Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2010 FB Runoffs

Liked: 23

Default Congratulations Brandon...

Funny, I saw this one coming over a year ago. Ten years from now, myself and many others will remember who won this one.

Way to go!

Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Lane View Post
    Funny, I saw this one coming over a year ago. Ten years from now, myself and many others will remember who won this one.

Way to go!
    Brett also said he's going to the runoff's next year and he's gonna kick all ya'll asses!

Liked: 676

Default Congrats

Congradulations, Brandon. I have to say, Bama had me more worried than you did, but they came through, too. Not a bad day for the Alabama Gang. And congradulations to the class. You guys put on a good show for your first year.--Jim

Liked: 1

Default Congrats Brandon!

Congratulations to Brandon and crew! It was great to see all of your tireless engineering and development work pay off at the big race. The Citation was clearly the fastest car this year, and you guys deserved this win. Nice job.

Liked: 84

where's Wren, he hasn't chimed in after the race. I know where I'd be: 12 beers into it by now! congrats to the those guys! you can look at that car and see something special.

Liked: 91

Congrats to Brandon and Wren and crew. Great job and a well deserved National Championship!

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I'll try and edit some more later when I have the time, just some quickies for now

Liked: 3787

Brandon picked up a few more decals since Tuesday. I especially like the Apexspeed decal. Is that the first National Championship helmet paint job for Squarehead designs?
    Maybe Brandon can get a commission from Dave, if Dave can now sell those aero wheels he has advertised on Apexspeed.

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind words.

We are loaded up and rolling South toward Milwaukee at the moment.

It was just a race, but I'm still excited to be the first F1000 Runoffs Champion. I'm a believer in the class and I'll continue to extol it's virtue to those that will listen.

Congratulations to Tom and Niki and all of the FB competiors. There were several people expressing an interest in our class and cars during the week and I hope that we can add some new faces to the FB ranks as a result of our exposure.

I'll try to post some post race thoughts and recap once I sleep in a bed for at least one night. I have a lot of people to thank.

Quote Originally Posted by jjstecher View Post
    I like how Brandons one comment after the race was about the shifter given all the comments here...
    Just making good on a friendly dare/joke. Look for a photo of Firman West prinicipal Nicholas Belling wearing a red Citation hat on these pages soon Those guys are fun to hang with.

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    And now... will Wren go to Siebkins and chill?
    Unlikely. I tried relaxing once for a few hours in 2004. It doesn't suit me.

The race is over and it is time to get back to work, on racecars and at real jobs.
    Last edited by Wren; 09.26.10 at 9:51 AM.

Liked: 30

Default Congrats

Good job everyone and congrats to the Brandon and the Citation guys.

Liked: 30

Default Body Work Clarifacation

With the result of the Brandon and Toms protest clarifying the body work limits I suspect we will see a massive improvement in the raised nosed cars as they put this new information to work over the winter.

Thoughts.

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Congratulations again Brandon.

It was great meeting all of you guys over at Citation this weekend. Glad everything worked out for you guys. Having manufacturer involvement like Citation is what is making this class so unique and successful. Thanks for sticking through the rough patches and we hope to see you guys out here on the West Coast sometime.

Nicholas is already off to his next "great adventure"(!!!!). The rest of the Firman West Cars crew is sticking around for the FC race but after all of the excitement of last few days I'm afraid it might be a bit of a come down. Cheers.

BTW: Nothing personal but I've been confiscating all those Citation hats! You gotta stop corrupting our team personell! <insert smiley here>.

Liked: 707

Congrats to Brandon, Tom, and Niki. Brandon took home the biggest chunk of F1000 National Championship money. The payout is listed here:
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...808#post269808

Runoffs podium:
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 707

Cooper's 4th place finish is even more impressive when you see what his nose looked like in impound. It was hanging by a thread of fiberglass and it was presumably from his contact with Coello on the 1st lap. Would you go flat through the kink, lap after lap, if you knew your nose box looked like this?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 0

Looks like you're in need of a carbon nose Glen

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Coop, great drive with a wounded mount!

Liked: 1417

If you are wondering where the discussion on the Geartronics shift system went, all of the posts have been moved out of this thread into their own discussion post in the FB General Discussion forum.

Many kudos to Brandon and team for their RunOffs victory. And a squarehead helmet taking a National Championship on the first shot! Musta been the paint that put you over the top.

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter;270009
    Many kudos to Brandon and team for their RunOffs victory. And a [B
    squarehead[/B] helmet taking a National Championship on the first shot! Musta been the paint that put you over the top.
    It was definately the paint. How could I not win with that lid on? Thanks again Doug for the opportunity to show off your work!

Brandon

Liked: 1879

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post
    It was definitely the paint.
    Naa - it was the hidden nitrous that was all the difference!

Doug obviously used a nitrous-based paint on Brandon's helmet. The nitrous fumes slowly evaporated from the paint and were sucked into the motor air intake during the course of the race, providing a significant power boost. The gear shift system was of course reprogrammed to shift at super-human nitrous enhanced shift rates. Brilliant!

Liked: 24

Congrats Brandon and a big appology to Kyle for my last lap T5 - 0% move . A very furstrating race for me with the way it was started (3 1/2 mile split), restarted (turning off the lights at pit in with an FB getting the green first) and a monster Mucha motor.

Quote Originally Posted by JByers View Post
    A very furstrating race for me with the way it was started (3 1/2 mile split), restarted (turning off the lights at pit in with an FB getting the green first) and a monster Mucha motor.

