Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Runoffs

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by M.Sauce View Post
    Reid- If what you say happened is what happened, ( I still have not seen any video)I apologize.It ruined my race and yours.Sorry Mike Sauce
    Mike showing class as always....respects to you.

Thanks to all the competitors for a great show, it was great to watch !

Liked: 16

Default Team Effort!

Thanks for all the comments, but I can not begin to take all the credit. After last years runoffs, I was down and out to say the least. Paul would usually have slapped me out of it much sooner, unfortunately he was in a similar disposition. Enter John Taylor! The day after the August National at Blackhawk, John called and said, if there is a problem with the motor, (the excuse I used all year) then we need to get it out and fixed. John drove to my shop the next day, helped Paul and I pull the engine, then drove it to Elite. John also took the trans axle, and brakes and gave them the TDI work over. Johns enthusiastic push was contagious. John drove the 5 hours (round trip) to pick up the motor and bring it to the shop (Friday before the event).

After a few tweaks on the Chassis dyno, the motor was good. Thanks to Steve Knapp.

A big thank you to the following:
    *Glenn & Wendy Moore - Braeburn Systems - team sponsor.
    *Paul DesCoteaux - crew chief & party director.
    *John & Jackie Taylor - Two Dogg Inc - Formula parts & pieces.
    *Steve Knapp - Elite Engines.
    *Bruce Foss - Hoosier Tires - tires could run another race!
    *Don Sievenpiper - "the Sunday morning set up"
    *Nick Fuhs - Suspension fabrication and first class track support!
    *Doug Learned - Fast Forward - Race cars and components.
    *Gib Gibson - Support and coaching.

A big time team effort

Thanks,
    Tim FF88

Liked: 22

A big congrats to you and your "support team", Tim, on a fantastic job and an excellent, heads-up drive. Your fellow Piper owners/drivers are very proud of you!

Look forward to meeting you an event or two next year.

DaveZ

Liked: 124

Congrats Tim on your great effort! John let me sit in your car at the August national at Blackhawk, perhaps that was what put you ahead. The Eagle is like a lounge sofa compared to the Piper...

Here are my photos from the weekend. Congrats to everyone who made it to the event, and best wishes going into 2011:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3139058...7624921309845/

Respectfully Yours,

Jacques N. Dresang
    UMW
    Jacques N. Dresang
    Kettle Moraine Preservation & Restoration
    1977 All American Racers Eagle DGF #005
    1972 Elden Mk10B AM73-49 - #140/1

Liked: 11

Default Video

It's taking a while to get the full race video online, but here's a teaser. Some video of JT bump drafting me down the front straight. The rear view video came out awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kbj3H2WO1E

We should hopefully have the full race video uploaded either tonight or tomorrow.

-Bill Valet
    NeDiv Swift DB-6 #83

Liked: 157

Tim and Paul, let me add my congratulations to everyone else's. You guys worked hard to earn this win and definitely deserve it. I would say have fun celebrating the victory but after the way you and Scotty looked the next morning you obviously have already done that. Still want to know how Scott wound up with that big raspberry on his forehead though.

Reid and Bruce, after the initial disappointment wears off I hope you will realize what an accomplishment this Runoffs was for you guys, even though it didnt turn out the way you hoped. There's plenty more races in the future, keep your heads high, Pole at the Runoffs is itself a huge deal, nobody can take that away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hazelton View Post
    Dennis, When I talked with Bill, I thought he said you weren't a professional photographer. If not your pictures are as good as any I've seen. The above flip is a great example. Also clear as hell! You also get great action shots not just the side of a single car like many pro's do. Keep up the good work and post all you want. Nobody will tire of looking at what you do. Great job Bill hanging with the top 3! Even saw you in 2nd at 8 at one point. Bruce
    Bruce, everyone around here on Apex knows Dennis as the photographer, but he is also a pretty good driver too. He's just too big to fit in our Swift, sucks for him! But I did get him into the Pro-IT series here in the NE this summer. He only did 4 of the 6 series races, but he still finished 2d overall out of 120 or so drivers. And this was in a rental car with only two prior car races under his belt ever. Oh, and he made money on this deal, they paid him almost #2,000 prize money. Sorry for the thread hi-jack, just thought everyone would like to know that Bill is actually only the 2d fastest Valet around.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

i wonder if JT's swift comes with a freshly painted nose or as is

Default Race Video

Here's the race video my pops put together. The wind really pushed us around out there. A couple times in between the kink and canada it almost turned the car around! Turn 7 was also pretty hairy with the gusts, and I made a mistake on the 2nd to last lap there which cost me a shot at Scott in the closing stages. Hope you enjoy the video!

http://vimeo.com/15324388

-Bill Valet
    NeDiv Swift DB-6 #83

Liked: 42

Congratulations Tim and Paul !!!!

