How'd it go?

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default Rain!

Hull
    Albani
    Stonebridge
    Parsons (DNF)

Mike dropped back. I expect he spun .... maybe got stuck.
    Ended under cauution with high-sided FV.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 157

Congratulations Forrest on your first National win! That is awesome, first of many to come I am sure.

Tom

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I was on pole by about 2 seconds. Rain started about 15 minutes before the race started and got worse through the race. I was running in front in cruise mode until the kill switch filled up with water and crap and the car quit going down the back strait. It fired again going into the chicane and then died for good on the front strait. I coasted into pit lane and with a couple of on/offs of the kill switch, the car started again. I went back out in 3rd but ran out of time as the last 3 laps were under FCY for a high sided FV.
    Forrest ran a very good race and should be proud of his first National win. I think the kid has many in the future. I'd like to thank his crew and Matt DiRenzo as they were the first guys over the wall to help me as I came rolling down pit lane "dead stick". Those guys are a class act!
    I also want to thank my crew chief/brother in law, Jim Reidinger. He worked the radio very well and was on top of the gaps as all I saw in my mirrors was something that looked like what comes out the back of a jet boat!
    I'm not sure what 3 laps of FCY without a pace car and at full race speed was all about but hey,....I've seen stranger things!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 157

Thanks for the report Mike and sorry for the bad luck. If memory serves me you were going for the Pocono National Hat Trick this year and it sounds like you almost had it.

It sucks that you guys had perfect weather Friday and Saturday only to get crapped on just as the race started on Sunday. I hate when that happens. Cant imagine driving around Pocono at those speeds in the rain, must have been hairy.

Take care.

Tom

Liked: 6

Yep, exciting end to the season! Yet another new track for him, but still, Forrest was bummed at his qualifying pace; he understood being behind veterans Mike and Joe but it galled him to have his old fellow karter Patrick Gallagher ahead of him in F500! It didn't help that we didn't do the test day and the Q1 session was black flagged early.

However the rain was a blessing since he genuinely likes it. Even after getting a lousy start (what an early green) He moved to P2 almost immediately, and worked his way into Mike's rooster tail in 3-4 laps. He sat back there biding his time, coping with a water-induced engine miss, and learning the lesson about following too closely when he was blinded down the front straight, couldn't see the brake markers or Mike's light, and drove straight onto the escape road!. Quick recovery, and he followed Mike closely until Mike's mishap. After that, he was up a lap.
    We lost the radio when feedback prompted him to rip out his earpieces (water?) so I was unable to tell him to cool it. So I'll be curious to see the laptimes, not sure he slowed much until the final laps.
    The full course yellow could've made it a race again, I think maybe the pace car simply missed picking him up? Low visibility and a grey car??
    We didn't get a chance to ask what happened to Joe Parsons but obviously some type of mechanical, too bad.
    So on one hand a dramatic rain race to end the season, on the other, anticlimactic with the small field and retirements, but we know a win is a win and are grateful!

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and sportsmanship during our debut Nationals season. It has been great racing with you all, and making new friends. Also a public thanks to Matthew DiRenzo who was just terrific all year and made the season possible. Good luck at the Runoffs!

Liked: 2

Forrest, Congratulations on a fine race...you set a nice pace in the rain, was patient until you needed to be, went for the pass and pulled it off with exceptional talent. Enjoy it with the people who count. Sorry to hear that you will not be at the runoffs...it was fun trading postions with you at the Sprints however, do well in school...

Mike, sorry to see the electrical probelems came up and bit you. I would have liked to give both of you a better race however, I was on a different program. We arrived on Saturday afternoon to shake the car down from the Glen electrical fire. We ran the afternoon qualifier to get a starting position ahead of the FV field. J. Little did not want me to race until 1/2 way, or until we met the min. requirements for the Runoffs.

Liked: 0

Thanks for the congratulations everyone, it was quite exciting. Especially since that was my first rain race on rain tires. Sorry Mike about your electrical problem, I was looking forward to what seemed it would be a close race. My dad really said it all, thanks again to Matthew, both as a driving coach and mechanic, you were indispensable. Best of luck to everyone at the run-offs! I wish I was there.

Thread Information