Liked: 1417

Default RTJ-2 Formula Vee

The 2005 Runoffs included a car driven by Nelson Mason, an RTJ-2. A very pretty candy red car that was very swoopy and contemporary looking. I have never seen it before, and not since.

Does anyone know anything about this car, where it is today and who made it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Liked: 49

no idea, but I love that color!

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Three were made by Art Mason of Niagara Falls . Ontario, Canada.

Art's son Jay raced the first one for many years in Canada and the Northeast, making several trips to the Runoffs at Road Atlanta and Mid-Ohio. Jay won a ProVee race at the Glen in the early 90s.

Two other cars were later built and raced by Art's grand sons. Jesse and Nelson, who won a bunch of races in Canada, and some in Northeast and Southeast. Randy Smith now has one which is maintained by Bill Vallis and swept the 2009 Florida Nationals. The other one, shown, was sold to a regional racer in the PA area. I believe the first was scrapped when making the later cars.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Thanks Greg, I knew someone here would know the origins of the car.

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

I bought that car in spring '07 (I think your pic is from '06 Runoffs at Topeka). I saw it on the SPEED coverage, and loved it, so I jumped on it when it came up for sale.

I've been hillclimbing here in PA with it, and am doing my 2nd drivers school at Watkins Glen this weekend, so next year I should be doing most regionals. TINY little car, but it goes nice. I actually won my first 3 races in it. I smacked it up, wiped out the transaxle & RF corner, and have been getting it back together since (I'm a single 27yo that's house hunting as well).

PS.... thanks to Ray Carmody for the major help getting it ready again.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 830

Matt,
    I have a WONDERFUL racer house/home/property for sale for you. Only minor problem is that it's just west of ATLANTA, GA ... Can you commute? I'd LOVE to get this off my hands. I now live about 2 hours away and it's driving me CRAZY !!

Steve, FV80

Well Steve..... Yea, I'll take it for the right price. Funny you mention the area, I've seen/heard a bunch pf properties down there that are incredible deals. Most of what I've seen is half the price as what it would cost up here.

Liked: 830

Yeah - I'm down to almost 1/2 of what I thought I could get for it about 18 months ago .
    Seems that having "property" is NOW a liability as no one wants to pay the TAXES on the land .... but it's nice to know YOU have control of what happens "pretty close" (5.5 acres) to you. (I had a <6 mile drive to work for almost 30 years )
    Steve

Matt, do you have any other photos of the car?

Hi Doug.

I don't have too many good ones yet, but here is a link to my FaceBook. There are some of Nelson Mason yet, but most are of me. At least you get a couple good angles of the car. There are scattered pics & an album there, and I'm pretty sure you can see them all.

I have not changed much on the car yet, since the number is unused in regionals & hillclimbs. This winter I am going to do some fixing of the body work, painting it (I almost hate to change it since everyone loves the color), new seat, and kinda making it more "me".

http://www.facebook.com/#!/MidgetRac...?v=photos&so=0

Thread Information