Liked: 19

Default YELLOW Freight/ LOST 2 Engines

Fellow Racers i NEED help!

Does anybody work for Yellow Freight or know of anybody that does with any pull?
    here is what is going on ...,,,Aug. 25 pallet was picked up in Edison N.J with My 2 Fresh FV engines rebuilt being shipped back to Mi. for the Runoff's.

here is how the route was suppose to go home terminal Elizabeth N.J to Akron ohio and then the Talyor Mi.

i have the Pro number but Driver didnt put labels on the pallet (engine boxes) when he picked them up from the shipper. yellow has paperwork but NO Pallet and CAN'T FIND IT.

My shipper went to the terminal this AM to look to see if he could find the shipment its not in the terminal. They think it might have gone to Akron but Akron says they didnt see it nor did taylor. They supposely put a APB out on the freight but its not looking to good. I'm ready to take a road trip to that terminal to look myself.

IF anybody can help.....please

If they cant find these 2 Engines I'm pretty much screwd

Terry
    248-514-7255
    Last edited by Terry Abbott; 09.04.10 at 11:55 AM. Reason: title change
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 111

I am in Akron, but I don't know if they will let me just go snooping about in there. No affiliation with Yellow. Sorry. Will go look if you can get me a way in.

Jim

thanks Jim I'm trying to get contact info right now....
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Checking

I am checking with a friend that has a freight expediting business and uses them, I will see if I can get a contact high up in the organization to help.

thanks Joe !
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 5

Keep us posted on what is happening.

Liked: 78

Default I can assist on this one.

Gpierce@pra-cpas.com

Put my last name: Tovo, in the subject line.

His brother is VP for that region and will assist.

Email me if now help. Jtovo@godnj.com

If you have a pro and freight description, they will let you on the dock...supervised.

[FONT=Arial]
    [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

[FONT=Arial]First i just want to Thank everybody that has helped me so far but we need to keep the pressure on them. I have had companies that do business with YRC (yellow) call and let’s say "LEAN" on them or else. ( thank you to those that have ) and i need more like that. I have had friends, racers etc. call daily about the "Missing Freight" I (we ) can’t give up [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]here is what i know so far..... There STILL LOST ! [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]As of today it’s still in the system Red flagged with 6 people working on it? There has been many things on this that has fallen through the cracks that's for sure. the trailer that delivered the freight to the home terminal is still there so they say. and was checked yesterday for left behind shipments nothing in it. My shipper went to the home terminal Tuesday and walked through it as well as the OSD area. My Son went to the Mi. terminal and walked through, nothing. I was told that 2 people walked the Akron terminal (transfer) yesterday, nothing. They can’t even answer some of my questions i have and I'm not in the business, that is very frustrating. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]We have spoken with some upper Management ,waiting for other's to RETURN calls..........[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]E[/FONT][FONT=Arial]very day is a new day with new questions and more phone calls. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]I will update in a few days....[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Pro number for those that ask I will just it out here 114-198724-2[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Terry,

I'd suggest the highest probability of getting your mystery solved quickly is to have somebody in the trenches motivated to find this freight. That's how these mysteries get solved. I began working that end yesterday afternoon. I will be making another call for you this morning.

With morale at YRC at an all time low, (check YRCW ticker for some insight) and those still working in the trenches having 20+ years at a minimum, they know how to do their job. They will likely resent being told what to look for or how to do their job by management and will likely not look too hard. We are talking lots of old school teamsters working without a pension and paycuts.

Sorry I came to the party so late, but I'll see what I can do. Only promise I can make is I'll try my best to get somebody really good at their job to take a personal interest.

Thanks Daryl...........
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Banned

Terry Check your PM in a minute.

Gang,

is there anybody from Carlisle PA that could go to the terminal there>
    It's been reported that the trailer that hasnt Moved from NJ has indeed gone there and back since the time. and its also reported that they have large number of unidentified shipments currently sitting on there dock!

I can make the road trip in needed,

call if you can help and i will send you the info needed to get in .