Well deserved win !

Make that two in a row for CEN-DIV FF Drivers ! !
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Quote Originally Posted by Joefisherff View Post
    Marc Blanc was making quite a charge and then disappeared what happened there?
    It all started in Q1, my first flying lap was just OK, then on my 2nd timed lap, with Tim as a Drafting partner, it was going really great until we found somebody trying to figure out if T14 went left or right. Next lap and session busted: black flag all for the Albani incident.

I was off my game in Q2, and couldn't improve, so I desperately needed Q3. Rain was NOT what we needed. After a week of qualifying, I'm gridded based on my first flying lap of the week. P11.

At the start, I had a car that didn't want to go, (must've been common for all the WI guys in the right lane) But, turns out I was pretty happy to have moved backwards when the carnage broke out at T5.

Couple corners after the restart, it runs great (No idea, piece of s--- in the carb?) and I put my head down to get back to where I was, pretty happy when I got up to Cliff and Art, and then got by-good for P5! I thought I could get away for a bit, but there's always that pesky draft. We started dicing.

After a bunch of laps of that, leading into Canada corner, I couldn't get my downshifts, turned in, still blipping and stirring, finally at the apex, got whacked hard in the rear by one of the red cars behind me(Wasn't really sure at the time if it was Cliff or Foster-turned out to be Cliff: sorry-dude!) found my gear, and still don't know why I was still leading us 3 or 4 cars at 13 which went fine, but got to T14, car was all goofy under brakes. Let them by, and same deal at T1, so I exited at T5 and back to paddock. Cliff is a pretty good aim, got me 1/2 in the gearbox, and 1/2 in the pushrod, which was bent. Lots of red paint everywhere. Entirely my fault, and glad he was able to continue. Did you know red paint turns white Hoosier letters Pink?
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Great video. Thanks, Tom and Bill.

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default Runoffs video

Thanks for posting the video. If you couldn't be on track, man, that's the next best thing! Really enjoyed it.---Jim

Liked: 1

Thanks to Dan Helman for letting me drive his Crossle 25 (#92) 4 half races and then the Runoffs. I had to go off at 5 to keep from hitting several cars and then jumped the new curb coming back on and popped the bead on the right rear. It only had 8 psi at the finish. Good thing this track is all left hand turns. 5, 6, 8 and 13 were pretty scary with no air in the rear tire. My goal was not to be lapped, but that didn't happen.

Had a great time at the party, nice to meet everyone. Hope the ribs I brought made up for any on course drama that I might have caused. Tried very hard to get the hell out of the way as I limped around.

James Rogerson
    HP #66 (did a little better there)
    FF #92

Liked: 17

Great video, Bill! Love the bump draft. Clean nose....scratched nose!

Heck of a diff whine in the rear shots, too.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 0

Congratulations to Tim and Paul on a well-deserved victory. Also to the other podium and top finishers. And to Reid for pole and a great week until . . . 'nuff said.

Now for the reflections of a backmarker . . .

This was my first runoffs. I was somewhat overwhelmed just with being there. I counted I think 20 cars that were regularly running faster laps than my fastest ever at RA. Sheesh.

One runoffs feature I had heard about is the lack of track time . . . but . . . well, I really failed to grasp what I had heard. In our case, we showed up Friday for three days of testing, to sort out that evil push I pick up at RA, we were full of theories, hope, and joy. Sadly, 3 of our sessions got rained out, and I got just far enough with changes to confuse myself (another runoff experience I had heard tell of). If you add up my test day time before race week and my race week time, including the race, I got as much track time for my 40 million dollars and week's vacation from work as I do during a typical regional test day.

Which--lack of time and incomplete testing--led to a lurid Q1 on different front tires from those I usually run . . . stuck behind a car that zigged where I did, and also zagged when I wanted to. Especially unnerving was the point-by the driver gave exiting the kink only to cut off the yellow Vestal as he tried to act on the gesture. When I finally got clear . . . the session was cut short and not re-started.

In Q2 I went back to my normal fronts (I want to thank Hoosier for all their input, advice, and time spent with us this summer and during the runoffs) and went back to my normal times. On the lap that looked to be fastest, and pretty close to my fastest lap at RA, I passed a car in Canada Corner, only to get Vetteled when the car I was passing locked rears and somehow tagged me at 90 degrees. The driver (who shall remain nameless) is an extremely courteous individual who apologized but hadn't needed to. One of those things, both of us trying to go as deep as possible. But with one lap left in Q2 . . . well to say I was displeased with my performance is to put it mildly.

Q3 is best forgotten. I had an 8 minute lap, held for the red flag at turn 8 and, scrubbing since we hadn't scrubbed as planned during the test days, decided with the wet track to pack it in after that.

