Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Clutch travel 08 GSXr

I am improving the pedal position on my MX-1 with 08 GSXr. I use a typical FC style master cylinder to run the stock clutch slave. I have always been concerned about over pressurizing the plunger or pressing it too far.

Is this possible or is the slave piston and rod travel going to automatically limit within the sprocket cover/slave mount assembly? Thoughts? Concerns?

JM

Liked: 43

Default Clutch Slave

Jay,

I use the same set up on my car. I optimized my pedal location, then set my pedal stop to limit the throw distance. I set it up to stop the pedal just after full clutch release. I have not had any problems so far this season.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default What Dan said...

Hi Jay, What I did on my Novak Conversion VD RF99 was to utilize the std clutch M/C and I figured out how much pedal travel I needed by attaching the 2 clutch slave bolts by only a few threads, allowing the slave to float.
    I had an assistant push the clutch pedal down while I held light tension against the slave.
    When the slave came off the sprocket cover by about 3 mm or so, I made a note as to the position of the pedal, then fabricated a stop to that length.
    Worked perfectly...

Default 08 GSXR clutch throw

I have done basically the same thing although I never actually measured the movement. I think part of the problem on the MC style clutches is that they often have a good amount of drag and not nearly as positive a release as typical automotive clutches. When I have set it to release in the shop plus a small amount I usually end up with no clutch release in a tense moment at the track during the weekend.

Therefore, I have decided to get more aggressive in the amount of travel after initial release and am just trying to decide how much is too much.

Thanks for the responses.

JM

Liked: 80

Jay - I do as the others have relayed - adjust until I juuuuust barely get full clutch release (wheels quit turning on stands), and then set the pedal stop.You can defintely over-travel the clutch - Richard at Rilltech showed me one that had been "flipped out" once - weird deal.$0.02,-J

Default Thanks

Thanks Jake, you gonna run at HPR or is it too close to the runoffs for you?

Liked: 80

Jay -

Yes, I'll be there. Lots of updates to the car to get shaken out before Elkhart!

-Jake

Thread Information