to have no connect with what the physics are doing.

Scgt has a lot of tracks and cars and looks good, but keeping it running with addons is a struggle. the physics involved have barely advanced from GPL. the updated versions of SCGT ie. f12001 and f12002 have much improved screens, textures and looks but again the physics have the limitations of feeling like that block again.

maybe it my imagination, but i think i can feel what each tire is doing in heat. i have felt the steering torque drop in the force feedback as the front tires loose their traction etc.
    i am looking forward to something better on the horizon that heat; but do not see any prospects yet. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I may sound like a broken record here, but i too have tried GPL upon the insistance of a friend who SWEARS its the realest of the real. Well, i too deleted it from my HD, as it was IMPOSSOBLE for me to drive. You and I all know I'm not the greatest sim racer by any stretch of the imagination, but GPL was utterly ridiculous to me.
    Some of us/you have driven 500+ hp cars, and or cars that had a horsepower/weight ratio that would allow a donut at a flik of the throttle, simulating GPL, but in GPL it seemed like there was no throttle-ability WHATSOEVER.

The one thing that GPL has going for it that i REALLY liked was the CIRCUITS, and the lengths of same. It's awesome to be able to drive 20 miles without seeing the same turn twice!

F3 is the sim I plan on replacing the vintage open wheel GPL with.

I agree there is NO COMPARISSON!

LONG LIVE HEAT AND IT's MANY MODS!

WFO

Interesting topic to discuss here,

I did create the Lotus F3 to feel like GPL cars. I drove GPL for a couple of months prior to doing the Lotus so I could see why all the GPL guys liked it. I hated it at first because I couldn't keep the car on the road, I kept at it and finally figured out what it took to drive it.

I found that there are two things about GPL that (I think) guys like about it. the tranny has a high diff rate so you can't just let up on the gas, and the front end seems to have a lot of caster so the cars feel very twitchy (I like twitchy). [img]smile.gif[/img]

The things I didn't like about it have already been mentioned but the biggest one is when you loose the car there is usually no saving it
    I think both the LotusF3 and the F2000 are pretty good at recovering from a slide (MHO)

One of my favorite things about heat is what Oldns_low said, with the correct balance in the physics you can actually feel the front or rear when you start to loose grip. I also though this was my imagination when I was doing the physics for the F2000 but it is true. I think it is 1/2 physical with the Force Feedback and 1/2 visual but you can feel it just before the grip lets go!

I have been playing around with Racer which is still pretty crude but it is pretty exact in its physics and can use real data to create cars such as actual tire pacejka figures to model tires. It is a ways off yet but I think it will be a very accurate sim when finished (or at least out of beta).

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Hey Guys..
    thanks for all your replies! WOW, that is the most replies i have had on either FF1600 or FFU.
    from your posts, i guess it's time for me to try out Heat. i will take a look tomorrow at Best Buy and see if they have it in there rack..
    as of now, sad to say, i doubt if i will be joining you on line. the best i hook up at is 26,400. we have a really bad phone service and i checked the line and the best the line could give was 26,400. but, cable hook up in my area is soon to come, soooooo ya never know.
    thanks again for all the feed back, i will ask a few other questions after i get "the Heat" on my puter... enjoy the rac'n..
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

I also forgot to address the on line play over a modem. I designed most of my cars to be low poly (the actual 3D model) so it isn't such a drag on systems during network play.

If you have a good clean line you should have no major problems but a clean connection is a must. There is another thread here that tells you all about how to "prep" for on line racing.

Thread Information