So now it is race time, and I've never run on stickered tires in a race. With the double yellow, 300 mph wind, and a dose of incompetence, the tires were really not grippy at all for the second green and for 2 laps I slid around a bit and had trouble slowing the car in places like 5 and 12 where slowing down doesn't matter . As the tires warmed up, I found myself in a pack of 5 cars battling as hard for the coveted 13th spot as . . . ok, not as hard as the front runners, but we had a really great time and fought hard. At least I had a really great time, but, since I don't know any of the other drivers, I shouldn't try speaking for them, should I?

I found out during all this how much I suck at drafting, but I managed to hang with the group because the good drafters were fighting each other in corners. Also I think that the head refresh Farley did had a bit to do with that. Lots of passing and being passed.

For the last 2 laps I settled into 17th, keeping in touch with the other 4 cars. I almost passed the car in front of me 3 times . . . but couldn't bring it off (in two places, the grass got in the way). I could smell 16th, and it smelled like brakes but oh so sweet. Traffic separated the 5 of us a bit on the last lap (I caught a lapped car right at the apex of 7) so I got a better run through the kink than with the pack of us together. At Canada Corner, the black Piper passed the Vestal and I followed him through, keeping on him through 14, where I turned in 2 feet from the outside curb () but still got through the corner ok and had a decent exit, (sort of) drafted the Piper up the hill and pulled out to grab 15th by 14/1000 of a second, which I sure as hell didn't know until later.

Running with 5 cars for most of the race was awesome. And it made up for the lack of track time (18 minute qualy sessions?!?!?!), struggles in qualifying, and a very long week.

This winter I plan to go to drafting school. And next year I have my sights set on . . . 14th! Watch out, here I come.

In all seriousness, there were many, many wicked good drivers out there, and the race was a blast. And I am here to testify that there were good battles throughout the field!

Allen Wheatcroft
    #9 VD
    Last edited by Allen_W; 09.28.10 at 5:10 PM.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I saw this picture on the Spec Miata forum, I guess they forgot to show that sign for the FF race!

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    I saw this picture on the Spec Miata forum,
    I mean no disrespect (THANK YOU WORKERS), but was she at Woodstock?
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Default video T5 carnage

Here's my onboard, lap one.

http://vimeo.com/15380798
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by mblanc View Post

On another note: I guess Pipers are built like tanks. I looked at Cliff's car after and there was not a scratch on it.

Liked: 99

Default FF Runoffs

Reid - Now I have seen a video. Again I apologize I should have braked earlier.I locked the rears up and thats my fault.Sorry. Mike Sauce

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default FF Honda Video Runoffs 2010

Here's the You Tube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i3QGGKQUyM

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Great Video

Thanks for posting Mike!

Great video guys! Thanks again to Dan Helman for letting me drive the #92 car. Really had a good time driving the Crossle. Just way different from my HP Honda, but fun none the less.

James Rogerson
    HP #66 and FF #92 (until Dan kicks me out)

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Valet View Post
    Here's the race video my pops put together.

http://vimeo.com/15324388

-Bill Valet
    Bill and Tom thanks for posting that was just fabulous. Terrific drive Bill, the epitome of what racing's all about.

The video of the T5 melee is frightening. Sorry, but this wasn't a case of simply braking late and locking up. The black car tried to go between 2 cars in front - you can see him cut that way - a move which had exactly zero chance of working out. The VD gets run off the corner, and the Piper is lucky not to join.

I have to say that after I effed up with TTO in the same corner in qualifying for the 40th, the driver of that black car told me, when I tried apologizing, that I had made a "rookie mistake."

I don't know what to call that divebomb in the runoffs. But it wasn't going to work and it sure doesn't look simply braking too late and locking rears. It looks like the logical result of a bad decision.

Sorry but this is my opinion. We have to control ourselves out there, especially at the start of a race. The lead 10 cars can't squeeze through the third corner together.

Liked: 99

Default Runoffs 2010

If you freeze frame the video you will notice Reid moved over at the time I moved left.I was not trying to pass anyone there,.It was my mistake I was on the brakes while I was turning to keep from hitting Reid.My rears locked up because the weight transferred while turning.We also found a broken left rear rotor.I don't know if the crash broke it or not.I do accept that I made the mistake of going in too deep.Sorry to all that were malaffected.

Liked: 1432

If you freeze the video and look at it, I turned in, yes, after you smoked the rears. The track dictates you turn left there. I turned in well past a point of normal turn in as I knew Cliff was inside. At that point, you were still behind both of us.

Where was I suppose to go, towards the tire barriers? I was already nearly out of track when I turned in. I am just glad I saw the shinny side of your belly pan in my periphery and went abruptly to the right. I'd hate to think what would have happened if I continued the corner.