The restart was crazy. I saw the starter putting away the double yellow and getting out the green and told Brandon over the radio. His response was, "They can't restart this race now. If they do, it will be a giant cluster." Then they turned the lights on the pacecar out and gave the green to Jeremy Hill. If I was Grant, I think I would have found some reason to protest the race results. He got screwed.

Liked: 101

Default JByers

Jason,

How about some feedback on the monster Mucha motor....enquiring minds, and all that !

Regards,
    bill

Liked: 80

Default what goes around comes around

dont worry jason, kyle had it coming after punting me off in t1, i would like to know who the bonehead official was that would not let me pass the pace car and started me first in a wounded car, i have never been so scared in a race car as when i realized they were throwing the green with me a sitting duck, jeremy

Liked: 43

Did you guys know about the second pace car that had Burkett, me, Waterman,and I think it was JR. held up just before Canada Corner. They waved Burkett by, Signaled me to stop when I went past them then suddenly gave a waving motion that I think I was supposed to know that the course suddenly went green. I didn't figure it out until Waterman and JR went blistering past me. It ruined a good battle that Burkett and I were going to have for the finish position as I was turning laps 2 seconds better then he was. It sure would have been fun to have a chance but they ruined it in all the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    Jason,

How about some feedback on the monster Mucha motor....enquiring minds, and all that !

Regards,
    bill
    Bill,
    I will let the speed-cast video speak for itself in FA and CSR when it is available to watch this Friday. If these two motors are legal then SCCA got the SIR wrong.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Did you guys know about the second pace car that had Burkett, me, Waterman,and I think it was JR. held up just before Canada Corner. They waved Burkett by, Signaled me to stop when I went past them then suddenly gave a waving motion that I think I was supposed to know that the course suddenly went green. I didn't figure it out until Waterman and JR went blistering past me. It ruined a good battle that Burkett and I were going to have for the finish position as I was turning laps 2 seconds better then he was. It sure would have been fun to have a chance but they ruined it in all the confusion.

That is crazy. I can't see anything in the GCR for a second pace car except on split starts.

I still can't believe Grant didn't protest the race under 6.6.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Did you guys know about the second pace car that had Burkett, me, Waterman,and I think it was JR. held up just before Canada Corner. They waved Burkett by, Signaled me to stop when I went past them then suddenly gave a waving motion that I think I was supposed to know that the course suddenly went green.
    The whole FCY/pace car/restart was bizarre. Chris couldn't figure out why you guys were being held behind a safety car and on the pit wall we were stunned to see the green suddenly appear. We yelled "green!" over the radio and I'm guessing that's when Chris and JR took off, about a mile behind the pack.

Now that I've just about recovered from the Runoffs and reintegrated myself with "normal" life, I'd like to offer our better-late-than-never congratulations to the entire FB field - I think the class presented itself well at its first Runoffs and attracted a lot of attention. It was our first time at the Runoffs, and we certainly learned a lot. Hopefully, we won't be quite so slow next year!
    Stu Waterman
    RMDIV
    twitter.com/stuwaterman

Default JByers

Don't think SIR.....those were on the pure Swift 016's in the field...maybe their SIR was too small.

Think 2.5 liter @ 9.0 C/R, at regular FA weight, with less aero drag.

Regards,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    Don't think SIR.....those were on the pure Swift 016's in the field...maybe their SIR was too small.

Think 2.5 liter @ 9.0 C/R, at regular FA weight, with less aero drag.

Regards,
    Bill
    Whatever his mill and aero package are, I would loose about 6 car lengths while in his tow. Jacek is not comfortable driving a low grip set-up as stated by one of his crew members and my observation.

The CSR race seemed very suspect because he was challenging for the lead and ended up in 4th

Whatever his mill and aero package are, I would loose about 6 car lengths while in his tow. Jacek is not comfortable driving a low grip set-up as stated by one of his crew members and my observation.

The CSR race seemed very suspect because he was challenging for the lead and ended up in 4th
    He certainly hauled ass down the front straight in the CSR race. Unreal.

Jason

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Being the one who worked on the aero on both the 016 FA and the CSR for I can tell you the Jacek looked for every ounce of weight reduction and drag reduction on both cars while maintaining or improving the the D/F at the same time.

BTW what did you think was suspect during the race?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    Being the one who worked on the aero on both the 016 FA and the CSR for I can tell you the Jacek looked for every ounce of weight reduction and drag reduction on both cars while maintaining or improving the the D/F at the same time.

BTW what did you think was suspect during the race?
    Mike,
    Suspect to the power advantage Jacek had with his package, I'm sure what you developed for him was to the specifications of the GCR. It's to bad he didnt put a better paint job on your work. He also found and intere$ting way around page 179 of the GCR.

Jason

Enough of this FB high-jack

Liked: 77

... He also found and intere$ting way around page 179 of the GCR.

Jason...
    He didn't "find a way". The 016 chassis is homologated in FA (and CSR). An owner has two options in FA: 1) run it in the Pro Spec form with the modifications allowed on page 179 (of the printed/January electronic version of the GCR) or 2) run it in compliance with the standard FA rules. That includes narrowing the side pods and wings to meet FA specs. Jacek chose door number 2. He then gets to choose any listed engine package from Table 1 just as anyone can with any other FA chassis.

Dave

This should probably be a new thread......but it is my understanding that at least one other 016 chassis is being developed in this manner. And as Dave pointed out, this is completely within the FA rules.

Default JByers

sent you a pm

Congrats to Brandon and Wren, it was great to meet you guys.
    looking forward to the next big event.

Liked: 14

speed trap data is now available from the results section of the runoffs page. Seems Jeremy had the fastest straight line car pretty consistently.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Interesting data. Looks like Dixon won in spite of pushing an aero brick around.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information