Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked: 14

Default No Foul Play in the Formula Mazda #1 at RunOffs

Hello

I feel to report to the community that every now and then, a driver or team and their reputation is put on the line and is tested, at times and sometimes the protestants have valid evidence.

I was presented a protest by 3 very kind tech officials 2 minutes after going over the scales after my second and last qualifying attempt. The "laundry list" protest made specific allegations of how my car was not compliant per class rules. The list was well thought out by the protester Dwauanda Andherzon and son Mikeala Andherzon, (they have their panties all bunched up since who knows how long).

The allegations included the following

A. Juan Marchand and the #1 FM have a device that is part of the oil breather tube, that goes into a catch can, this device pressurizes the crankcase and creating more power.
    - post tech inspection shows that there is no device and the oil breather tube and catch
    are compliant.
    (who would've thought that there is a device out there that attaches to the oil breather hose that gives the motor extra performance)

B. Juan Marchand and FM#1 does not have the compliant F15 Weber sidedraft emulsion jet specified for the class
    - post tech inpection shows that the pair of emulsion tube are indeed the F15 weber emulsion tubes in their natural form.
    (so weber makes a lot of emulsion tubes, sorry but the F15 is the one i like in my car all the time)

C Juan Marchand and FM#1 does not have a compliant flywheel, the weight is below the minimum 8.5 pounds. The pressure plate and clutch components are not compliant.
    -post tech inspection shows that the flywheel weighs 9 pounds and the other clutch components are compliant as well.

All this said the FM#1 car and driver have been accused for something that is not true, from what i understand I was the number one "cheater" in the class. I came into this sport watching a very young talented person who used to spank the field in FM, this man from Wisconsin used to work on his own car (i met him at the garage next to mine here at Gingerman at a national in 03), he then went to pilot LeMans spec on Mazda livery. I am a Mazda racer that pushes hard, takes the hits and will, will dish out.

Last night I attended the very special Mazda Drivers banquet, I was there with my head up. The allegations came and kept coming over the last few seasons. I hope this changes things a bit within the class where a winner is a cheater. At least I know my car was compliant and that I was driving as hard as possible, i put my life on the line. I wonder if its worth to push as hard as i did to be number one and not get any respect.

Right now I'm back at GingerMan waiting for the wind to die down some, so i can go do laps, dyno and set my car up for Sunday. The car was full of sandbags and problems during qualifying sessions. It is time to go to a different world. Kind regards

Juan Marchand

btw. what is it with this device, any comments, the device in the oil breather line? any ideas of what this device could be or look like. Maybe the two ladies mentioned above have some of their own cheat cheats. peace

I also want to take a chance to thank the SCCA for giving me a place to race, Mazda for all their involvement in amateur motorsports, Keith Averil (for fixing my chassis), Aerocraft Fiberglass design, Bald Spot Motorsports, Good Year Racing, GingerMan Raceway and all the fans and friends that show support over the last five years. thank you.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by JRMarchand View Post

btw. what is it with this device, any comments, the device in the oil breather line? any ideas of what this device could be or look like.
    There actually is such a device. It's called a pan-evac valve, and it uses exhaust gas scavenging to pull a slight crankcase vacuum (the opposite of "pressurizing" the crankcase).
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Matt

thanks i suppose that it was a valid claim of such device being in existence in the world of wankels, some other guys have been around since the old Russell days I am new to the class so i didnt need to know about these gadgets. Does someone have a picture of the device? who makes it and why arent all the cars equipped with them? Are they expensive? Are they one offs? Someone from the top will chip in, I am naive as hell when it comes to cheating.
    We all stood around the car wondering what the device looks like, the oil neck was removed also in order to look down, inside the oil breather passage on the 13B Mazda power plant.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default crankcase evacuation

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default "assisted" breather

banned in formula ford ages ago

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default I think all classes

I think it is banned for all classes but I didn't know about FM

Liked: 1877

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    banned in formula ford ages ago

Current cars just seal the valve cover and let the oil scavenge pump(s) create a negative pressure.

Liked: 18

Ok Juan,
    I see I need to clarify things here.

First of all I am not the one that protested you, the protest was filed by my team owner.

Secondly, the device in question was seen on your car at the June Sprints by several people so when suspicion is raised about a questionable device that may improve performance your competitors have every right to have it looked into.

Thirdly, you do not run F15 emulsion tubes because you like it, It is the Rule that you can only run an F15

Your UnProfessionalisim never ceases to amaze me, is your misspelling of my name an attempt at humor?? And your showing me the Middle Finger as you drove through the paddock in front of hundreds of people after impound.
    You wonder why everyone has a problem with you?? I have never had a positve experience during a race weekend you were at. #1 you jumped the start at the 09 Cat National before we even got on the front straight, #2 you nearly wrecked FM#10 and I in Q3 at the 09 RunOffs by intentionally slowing in front of us in the carousel, #3 your extreme blocking maneuvers at the June Sprints this year.