Let's look at is this way. Say Cliff was not there. I was where I was, and Mike was just behind me to my left, maybe 3' of his nose past the end of my tailpipe where he was. Who's line is it?

Maybe I am over reacting, but it seems the finger is being pointed at me. And no, not that finger.

RH

In all fairness I don't believe Mike was placing any blame on anyone but himself. He has admitted he made a mistake in where he applied the brakes and was simply giving a reason for why he locked the rears. He applied the brakes late to the point that others were already turning in for the corner. Nowhere to go but left and the rears locked. I applaud Mike for being a stand up guy. It takes classy guy to admit when he's made a mistake.

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances for all parties involved, but it could be much worse if everyone was hot headed and just blamed everyone else. Heck, I almost made the same mistake going into turn 3 first lap. All that smoke you see in the videos? Thats me locking up all 4.

-Bill Valet
    NeDiv Swift DB-6 #83

Liked: 78

Honestly I know it was a mistake. Not because he's my Dad, but because why would any driver try to take himself out along with anyone else?

Look at it as a racing incident. Things happen. There's always next season for everyone to grow as a driver and a competitor.

I know it's frustrating, I've been there. But must we let it ruin the rest of our year?

I think not.

This wasn't the last Runoffs.. So try again next year.

Sorry it didn't work out for certain people, but in racing we all take that chance.

On a different note.

I'm glad I got to be there with everyone this year. It was my first time being there and it was amazing. I met a lot of great people and raced hard a with a few of them. M.Sauce (Dad) thanks for the opportunity. I'm sorry it didn't work too well for you, but I know you're a good driver and that it was a mistake. You're the best Dad.

And to everyone I met thanks for being such great competitors and for welcoming me into the class

Meg Sauce

Swift DB-6 # 10

Default T5

Hey Megan, (and you other four drivers also)

T5 goes the other way !

Glad you got a finish.
    Last edited by mblanc; 10.02.10 at 12:09 PM. Reason: theres 5 cars in that pic, not four
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Haha, I feel bad laughing at that picture, but it is pretty funny.

Liked: 309

Me too.

/goin straight to hell
    ///isle seat, please
    ///I'll take the Kosher plate
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 78

Hahah! Thanks Marc! Great pic, well sorta

What happened to you? Saw a DNF on the results?

Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Default Great Vids.....

Another thanks to you guys for posting the videos. Just finally found time to watch them. Great drive Bill, and congrats to Tim as well.

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default about the picture

I don't recall seeing this on speedcast. Anybody know what happened?--Jim

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    I don't recall seeing this on speedcast. Anybody know what happened?--Jim
    The initial dynamics can be seen here at about the 1 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i3QGGKQUyM

Read back on some of this thread for more details.

Liked: 20

Default Speed Cast TV rocks!!

In a span of just 9 days Speed Cast has put up not only the FF race but also 6 others! Compare this to waiting 3 months for Go Racing to broadcast their coverage of the June Sprints. Sorry did I say coverage? What coverage? I understand Honda sponsored the video but come on, it was nothing but one long commercial, including the in depth Honda driver interview. Not one second of race footage is not race reporting. The only thing from being a total waste of video tape, from my perspective, was seeing Reid's post race interview. The young Speed Cast crew deserves a standing ovation. Keep up the great work. Bruce

How cool is it to watch the Petit Le Mans race yesterday with Dorsey Schroeder commenting -- and then watch the FF runoffs race this morning with the same commentator. Given that the announcer team were clearly working off the video feed which viewers saw, and that some of the issues in our class are a bit obscure, I thought the Speedcast broadcast was pretty good. They certainly got the big stories--Tim's brilliant run, the battles for 3rd and 5th--right.

After watching, I want to say congratulations once more to Tim, the podium finishers, and all the top ten: those of us following you around know how good you are--and the Speedcast broadcast showed viewers as well. Great racing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hazelton View Post
    In a span of just 9 days Speed Cast has put up not only the FF race but also 6 others! Compare this to waiting 3 months for Go Racing to broadcast their coverage of the June Sprints. Sorry did I say coverage? What coverage? I understand Honda sponsored the video but come on, it was nothing but one long commercial, including the in depth Honda driver interview. Not one second of race footage is not race reporting. The only thing from being a total waste of video tape, from my perspective, was seeing Reid's post race interview. The young Speed Cast crew deserves a standing ovation. Keep up the great work. Bruce

I had to go through there "counter race". ;-)

James

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Valet View Post
    It's taking a while to get the full race video online, but here's a teaser. Some video of JT bump drafting me down the front straight. The rear view video came out awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kbj3H2WO1E

We should hopefully have the full race video uploaded either tonight or tomorrow.

-Bill Valet

That was like footage of an F-16 mid-air refuel from the back of a tanker!!!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information