Thanks
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 0

Here is another update as my dad is having trouble posting, my brother and I want to Thank everyone for their help so far and your continued support and help!

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]update[/FONT],

[FONT=Verdana]I would like to Thank Steve for going to the Carlisle PA. terminal to walk through it,but we still came up empty handed! Steve did say that when he got there that there were people already looking for it. he said it was a HOT topic. I have had conversations with the VP of that Region yesterday and he seems to be doing a good job thus far. starting from day 1 and checking with every terminal that trailers left that night and the next day, the best so far as for getting anything done.

This also got elevated to the top yesterday by my Co. President which called and wrote an email to the Presidents (yes there are a few) to YRC stating that if this freight isn't found that we will discontinue the use of YRC along with our 28 Distributors throughout the country. I would like to thank the other companies that have stepped up and called them as well. ( we can use more, funny how that gets there attention )

I will just continue to get ready for the Runoff's hoping for the phone call as we go into the Holiday weekend.

well back to work on the new awning to keep my sanity ........
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    RACING IS LIFE<br />Anything that happens before or after is just waiting

Banned

The contact I used didn't have access to what I would want to check...I have an alternate contact that should return from vacation on Tuesday.

I would suggest that they trace every shipment that driver picked up with your shipment to see if everything has delivered. It is possible that some shipment has your mixed in and is still awaiting an appointment delivery (large appointment warehouse, residence on vacation, company on inventory)

Then I would ask them to obtain proofs of delivery on every shipment that has delivered from both that original trailer as well as the trailer(s) your shipment should have moved on to the destination. We want to see if anything was signed for as "OVER" or any notes about "1 pc. refused not ours/wrong item, etc." Just because it shows delivering clear in the computer doesn't mean it did. Somebody could have missed an exception when doing the data entry.

Then see what those drivers picked up that day. If they didn't do their job and let their dispatch know that they were bringing something back that was misloaded onto their trailer, it is possible it is mixed in with one of their pickups.

You can notice how the possibilities of where it can be multiplies with every day that goes by. That's the bad news. The good news is that 95+% of misloaded/misrouted freight gets found within 2 weeks. Once that 2 week window has passed chances of it being found are slim. It could be moving on a trailer cross country and be 4-5 days before anybody even knows it is on there.

Have their central OS&D check system-wide for "OVER" or "Wild" freight that matches your description from August 25th to September 4th. Looking at this lengthy list can be overwhelming so most avoid it. It could be pared down significantly by excluding all freight found prior to August 25th.

Have somebody get off their duff in Elizabeth, NJ and Carlisle, PA and physically walk their empty line and open every trailer door to make certain that every empty is really empty. Banging on the walls to listen for an "empty" doesn't count.

Any trailers that Carlisle, PA or Elizabeth, NJ have spotted anywhere for loading at customers' convenience since 8/25 need to be checked to make certain your shipment isn't in there.

Have them pull an undelivered pro report for the destination terminal for everything shipped from 8/25 and 8/26. Everything should have delivered by now. Anything on that undelivered pro report should be physically located, no matter the reason for the delay, and checked to see if your stuff is mixed in.

Lastly, every region has what is known as their "black hole"....it's the terminal so overwhelmed/poorly staffed that they have a large percentage of lost and over freight. Other terminals know who the black hole is. Some will get a mystery pallet/crate and rather than try to figure it out--they'll ship it off to the black hole and let it become somebody elses' issue. This is heavily frowned upon so they won't cop to it----that's why they send it to the black hole---the black hole terminal will have no idea when it arrived or from where.

This is a lot of work for a shipment with a potential claim value under $2000, so they probably haven't made all those checks yet.

Best of luck and I'll let you know if I have any luck on Tuesday.

Liked: 10

Have you supplied pictures of similar crates for "wanted posters" which include color and dimensions?

Dick

Liked: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Abbott View Post
    [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]

This also got elevated to the top yesterday by my Co. President which called and wrote an email to the Presidents (yes there are a few) to YRC stating that if this freight isn't found that we will discontinue the use of YRC along with our 28 Distributors throughout the country. I would like to thank the other companies that have stepped up and called them as well. ( we can use more, funny how that gets there attention )

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Outstanding!!!!!

