Liked: 23

Default FFX Formula F for the 2010 ARRC at Road Atlanta

All:

Thanks to the support of Butch Kummer of the Atlanta Region, the ARRC event at Road Atlanta Nov 5-7 2010 will include a FFX class for Formula Ford cars. Specifically, the FFX class will be GCR compliant Formula F's with one minor difference: 30.5mm restrictor for Honda powered FFs.

We asked Sandy at Quicksilver what restrictor should be chosen if we wanted to race to the original equality definition (2bhp below a national level Kent). Sandy suggested 30.5mm which I believe is 115bhp. FFX compliant restrictor plates will be provided courtesy of Quicksilver and will be drawn out of a hat before first practice.

As Butch announced earlier the ARRC will be open to all drivers/classes this year except a driver who participated in a class at the runoffs can't compete in the same class at the ARRC.

So, whether you ran the runoffs in a kent or not, you can run FFX at the ARRC since its a different class.

Unlike previous years hard tires will not be required for FFX. Any legal FF tire will be allowed.

Registration Link: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...394D575FCC69BA

Registered Drivers:

Steve Oseth
    John Robinson III
    John Vlassis
    Sean Maisey
    Tim Dunn
    Wes Allen

Those I understand are looking to attend so far:

John Benson
    Dave Zurlinden

Please reply here if you're planning to attend and I'll keep the roll call updated.

Tim
    Last edited by TimW; 10.21.10 at 1:06 PM.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 1417

Well done!

Liked: 4

Default Restrictor Size

I really like the idea of using the larger restrictor. It is a clever way to test it in a competitive environment.

Now if we can only insure that the Honda drivers wont be sandbagging

Paul

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

if Zurlinden comes, I'm in....ric

....and as far as sandbagging, 2nd place tastes like a s#!t sandwich

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Default FFX

Great idea. Looking at Mike Scanlon's video of the runoffs, he was clearly just too far away on power. Everyone who drafted past was able to drive away. It looked like another 5 bhp or so might have gotten him up to and staying in the midfield scrap. However, he also looked like he had good low end torque out of the slow corners. Atlanta will be a really interesting view.
    BB2

Liked: 553

FYI, I don't think Tim or anyone is hoping to "prove" anything with this larger restrictor experiment (right, Tim?). It might offer some data points but will have too many variables to draw any conclusions.

Thanks for putting me on the list above but I doubt I'll have my conversion completed by then. There is probably enough time, but not enough money. Plus, if I don't rush to make the ARRC I can spend more time on all aspects of the car, including bodywork, new dash, etc.

I do think I'll be there racing an ITS RX-7, and I look forward to checking out the Fit powered cars.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Correct Russ, the intention of this is to drive our Formula Fords to their original intentions as Honda powered, rather than slog around with no air at the end of the straight. We can't stop people from reviewing the results and drawing their own conclusions, but no one on the CRB has been involved in this nor have they asked for any information from it. Its strictly to go race our FFs to the speeds we did before conversion and hopefully be equally equipped to dice at the end of a straight with the Kents who are also there.

Sorry you won't be able to make it Russ. Let us know if you find any quick wins in the conversion that lets you make the event.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    I really like the idea of using the larger restrictor. It is a clever way to test it in a competitive environment.

Now if we can only insure that the Kent drivers wont be sandbagging

Paul
    Fixed that for you!

As others have said, no one from the CRB has asked us to do this and I'm not sure they're even aware we're doing it. From my (Atlanta Region's) perspective it's to encourage more attendance at the ARRC and if someone wants to use the results from the weekend as additional data points in the ongoing discussions that's up to them.

And you guys (CF, F6, FFX, FST, F5, FF, FV) will be the first race after lunch on Saturday so you'll have all day Sunday to sober up and/or drive home.

See y'all at the track...

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default ARRC FFX

Wow, this sounds great. I've been waiting all year to run against some Honda's, I just don't see any way I can make it down there. The plate size would seem moot unless some Kent's show up. I will say that if Benson makes it, then that will be a real good comparison, because he can flat out drive that car and if he still has his Runoffs motor in the car, it's a legitimate bullet and make for a good comparison.

