Liked: 0

Default Elan DP-04B progress.

Finally a spare weekend to some some work on my car. The 06 to 09 GSXR swap has definately been more work than I expected and coupled with a crazy busy year at work progress has been slow to say the least. Anyway it's all coming back together complete with RFR dry sump (many thanks to Nicholas Belling), new side pod uppers and lowers, new diffuser, new carbon rear impact structure (not in pic) and various other bits and bobs. Because the 09 motor is so different I had to design and make new front and rear engine mounts (thanks to Gary Hickman who had to put up with my constant revisions!) as well as a new exhaust (an RFR part - a nice piece but for ayone building up a car please please go for a right hand exit!) which has caused some issues. On my car the left hand side has the brake line, water pipes, wiring loom and gear shift cable all of which need to be moved. Add to that a modification to the Suzuki water pump housing and replacing the stock rubber water hose that runs from the pump to the top of the block with an aluminum part makes with wish I could turn back the clock and do a left exit! Oh well.

The diffuser is new and I've tried to make the best of a rear end not really designed to acomodate a diffuser. It's in three pieces with the two outer tunnels as individual parts, and the center section is just an extension to the back of the tube frame floor which itself becomes the center setion tunnel roof if that makes sense! It's pre-preg glass and nomex core. I've also made a new bit of bodywork that shrouds the drive shaft area just to clean it up a bit.

I need to do an airbox which is this weekends project. As per the RFR I'll probably use the stock Suzuki part connected to the roll hoop intake with another custom part.

Up front is the new nose which I've had on the car for a while now but not on track. Front and rear roll bars are now both cockpit adjustable blades. Side pod uppers are new but essentially stock Van Diemen parts narrowed by a full three inches per side. Lowers are all new. I'll use the same radiators which will now sit at a slight angle rather than at 90 degrees. In the photo they are just resting in there hence the funny angle!

I think that's about it! When will I get it out on track? Who knows! Hopefully things will settle down at work as we head into the off season so maybe as an FS at the ARRC?

Ben

P.S. Sorry about the dreadfull photo's!
    Last edited by Brands; 12.02.12 at 9:20 PM.

Fantastic!! Great work.
    Ken

Liked: 11

looks great
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 84

everything looks great, we need to talk about getting my DP04 setup.

Liked: 6

Hey Ben,

Any discount if JP and I make a group (of two) purchase of those beautiful pieces?

Tom

I'm sure we can work out a bulk discount! I'm off to the UK for week or so this coming weekend but maybe when I'm back we'll work something out between the three of us DP04 pioneers!

Liked: 273

Default Wow

This has got to be one of the nicest looking FB's out there. Wish I was about 2k miles closer to Ben...sure could use his composite skills. I know Ben must be itching to drive again; this has been a big project to say the least.

Hope to see this car run soon

GH
    FB #76

A few more pics of my car. Pretty much race ready now with just a few minor bits and bobs to do. Engine cover is of the 'low line' type with two snorkels either side of the now exposed roll hoop. Not on the car as they are being painted.

Liked: 273

Default Double Wow

Ben
    This is some real nice eye candy.

Did you change the color? Pics from the garage color looks different....

I sure hope you have burned out working on it....time to go get some seat time as you deserve it.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 126

Nice work Ben. The double scoops is what I had in mind too. Your car also has the same number as mine.

Liked: 553

Looks great. Do you know when you might drive it next?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 43

Great looking work. I wish I had some of your your talent.

Liked: 84

Ben is a great guy, awesome fabricator and one of the few people that can legitimately say he's at the minimum weight. Great job, and thanks for all your help!

Thanks! I should be on track very soon, work permitting. Gary - the car is the same colour - it just looks better in natural light I think. JP - The weight of my car was dry, so I'll need to add oil/fuel weight. I still expect to be hovering around the 1000lbs mark at the end of a race though. At work we are developing a new front wing which will be on the car at some point and available for sale, along with some other universal fit parts - details to follow once they've been tested.
    Last edited by Brands; 09.21.12 at 12:13 PM.

Added a few pics of the engine cover with intake tubes in place. There's scope to move them in and out if I feel there's not enough airflow getting to them I can see some wool tuft testing in the near future!

Liked: 7

Default How'd I miss these pic's?

Hey Ben,

I like the low engine cover too.
    Are you rolling on 8's and 10's?

Are you planning on the July 16 Road Atlanta - double regional? Pete Frost 2010 Phoenix looks pretty lonely...

Track'll probably be a 'balmy' 95F, 60% RH, and a chance for storms?
    Perfect road racing weather!

Rick Kean
    Houston, TX

Liked: 59

Great looking work Ben! Car looks awesome.

F1000champ

Great looking car! Can't wait to see it out on track.

We're planning on having the Series' promotional car at Atlanta.

Thanks for the comments - now I've got to find time to get it out on track. I was wanting to do the Road Atlanta race that's coming up but with ALMS commitments at Lime Rock, Mosport and a brief trip back home to the UK i just don't have time. Barber in September clashes as well

I have both 6/8 and 8/10 wheels.

Took a big risk pushing the car out into the fresh air. I think a bit of dirt landed on it so I quickly wheeled back into the garage and safety.

Liked: 17

There are a lot of neat looking Formula B's out there but this one is just wicked.

Tim Bland
    84 Anson SA4

ASRF1000

Excellent looking car. Would like to see it in the F1K Series next year!

F1000champ

The car looks fantastic. Really nice job!!!

It's hard to tell by the photos, but you may want to take a good look at the front/side area of the sidepods. Be careful that the radius of the lower surface is not more that 25mm from your reference plane. If it is, you'll have to bring your undertray (splitter) out more, as anything seen from underneath the car looking up (90 degrees from the reference plane) is considered the lower surface of the car. The lower surface of the car between the front of the rear tire to the back of the front tire, cannot be more than 25mm above the reference plane. Shadow box rule. Mirrors and suspension are excluded from this rule. Just FYI.

Liked: 757

Thanks Jon. Yes you are correct and I am aware of the lower sidepod radius. I do have an extension (not in the pic) that legalizes it.

SE Composites new development front wing package. The front wing pillars are from the old wing and not actually supporting the new assembly in this photo. The wing will be bolted up from underneath into new pillars. The flap is currently in 'Trim 1' - maximum front balance and will be trimmed during testing. I'd imagine as it is it will be over balanced so we will play around with various trims to the overall chord length as well as reducing the inboard trim line and trying a narrower span version. We will also test a few footplate designs, play around with the dive plane angle/position and gurney heights etc. There are a few rear wing bits on the cards as well all of which can be made to fit any car. It's approx 2lbs lighter than the previous wing at just under 10lbs for the assembly.

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    We will also test a few footplate designs, play around with the dive plane angle/position and gurney heights etc.
    Testing at the ARRC 2012?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169 View Post
    Testing at the ARRC 2012?
    Unfortunately not. Looking to do a full day test somewhere so I don't get in the way of everyone else! I'll swing by and say hello at some point next weekend though.
    Last edited by Brands; 10.31.11 at 9:58 PM.

Thread Information