Banned

update?

Update.......

As of yesterday YRC says there STILL LOST !! 16 days into this with nothing to go on.

I was told that on Thursday that YRC made a Police report to the local's.

Looking pretty grim to say the least.

On a brighter side I want to Thank Dave Carr from AutoWerks Engines for supplying us with 2 Fresh Engines so my boys can go to the runoff's. Also Steve Pastore from VSR for the intakes ! What a GREAT bunch of guys. They have No idea what this means to Us. !

I havent stopped getting everything ready to go,hoping my engines would show up and Now We will be at the Runoff's!!

SWEET......
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 44

Terry

Great news that you will make the runoffs.

In regards to the statement of low moral at YRC (post #9), it looks like moral may even sink lower as Hoffa is asking for a vote on more concessions (a third round of them.) http://www.tdu.org/node/4202

I hope that YRC does find your engines.

Strange things can happen in the shipping business. In the late 80's, at Christmas, UPS "lost" a trailer load of packages on the Orland hub property for over 3 weeks. 2000 Christmas packages were delivered after Christmas after someone checked and "empty trailer" and found it was not empty. They began to open every empty trailer door only after a large number of lost package claims were being processed.

Liked: 0

So great to hear you and the boys will be making it to the runoffs, Terry.
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF
    cainesgrandad@yahoo.com · www.reynardowners.com
    "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."Roger Penske

Banned

Does anybody remember when the R in YRC (Roadway) lost the Oscar's?

Hope the motors from Autowerks aren't being shipped LTL.

no they wern't

got Engines in hand yesterday

now the fun of re-plumbing, adding sensors, etc,
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

well I'm pleased to say the YRC has found our 2 Engines

they ended up in Puerto Rico !

Dont know all the details as of yet but i heard they were trucked down south and put on a boat.

there trying to air frieght them back to me. wow the last 2 1/2 weeks, I hope nobody has to go through this ever!
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

They ought to put them on a charter.

glad they finally found them.

Liked: 30

Well SAIA has just lost one of our new karting chassis as of today. The box was 67x44x13.

Really make you wonder.

Liked: 113

With the reduced cost of GPS tracking technology engine builders may want to offer and option of putting a tracker in the shipment - it can then be mailed back when your engine is received.

Doesn't help if the engine is in the middle of the ocean though!
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Abbott View Post
    well I'm pleased to say the YRC has found our 2 Engines

they ended up in Puerto Rico !

Dont know all the details as of yet but i heard they were trucked down south and put on a boat.

there trying to air frieght them back to me. wow the last 2 1/2 weeks, I hope nobody has to go through this ever!
    Glad to know they've been found. Hope they make it back to you intact. Unfortunately there are at least 1000 lost and damaged shipments moving through the YRC system DAILY.

Quote Originally Posted by allof6 View Post
    Well SAIA has just lost one of our new karting chassis as of today. The box was 67x44x13. Really makes you wonder.
    Bummer. You really wonder until you've worked in the industry. The industry misroutes, misloads, or damages around 15 out of every 1000 shipments. May not sound like much but when a single larger carrier is handling more than 40000 shipments a day....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Silverberg View Post
    With the reduced cost of GPS tracking technology engine builders may want to offer and option of putting a tracker in the shipment - it can then be mailed back when your engine is received.
    Might be an option worth considering. However, most of them have a relatively short battery life and will require a decent "view" of the sky. Inside a box, inside a trailer with other dense stuff packed all around it might prove a little difficult.

If you absolutely must ship something LTL, make sure it is labelled correctly in multiple locations. No contradictory markings (old addresses on reused containers), no old pro numbers. Put a packing list both Inside and Outside the carton. Ship it with a carrier that won't have a ton of movements for the particular route you need. Cross your fingers and hold your breath.

Get payment in full up front for whatever item you are shipping. Ship it FOB Origin. Ship it freight collect and sign what used to be known as Section 7 of the Bill of Lading contract.

Thread Information