Liked: 64

Anybody else going? I checked registration this morning 1 CF and 2 FFX. I thought about loading up the Piper or Merlyn and getting a race in but not much competition! Anybody else considering it???
    Wes Allen

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Wes, Come on down, there will be competition. With the increased restrictor size things should be much more even. The CF entered is pretty good as well.

Liked: 0

Default Entry

Wes, Come on down. Get a look at the old Piper (converted). Will enter this week.

Got my iRacing set up so I can practice Road Atlanta..JV

Thanks for the reply guys. Right now I'm a diffident maybe. I have to find time to put the engine back in the Piper. Life's responsibilities getting in the way. I should make a decision within the next day or two.
    Thanks Wes

Hey guys, I'm in! I just registered! Tim Wise is flying in to help me out. See you there!

Updated the entry list above. We're up to 6 cars now.

As Wes pointed out, my recent time flexibility is being put to use to help get one more car on the grid so I will be down there crewing. Happy to help Wes.

Tim
    Last edited by TimW; 10.21.10 at 8:01 PM.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Default Used Tires?

I'll be there to spectate & crew, probably Friday & Saturday. I'll plan to take pictures for apexspeed.

Is there a chance someone will have a used set of tires for sale I can take home with me after the event? I have a strong preference for Hoosier.

Thanks.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Hey Russ, I have a good set of Hoosier R35.
    email me for more info.
    Wes
    wallen@lexairinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Allen View Post
    Hey Russ, I have a good set of Hoosier R35.
    email me for more info.
    Wes
    wallen@lexairinc.com
    Awesome. Thanks. Will do.

Liked: 313

So Wes, if you're driving the Piper, who's driving the Merlyn? It's been years since we've raced each other.

Hey Dave,
    Yeah, the Merlyn is an absolute joy to drive. I was going to take it to the ARRC,but need to do more development work on the Piper. My son's 17 now and the Merlyn's available for him to drive when he's ready. Actually I finished right behind you at the 40th in the Merlyn.
    Wes

Liked: 65

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I'll be there to spectate & crew, probably Friday & Saturday. I'll plan to take pictures for apexspeed.

Is there a chance someone will have a used set of tires for sale I can take home with me after the event? I have a strong preference for Hoosier.

Thanks.
    Russ, I'd offer you some ole R25, but I think the ones from Wes might be newer. Besides, not sure how 4 FF tires strapped to the top of the F650 Dakar would ride like.

Looking at the formula cars turning out I may come down to spectate, crew, be annoying, etc.

Thanks, Ted. Wes made me a good deal for a set of slicks and rains, so I'm happy. I was planning to drive my Miata to the track but may need to make other arrangements. :-).

It's too early to guess the weather, but we're hoping it will be nice like it has been most times for past ARRCs. There will be plenty of interesting cars and very good drivers, so it should be a fun weekend.

Weather report: Wet this morning (test day), but rain is leaving the area. The rest of the weekend looks clear (but a bit chilly - highs around 55).

Friday's weather was bizarre. Clear and cold for the morning and afternoon, with a well timed hail storm(!) at lunch time. Today is supposed to be good weather, but ...

The FF race is going to be tight and fun to watch. Qualifying results can be seen here: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=612002

Steve Brooks (local CF driver) has impressed a lot of people by being so near the pole.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 09.29.13 at 9:32 AM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

The Formula F's put on a great race. Tim Dunn was looking strong in the lead, holding off strong pressure from Brooks and Oseth early in the race, but he had some type of mishap, came in on the wrecker (but all body work and 4 corners were still in place, at least). Tim and four other guys (Wes Allen, Steve Oseth, Phil Kingham, Steve Brooks) posted fastest race laps between 1:34.2 - 1:34.6. It was very close. IIRC, Wes started the race around fifth place in the FF/FFX/CF cars and slowly picked them off to take a class win (and 3rd OA).

Tim and Steve O. must have gotten compliments all weekend. Their cars looked fantastic (as did Wes' and others).
    Last edited by RussMcB; 09.29.13 at 9:32 AM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Tim Dunn Crash

Anybody know how Tim Dunn is doing? On lap 12 he spun coming out of T5, almost caught it but when it got onto the grass it flew backwards into the outside concrete wall. He came to rest blocking half the track. Before the field slowed down someone came by and took off his nose. That was a scarey moment! FYI He moved the wall enought that between races they brought out the big tractor to move the wall back into place.

