Liked: 0

Default how much does it cost to race in FV?

hi everyone. i am curious if anyone can help me. i'm always considering my options and right now i'm in a fairly pricey category. i'd like to race more frequently, with maybe less maintenance, and less cost. is FV a reasonable alternative? i have considered it before, and i'm thinking about it again. i guess some of my questions are, is FV expensive as far as maintenance and motor/tranny rebuilds? how often are rebuilds recommended for a regional competitor? how much do they run? how about national competitions? how ofter do you go through tires? brakes? anyway, any info would be helpfull.
    thanks...
    mike

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

A typical Vee engine rebuild from a major builder runs $1200-1500 for parts and labor assuming you don't need to replace any major parts. Most recommend a refresh once a season or about every 20 hours.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 72

I consider FV the least expensive class in SCCA. While other classes may have certain savings, issues like damage repair can be very expensive. For me, I do all my own work and entry fees are my largest expense. Travel is next. Tires can last up to 10 heat cycles but front runners seldom run races with more than 3 or 4 cycles. Trannies will last forever if shifted half decently. Front brake shoes will need replacing about every 6 or 7 weekends and the rears will last a couple of seasons. Serious national guys who pay others for engines and stuff will spend about $1500 per weekend.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 50

Don't know what you have run into so far (pun intended), but crash damage is a big hitter. If you litterally destroy the front end of a Vee your glass and metal parts might cost a total of $500. Try that in a FC or even FF.

If you want to run regionals only and don't want the run-offs, FST is even less expensive maintenance wise. Rebuilds the same price but not typically as often and a 6 race tire budget is about 1/2 to 1/3 of a Vee. Brakes are ~$10 and you must replace them about every 3 years and adjust them every 25 years or so . Most all of the Vw parts are a bit less expensive, since they can be bought from dozens of dealers and are still in production.

However, you are in a part of the country where it (FST) hasn't caught on much so you might be racing in a class of 1.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 120

Come race FV in the NER, they are pretty active and pretty cost effective as well.
    To see what is for sale locally and for general FV info, contact Steve Pastore in Danbury at http://www.veesportracing.com/

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    However, you are in a part of the country where it (FST) hasn't caught on much so you might be racing in a class of 1.
    That's what keeping me out (for now).
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    Jim,

This was a true statement, but there are currently (2) FST's in Connecticut (BRD & Evolution kit) and (1) Caracal C clone in Rochester, NY. I would expect to start seeing more FST's in NEDIV for 2011. Once the first pair arrive, they start to multiply quickly
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Jim,

Once the first pair arrive, they start to multiply quickly
    We had ours neuterd. And, I suspect there are others building/converting out of sight. If the guys in that area are smart they will ty to hook up and do the same races. Achieving some clout with registrars and some good wheel to wheel action.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Default thanks for all the responses

i have not been considering f500 or f first because, in new england, there is no competition. there was one f500 this past weekend at nhms, and no firsts... fv turnout was very good.

Liked: 29

Default cost in FV

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    A typical Vee engine rebuild from a major builder runs $1200-1500 for parts and labor assuming you don't need to replace any major parts. Most recommend a refresh once a season or about every 20 hours.

When you say a "refresh" once a season, what do you mean?

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

I expect he means the process of rebuilding a good engine .... not one that needs major updates or is blowed up. That would be my interpretation and also my observation.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

When he says refresh he is referring to the "re-build" of the engine. It typically includes, teardown, clean-up, seals, bearings, valve lap, rings and dyno test.

EDITED: As Greg says, this assumes a normal refresh on a race prepped engine. Any significant damage would push the price higher.
    Last edited by sracing; 10.29.10 at 9:36 AM.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Default FV best racin around

FV is probably the best open wheel racing on the planet, low in the cost department and high in the fun department, and probably the best group of folks running those cars , it's really about the racing for most of em , hard to believe I know, and this coming from a 25 yr vet of FC racing

Thread Information