Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Default My Runoffs Experience...

So I wanted to take a few minutes and write a summary of my 2010 Runoffs. I should first say that this will probably come off a bit harsh towards Goodyear. I would pre-address this by saying I've been a big Goodyear flag waver for the last 8 years. I was the last holdout running them on my vee (when EVERY competitor on the West Coast had switched over to Hoosier) and I set my RF97 up with them from the first time I ran it in 2007.

This year, I had decided to try my own version of the "small tire" theme, utilizing the Goodyear D2209 (a 7x21x13, 160 compound tire). Apparently a tall front tire for improved turn in for Swifts. Help from Ron Chisholm and the WinGeo Program made the car fast out of the box this year, and I was able to capture wins at three of the four nationals I contested, and run very competitive times at test days scattered throughout the early part of the season, and the summer months. The car was sensitive to changes, maybe overly so, but when it was good, it was really good.

Cut to September. I came to Elkhart hoping for the best. I will admit that while I was doubtful as if I would have anything for the Kautz's and Treadway's of the world, I thought a top five was an attainable goal. I tested on Wednesday and a little on Thursday, and while I struggled badly with rear grip, the car seemed to be slowly progressing in a forward manner.

I had brought a couple sets of tires with me from the coast, procured from Roger Kraus. I used these sets up on the test days, then scrubbed in a set on my last test session that would be reserved for the race Friday afternoon.

I left the track for the next few days, to spend some time with my dad in Southern Wisconsin. Arriving at the track early Monday morning to get my 1st set of qualifying tires mounted. (I had pre-ordered 3 pairs of standard fronts, and 3 pairs of 2209 rears) I was informed that while, yes, they had confirmed my order, and yes, they knew I needed the tires, they did not have any there at the track for me. I was a little freaked out, and I was forced to qualify on the tires I had hoped to race on that Friday. Competition Tire promised me they'd have my rears for me the next morning. Qualifying came and went and I was able to slot into the 10th fastest spot. I thought that was passable but not great, and knew I'd have to work much harder the following day.

My rears DID show up Tuesday morning, and so they were on the car for Q2 that afternoon. To say the car was loose was an understatement. I'm sure Mike Sauce, David Livingston, and the other group of guys I held up would all testify to my 97 bearing a striking resemblance to a World of Outlaws Sprinter, complete with flying dirt. I hope I did not cause you guys too much grief. I fell back to 15th quick. Following the session, I immediately went up to the Goodyear tent and asked about the condition of the tires I had been sold. They admitted as how they thought they were of similar vintage to the tires I had been running, but to bring the serial numbers off them, along with the numbers off a set I'd run previously for comparison.

SO, early Wednesday morning I was quite surprised to discover that, according to the Goodyear engineers, the rear tires I had been sold were, in fact, new. In 2007. Apparently GY only made these tires in three batches, 2007, 2008 and 2009. This was the absolute FIRST time any Goodyear employee anywhere, had told me anything of the sort. To describe my emotions as a mix of panic, regret, and fear is an understatement. Mike at Comp Tire offered me a bit of a safety net; they had a pair of 2009 vintage D2209's in their stock and could have them mounted up for me for final qualifying, no charge for the rubber as a peace offering. As we all know Q3 was a wash, and so I had "new" tires on the car for the race.

The race itself went ok, Mike Kolthoff and I tried in vain to work together to draft up to the titanic looking fight ahead for 5th through 9th, but weren't able to do it. I managed to salvage a 10th place. I guess all in all, this wasn't so bad on year plus old tires.

I wanted to put all this out there for two reasons: one because I felt like I have to air this grievance in the best public forum available to me, and two, if anyone is on the fence about which brand of tire to put on their car, perhaps this info might be of interest.

I know others had it harder than I during the Runoffs week. And I realize that I'm just a paying customer and I don't expect free tires or tons of free engineering data. I guess I'm just disappointed that throughout the whole of 2010, not one Goodyear employee, despite many phone calls and discussions at the track, had informed me of the defunct status of my tire choice, or that there might be a chance I might be at the Runoffs and end up with 3 year old tires. Had I known, even just a week earlier, I would certainly have changed my tire choice.

It was nice putting faces to names during the week though, as always, and congratulations to Tim Kautz. One hell of a driver and he certainly deserved this championship!
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Liked: 157

Ethan, thanks for sharing your story, everyone around the paddock was wondering why you were off the pace, we just attributed it to the lousy qualifying conditions.

After the June Sprints I toyed with the idea of trying to put narrow rears on our car. I pulled up Goodyear's online Tire Guide, looking for a tire that had a diameter bigger than the FF fronts and smaller than the FF rears that would work on a Swift, and like you I found the 2209 tire which looked perfect.

However, I noticed that the online Tire Guide was a 2009 Tire Guide, so I called Pat at Competition East and I asked him if there was a 2010 Tire Guide. He said no but asked what tire I was interested in. When I told him the 2209 he said that it was no longer in production, that it had been made as an alternative FC front but that almost no FC guys ran it so they discontinued it. Pat said there were still tires in the warehouse, but they would be at least a year old. Jim Little told me to forget that idea and that ended that for us as far as skinny rears went.

I have been very critical of the tire Goodyear brought out for 2010, but once they realized that the tire was not up to the job, they responded right away and changed the design back to what the FF guys wanted. The tires they brought to the Runoffs were not perfect, but they were miles better than the earlier tires, as you can see by the lap times from the race. However, this doesnt excuse bringing 2007 tires for you, they should have told you that if you didnt already know.

Liked: 99

Default My Runoffs Experience

Ethan- Sorry to hear of your issues.I tried that option with the 2209 in the rear and could not make my car get rear grip as well as with the 2571.The car also seemed always to be ready to snap oversteer.I did not test alot but could not afford the necessary test time to make them work.I have worked with Goodyear for 20 plus years and always found them responsive and eager to help.I am a local Goodyear dealer as well and I also sell Hoosier at SOWDIV races.It is typically my policy to try to help people with their tire selection.I did not know the 2209 was out of production.I am sure that your local dealer can get all info you need on tires.I get questions asked from time to time I cannot answer so I call Goodyear in Akron to get answers.I hope you will try and make the Runoffs next year and have better luck. Good job finishing 10th.Mike Sauce

Liked: 14

Unless they have made a new tire and badged it the same(doubtful) the 2209 was the front FC tire Chas and I developed with GY back in 04 to suit Chas' driving style with the VD fc. We liked a very quick turn in and I am not surprised it didnt work on the rear of a FF. If memory serves properly Dave W hated the thing and ran a different front tire then we did.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Thread Information