I came around the corner just after the impact. The car didn't look to bad. An ambulance was not dispatched and the wreck was cleared up very quickly. I think he is OK.

After the crash I saw the car and noticed a substantial "scuff" (small dent) on the nose, so (assuming that was the nose on the car when it crashed), it didn't go head-on hard into anything. I also did not see any really badly damaged/missing suspension or bodywork. I remember feeling bad for Tim, but thinking Paul and the Rsport guys would have it looking great again soon. Hope so. Tim and Paul both spent some time fielding my questions about the Honda conversion. I really appreciated it.

Liked: 7

I spoke with Paul R after the race. Tim had already left. Paul told me the the transmisson was wiped out. You could see the spider gears. Tim wasn't clear how he lost the car. I think there was oil put down by one of the FFirst's that was in front of me going through the esses.

SteveO

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

How many Honda's showed? What restrictor plate was used? How were the conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    How many Honda's showed? What restrictor plate was used? How were the conditions?
    4. 30.5. Cold. Sunny & clear but 48 degrees at the green flag.

Sorry to hear about Tim's contact. Hopefully it'll be back together in time for the pro season.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

I was on cruise control and got to the top of the hill past 5 and the car just turned around and shot off the track. When I got out of the car my reaction was 'Why did that happen?'. Steve O's comment about oil makes sense.

Over the winter the car had a ground up as part of the Honda conversion. Part of the job included relocating the shoulder harness mounts so the belts pulled my shoulders down properly, before they were too high and I never felt like they were holding me as well as they could. I mentioned to Rob and Paul several times this weekend that this was the best seat / belt setup I had ever had. Everything fit perfectly. Good thing. My ribs are pretty tender but other that that I'm OK. HANS + great belts + great seat = broken car but OK driver. Thanks R Sport for making my car safe...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

Default FFX vs. FF

Could someone enlighten me as to the rule differences between FFX and FF at the ARRC? How close should the lap times of a FFX configured car be to a FF configured car at the ARRC? Given the track conditions how close could a FFX car come to the existing FF track record at the ARRC this past weekend? Trying to gauge the relative lap times of the F5/F6 to the FFX under the same track conditions.

The FFX class was for Honda powered FF's, but they used a 30.5 restrictor instead of the current Club mandated 29 (or is it 29.5?). That was the only difference between FF & FFX. Even with the 30.5 the Honda is probably still less HP than a top flight National level Kent. At least two of the FFX drivers were on Hoosier R45 compound tires (a harder compound than the 25's that would probably be the best shot at setting records), and it was cold (low to mid 50's) so I doubt they were capable of running record setting times. Hope this helps...?

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Ted,
    FFX allowed the Hondas to run a larger restrictor, 30.5. Before the inclusion of the Hondas, FFX was a FF on CF spec tires.
    For comparison, a national level FF with stickie tires should be about where Clint was. My feeling is the Hondas should have been about 2 seconds faster then the CF to close to a kent.
    This is not a good comparison as both cars are very new and drivers rather "rusty" ...LOL I would include myself in the "rusty" catagory as it has been more then 5 months...geesh
    Congrats Steve for the win and you got a head start on testing the new tire I heard.

John

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

Default FFX vs FF

John and ragingti thank you for the info. Wasn't to sure about the tires.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Steve Brooks

He's the real deal, at Mid-Ohio in October in his 2nd time at the track he was running 1:33's in his club Ford on R60's! I followed him and the kid can drive! He also has a heck of a nice set of crewman/coaches. On my way home from the track I was hustling the truck and trailer to get home as I had just been informed that my Dad had been rushed to the hospital. The truck started slowing down and I was looking at my gauges to see what was wrong. They pull up beside me and let me know a tire had let loose on the trailer. They stopped, loaned me there Easy Ramp to get the tire off the ground, helped me change the tire and wave traffic away from me all while looking at an 9 hour tow to Atlanta. Class driver and class crew, looking forward to seeing them more in the future. Thanks again!

Joe

Thread Information