I am really sorry that things are like this, but you need to realize that you have raised a very high level of suspicion among your competitors, by starting in the back of many races and winning.
    if your car is totally legal then my hats off to you and congratulations, but on the other side of that when performance of that level is exhibited it needs to be looked into to make sure its legit

mike

OK?? nothing is quite ok, The Finger is how i can say hello to you dear, you seemed content with it. Congratulations to me? I dont get it, why would you congratulate me, you worry too much about what others are doing, i don't cease to amaze you? is there anything else you want to cry about. What about other people seeing a device in my car at the sprints? what people? you are still accusing me of something that did not happen, and then you blame it on pops running the protest, sorry, the team principal.
    And that i win from the back, you cant take it away, thanks for reminding of one of my best races, I have done that various times, keyword is I, the car is totally legal. Thanks for the bond money. congratulations to me? you are a soft one.

JRM

Liked: 18

Dude, what are you talking about. What do you mean nothing is quite ok?? Your car was found to be compliant so OK, but that was merely a way of starting my statement. I dont worry about anything, and I'm definitely not crying about anything.
    I am not blaming my dad. It was his decision to file the protest not mine PERIOD.

you have obviously missed the point that I made earlier, Yes your best race and in your best race it raised some suspicion and if you cant understand that then I am sorry.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JRMarchand View Post
    What about other people seeing a device in my car at the sprints? what people? you are still accusing me of something that did not happen
    JRM

Well little buddy, I hate to break it to you but I am one of those "people " that saw the device. I saw it with my own two eyes, and witnessed two others who I will not name. I approched tech at The June Sprints and I was rewarded with your car being covered by a tarp.

I have searched hard, I have scoured the internet for a reasoning as to why you would have such a device. Or what the benifits or drawbacks may be. and as to that subject I can only speculate.

But, I will say that regardless of the reasoning i can attest to the fact that it was NOT A LEGAL PART.

end of story.

instead of flying this think youre going to become more accustomed to seeing this >>>>>>>>

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

ok, i don't know the players in this little drama, and i've never been involved in this class but.....
    just from reading posts over the last several years it seems that the originator of this thread is always involved in "drama" of some kind.
    in this case, i just don't understand the purpose of this whole thread.
    a protest was was filed, you were found compliant, end of story. why crow about it by starting a thread?
    me thinks you doth protest too much. i think that those who feel the need to brag about being legal probably haven't been at some point.
    awww, i should just shut up and not get involved.

mark d
    Last edited by mark defer; 09.25.10 at 2:51 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Now Mark your record on finding cheaters is not that good. Makes the FC crowd look like one big,happy family.

and whats up with the Shakespeare?
    Last edited by jim morgan; 09.25.10 at 12:44 PM. Reason: doth?

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

Default Holy crap

JR MARCHAND, U ARE A STUD. THAT WAS ONE HELL OF A RACE. FROM WHAT I SAW JUAN WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO HAVING THE BEST MOTOR. JUAN OUT RESTARTED, OUT BROKE, AND OUTDROVE EVRERONE. CONGRATS MAN U DESERVE IT.
    VINKMULDER IS DANGEROUS

fRANKLIN

Liked: 553

That was entertaining. What happened to Doug Peterson, dropping out of the lead on the last lap?

No idea. Ill let u know what i hear. That was very entertaining.

Jr failed tech. Wills is 2010 national champ. Great guy, great race

Liked: 91

Wait, so the guy that started this thread bragging about not cheating crossed the finish line first only to get DQ'ed in Tech?

Seriously?

For real?

I'm just gonna sit back and let this unfold. It should be a good show.

Haha indeed

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Really?

"Following the post-race technical inspection, it was found that Marchand’s car did not have a compliant RPM limiter."
    Last edited by RussMcB; 06.23.23 at 11:22 AM.

Yeah no rev limter is what im hearing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

I guess you guys have more to discuss
    I know we have had some real pissing matches in FC over the years but I can't recall this level of personal disdain among any of our competitors.
    Last edited by jim morgan; 09.26.10 at 9:59 PM. Reason: add

JR dq'd? Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Maybe the whining will stop now. Nah, probably not. World class whiners rarely change their tune.

Liked: 1

Last edited by Rick Ross; 09.26.10 at 11:48 PM.

And the tread was started because he isn't a cheater. LOL

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

"non-compliant" can be anything from outright cheating to just plain broke. I've seen plenty of guys DQ'd for being underweight after losing bodywork. It would be possible to protest an FC that had the nose torn off, because wings are a requirement for the class. Good thing Niki's bottom element stayed on!

Must be some personal beef. The only time the Anza boys post is around the runoffs and in conjunction with a JR post.

