Liked: 0

Default Darryl Wills 2010 SCCA FM Champion

I've started a new thread so we can congratulate Darryl on his National Championship

Darryl Wills came out to run in our series this year and on a track that he never had seen before was one of the fastest guys in FM. On the Runoffs results he is shown as having the fastest lap of the race. I've watched him on a couple of corners and he drives and races with excellence.

Darryl, I am sorry your National championship was tainted by bad etiquette. If you look at the bright side more people are talking about the FM class than ever before and you are the SCCA FM top dog this year! Revel in the fact that most of the FM community thinks you are a bad ass (I was warned in advance of meeting you this summer that you were going to bring the heat to our local guys.)

I know some of the glory was ripped off, but please don't let that taint your huge accomplishment. You were a champion before you won the championship, and you are very well respected by the racing community. That can't be said of all your competitors.

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

congrats darryl. now u get to go to cali and wheel and new miata. they are fun

Liked: 18

Congratulations Darryl,
    I have been in Formula Mazda since 2002 and have had some great races against some great drivers. I have to say that our race on Sunday was the best that I have ever had in FM. All of the drivers raced hard and clean. I have never swapped positions more in a race than I did with you.
    When I saw you looking down the inside coming into Canada Corner on the last lap, I went as deep as I have all weekend you made it stick and we went through there side be side.
    What a race, I cant wait to see it on SpeedCast!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Good Idea to clear the air. Congrats on YOUR win.

Default Congrats Cowboy!

Shoot.... You flat got er done.... I wasn't close enough to see the pass Mikey talks about but seems like he likes it! lol

I got my fill of the Cowboy a few times now.... Went to Texas to see what all the fuss was about and came home second both times. I was hoping at the runoffs to bring it but had nothing for ya. Now don't get all fat and happy too quick.... cause I am not giving up that easy.

I just want to say how proud of your win I am and that it could not have happened to a better guy. You will represent the crown well for the next year so enjoy every minute of it.

As you know the competition was stiff in FM this year but I can promise you and everyone else this: 2011 will be the best year yet. You are the Champ that everyone is gunning for Cowboy.

Your whole team at Hillenburg has been so much fun to hang out with this year at Texas and Indy Car as well. Anyone who has their head on straight knows that Formula Mazda is having the most fun....

Congrats Darryl Wills, 2010 SCCA Runoffs Super Sweep Champion

Liked: 146

A very fast, very cool dude. Congratulations!

BTW also no slouch behind the wheel of a winged sprint car either.

Dale V.

Liked: 14

Default Champ!!

Darryl,
    I raced with you at VIR this year. You were fast there too and won that as well. Your car preparation is impeccable and so is your driving. Now move on to another class so I don't have to race you anymore. (just kidding kinda) You are going to be our best National Champion period.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default That's mah boy!

I met Darryl back in '04 @ Mid Ohio Runoffs. We were paddocked sorta near each other, and it was immediately apparent that this guy could hustle a FM around a race track.
    Throughout the week, we were close in the Q's, and it looked like we would have a pretty good race. When he mentioned his experience in other forms of racing, ie, Dirt Sprints - I knew I would have my hands full as the FM is so much a slider, probably THE reason I love(d) them so much!

I hate the fact that I missed the race, but can't wait to see the speedcasttv.com coverage.

The thing I like and admire about this guy is the fact that he's as low key as can be: Darryl has no ego, his driving does the talking.

Way to go D Dubya! (In that order)

Coop

Liked: 35

Way to go Darryl. Watching you and Mike go at it into turn 5 was down right awesome. Scotty. Taylor Race Engineering
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Liked: 9

Default Pretty cool, cowboy

Kudos dude. Nice to win, and better to do with respect. And you earned ours out here at the Indy weekend. Nicely done, champ.

Guess you had that dipstick stuck in there really well, huh?
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 29

Default congrat

Daryl great win and you did it the right way. Well deserved national championship.

Look forward to racing with you next year.

Steve
    FM # 68

Liked: 59

Congrats Daryl! Great drive!

Liked: 27

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I have been racing almost 35 years and this is by far the most special championship I have ever won. My parents have seen this thread are beaming with pride..That would be enough, except I have to say that racing and socializing with all of those in the Road Racing community has been a high point in my racing career(Yes! when you spend this much time and money on something, it has to be a career).

And Jamie is correct.....FM racers have the most fun...and where are You Coop and Franklin?, we miss you!

Darryl

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

i still kept my FM seat . im down for some of the big events next year. the indycar race sounded awesome. i would love to work with the formula challenge series in some way and at least help out. im gonna make a run at the runoffs next year in Spec Racer Ford

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Congrats Darryl, to you , your family, crew, sponsors and supporters
    Last edited by marshall9; 09.29.10 at 5:46 PM. Reason: remove quote from preceding post

Epic! Congrats Darryl, No one deserves that moment more than you, sucks about the drama.

[FONT=Times New Roman]A huge congrats to Darryl Wills for bringing the crown to Texas! We’ve been privileged to have known and raced with Darryl for several years. He is an awesome racer and a great friend. He has always been the best ambassador for FM. He’s gotten many racers in Texas to convert to FM. He is willing to help anyone with setup or problems and he’s the first to congratulate anyone who might beat him. His positive, friendly, attitude is refreshing in this racing industry which sometimes becomes secretive and combative. Darryl Wills is well deserving of this title and we congratulate him and Hillenburg Racing for their efforts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Tim and Sandy Magrath[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Texas Autosports, Inc.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Formula Mazda Dealer since 1997[/FONT]
    Last edited by Tim M; 10.03.10 at 12:13 PM. Reason: weird symbols popped up

Contributing Member Rodney Jessen's Avatar

Default Just watched video on speed cast

I just finished watching the video on speed cast and if one didn't know better one would think Juan had a amazing race and is the 2010 champion.
    Congrats Darryl I look forward to racing with you in the future you drove a great race.

Rodney Jessen #39
    www.outtoday.com

Thread Information