Liked: 7

Default No Clutch - Most likely cause?

Hi Everyone,

Last time I had the car out I had an offroad experience (Summit point main) I thought I fixed all the damage, but maybe not. Went through some gravel, grass, eventually into a dirt wall frontwards, then spun around and the back hit.

.....fast forward to this weekend at NJMP Lightning.

Somehow, my car lost the clutch from the crash, or some strange coincidence. I bleed the slave, and have good movement of the arm. But still no clutch. Tried manually pulling the clutch arm....it moves, but no luck. A new clutch was installed over the winter, so I really doubt it was a wear issue.

Is it possible that the throughout bearing, arm, or pressure plate broke? No visible outside damage exists.

I know its coming apart, just curious what everyone's best guess is.

...oh, and I finished the weekend running the car in 4th, the track was fast enough I still got a bunch of seat time and had fun!

Thanks!
    Jim

Liked: 17

I just went through something similiar at Roebling. Lost drive shifting to 5th in my FM, no drive, no crunching sound coming coming from the gear box and good movement in the slave cyclinder
    There were a number of possiblilties - stripped splines on the input shaft or friction disc or even worse.
    Turned out that the release bearing disentergrated and a few of the ball bearings jammed in the clutch cover and was holding the spring fingers in the released position.
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

Liked: 72

Depending on the pressure plate you have, the impact may have dislodged the thrust face on the plate. The original faces were held on by spring clips and come loose once in while. If you gained a bunch of free play on the clutch arm after the shunt, the face fell off.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 22

The spring clips that hold the thrust race onto the clutch arm have popped off or perhaps a leg has broken off the clutch arm. I’ve had both happen after an ‘off’.

Thread Information