Liked: 1

Default GCR section for DQ

This is the GCR section he was DQ-ed under (9.1.1.F.5.D):

"[FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]The use of the MSD (P/N 6446 only) 6T spark box, MSD Soft[/FONT][FONT=Univers]Touch limiter, or MSD (P/N 6420 - 6AL) is mandatory. Location [/FONT][FONT=Univers]of the spark box and limiter is unrestricted, provided that access [/FONT][FONT=Univers]to visually inspect and remove the limiter chip is not impeded. A [/FONT][FONT=Univers]6600 rpm limiter chip is standard. A maximum rpm of 6850rpm is [/FONT][FONT=Univers]allowed. Competitors may use adjustable rev chip (Moses Smith [/FONT][FONT=Univers]Racing part # 080-135). Competitors are advised that MSD chip [/FONT][FONT=Univers]function may vary with temperature, and should take measures to [/FONT][FONT=Univers]ensure compliance at all times."[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers][/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]I was interested in the part where it says that the required chip's function is temperature-sensitive.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers][/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]It will be interesting to read the COA record, if there was one.[/FONT][/FONT]

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 904

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain View Post
    This is the GCR section he was DQ-ed under (9.1.1.F.5.D):

"[FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]The use of the MSD (P/N 6446 only) 6T spark box, MSD Soft[/FONT][FONT=Univers]Touch limiter, or MSD (P/N 6420 - 6AL) is mandatory. Location [/FONT][FONT=Univers]of the spark box and limiter is unrestricted, provided that access [/FONT][FONT=Univers]to visually inspect and remove the limiter chip is not impeded. A [/FONT][FONT=Univers]6600 rpm limiter chip is standard. A maximum rpm of 6850rpm is [/FONT][FONT=Univers]allowed. Competitors may use adjustable rev chip (Moses Smith [/FONT][FONT=Univers]Racing part # 080-135). Competitors are advised that MSD chip [/FONT][FONT=Univers]function may vary with temperature, and should take measures to [/FONT][FONT=Univers]ensure compliance at all times."[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]I was interested in the part where it says that the required chip's function is temperature-sensitive.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]It will be interesting to read the COA record, if there was one.[/FONT][/FONT]

Paul's reference is correct: a non-compliant rev limiter. Mr. Marchand was DQ'ed by the SOM. He chose not to appeal to the COA.

I cannot speak to any personal conflict among the drivers. I can assure folks that the scrutineers treated Mr. Marchand, and all who came through Tech, absolutely correctly and professionally.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

spent 2 years at the top level of club FM. 6850 is allowed. Chip is very heat sensitive. It will rise close to 50 RPM with heat. Getting caught out by that is rookie stuff. The tool to test it isn't expensive and I always set ours as soon as we came off the track after a session then rechecked it once cold for a baseline. Leaving a margin of error of course.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

exactly kevin. i set mine at 6750 to be safe. i was always told not to trust the "pre-programmed" chips and was told to use the programmable 1

Well according to the tech guys, Juan had it checked by tech prior to the race, to find out that there was NO LIMIT! According to the tech official that tested it, Juan said something like "Screw it, I'm racing anyway", and raced without a rev limiter (not 50 rpm off, NO limiter)

Sorry Juan, I like you as a friend, but racing when you KNEW you were not compliant, taking the checker, standing on the podium, etc... Again, when you KNEW you were not compliant, on something they check even at Regionals, is just wrong. You cheated the real 1,2,3 place finishers out of their rightful podium celebrations.

If you hadn't known before the race, and were a few RPM off, I would have been one to give you my sympathies, and I would have helped you load the car. But, you knowingly cheated on something you knew you would get caught on. Just wrong.

So, Juan, lets hear the rest of the story......

Liked: 391

My understanding is that the rotary engines don't have a typical horsepower curve that drops off after a certain RPM. Meaning that by being able to run the motor a few hundred RPM higher, there is a definite HP advantage. Can anyone confirm this?

They make power to about 9500 or more. U should really haul a with no limiter. Especially if u gear it for such.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

All controversy aside, that was a *very* exciting race and has made me think about going FM when the road racing bug strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Green View Post
    Well according to the tech guys, Juan had it checked by tech prior to the race, to find out that there was NO LIMIT! According to the tech official that tested it, Juan said something like "Screw it, I'm racing anyway", and raced without a rev limiter (not 50 rpm off, NO limiter)

Sorry Juan, I like you as a friend, but racing when you KNEW you were not compliant, taking the checker, standing on the podium, etc... Again, when you KNEW you were not compliant, on something they check even at Regionals, is just wrong. You cheated the real 1,2,3 place finishers out of their rightful podium celebrations.

If you hadn't known before the race, and were a few RPM off, I would have been one to give you my sympathies, and I would have helped you load the car. But, you knowingly cheated on something you knew you would get caught on. Just wrong.

So, Juan, lets hear the rest of the story......
    Wow. Knowingly, flagrantly, out in the open cheating?

This is too bizarre, considering how this thread got started.

We need to hear Juan's side of the story. There has to be an explanation. Or collaboration that the "screw it" tact was taken (but hard to believe someone would do that at the national championship race).

Don't know any of the individuals here, but it that was true, wouldnt the tech guys have him black flagged? Or perhaps a stiffer penalty with a suspension?
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    Don't know any of the individuals here, but it that was true, wouldnt the tech guys have him black flagged? Or perhaps a stiffer penalty with a suspension?
    They aren't going to BF anyone based on a "possible" technical infraction. What if he was able to fix the problem just before going out? Then getting BF for having a compliant car?

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information