Liked: 0

....or beer...or just for the fun of it!

I'm very interested in racing a formula car. I'd like to hang with/help out an existing driver/team in order to begin learning the ropes. My primary interest is FC, but am open to FF, FA, and F5. I figure the off-season is a good time (i.e. low pressure) to get acquainted. I can also help with off-season maintenance so I can become familiar with the car.

I just relocated to the KC area, so if you run in the MiDiv (especially Heartland Park and Gateway), and can use an extra hand this winter and in '03, let me know.

A couple years back, I did about a dozen PCA driver's ed events in a 944 Turbo. I did most of my own wrenching, so I'm not a *total* rookie [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm dying for an excuse to get back to the track (I love the smell of brake dust in the morning...)

I live in Lenexa, KS and work in Lawrence, KS.

Jon

[size="1"][ October 04, 2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Jon Hobbs ][/size]
    Jon Hobbs<br />jon.hobbs@lonestargopher.com

Have we got a deal for you!

We'll supply all the beer you can drink. All you have to do is get to Atlanta, rebuilt the car in the off season, and then, we can get aquainted during the next season. We have found that going to races is the best way to get into the SCCA.

If you ever have the chance to come to a race in the SE please look for the CFC Camp and drink a beer with us, on the house.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Liked: 605

Jon. Eye admire initiative; you have it. The prior response is right...go to your local tracks on SCCA race days and just ingrain yourself to an encampment of formula cars over and over and over - bring your own portable chair and park it there. Don't be too suprised though if at first you are not asked to do much to prep the cars...and bring them the beers in exchange for the education...it's kinda of like Tom Sawyer letting you paint his fence. Best to you.

Thanks for the advice guys. I figured that'd be the best route. Unfortunatly, the next race in my neighborhood isn't until April. Oh well....

Jon

Liked: 3787

Move south.

Just because Johnson is moving there doesn't mean that it is the epicenter of the racing world.

Move closer to Eye. [img]smile.gif[/img] Race year round.

Eye'd love to move to the land of eternal purple racing. Eye just relocated from Minnesota to Kansas. Eye think Eye might melt if Eye were to move any further south.

Now if someone were to offer me $100k a year, a purple wardrobe, and a lifetime supply of suds to be their crew chief, Eye might risk it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jon (aka "Frosty")

Liked: 25

Well, you might melt even in Kansas. We have run at an official 108F at Heartland Park Topeka. The asphalt paddock is nice for finding dropped parts, but can be really hot! There is lots of FF and FC knowledge around KC with Curtis Farley, Charlie Williams, his sons Brian and Keith, Cliff Johnson, Phil Hemes, and others. Make sure you join the SCCA and get to know people in the KC region. Watch the Midwest Division schedule(see http://www.midiv.org/Default.htm) and drop by next year.
    - Frank Chambers
    Van Diemen RF81 CF #47

Thanks Frank! I've run a couple PCA events at HPT in August. mmmmm...crispy.... On the other hand, it snowed in Minnesota this week while it was in the 70's here in KS. I'll look for you guys next spring.

Newbie question: is Curtis Farley the engine building guy? or is that a different Farley?

Jon

Liked: 25

Curtis Farley and Charlie Williams both are good engine builders and nice, helpful people.
    - Frank

Thanks again Frank. At least I didn't mistake Chris Farley for an engine builder [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jon,

You should give a look to the Mid America track too, wish I would have seen this post earlier. They just had a SCCA race this past weekend.

It's about 2hours from KC.

www.midamericamotorplex.com , not sure if they are having any more SCCA events or not this year.

Have you been to the Farley shop?

Thanks Rob. I'm definitely watching MAM's schedule. Unfortunately, I was tied up last weekend. Proximity to MAM (as well as HPT, Gateway and Hallet) is one of the reasons I was willing to relocate to KC.

I didn't realize until yesterday that Farley was in the KC area. I'll have to check them out.

Jon

Thread Information