Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Your Coop Chronicles WGI 2xNatty

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The Coop Chronicles[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Watkins Glen Int’l Raceway[/FONT]
    SCCA Double Nationals

July 11, 2010

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] It’s been almost a week and I still can’t believe it. I’ve always thought of myself as uber street savvy, but the fact remains that I was mugged (from behind) not once, but twice in one minute no less, the other day in beautiful upstate NY. [/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Understand that these were no garden variety muggings, but rather assaults of the high speed kind… [/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] Coming off a not-so-spectacular June Sprints race a few weeks prior, I was longing to get back on track (!) at a place that favors my kind of driving, ie. a little bit wild with equal parts wooly mixed in.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Road America with it’s 4 mile length and very high speed straights is 80% car and 20% driver: if your car is not set up to attain the highest speed possible, it does not matter who is pedaling the thing, you will be slow.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Watkins Glen on the other hand is basically opposite, with the driver making up the vast majority of the lap time. It felt real good from the first lap of the Thursday test day, so much so that a mere 2 laps later, we were under the existing lap record of 1:50.8.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I really love this place: I had my first ever National win here in a Formula Mazda several years ago, as well as my first lap record, and the fact that I am a native New Yorker (Long Islander more accurately, you know – the 51st state) has a little bit to do with it also. When you factor in the Formula One history, and the Grand Prix through the streets of Watkins Glen, not to mention the old Grand Prix road/street course, which was incorporate into the daily drive back and forth from the hotel, it’s really hard not to love this place.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I Heart NY, indeed![/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The test day went smooth enough, although it was really hot, mid 90’s with a level of humidity that would do Atlanta proud. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I’m not sure if it was heat stroke, but both of the other FB’s experienced engine issues, Jeremy Hill with a rod through the block, but thankfully no flames, and Tom Schweitz with a really strange issue resulting in no oil flow to the cooler, which then resulted in 330 degrees F oil temp, necessitating an engine change. Both drivers only had used, kind of miley (NOT Cyrus) engines (Hill), and unknown/miley history (Schweitz). [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Both crews went to work getting ready for the following day’s Qualies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Even with the near triple digit temps, we were on pace to eclipse last year’s FB record held by Jeremy Hill of Ontario, Canada. In my mind it’s the equivalent of the America’s Cup trophy, and I wanted it back on US soil![/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The race last year here was kind of anti-climactic, as my car’s oil pressure sending unit started to go on the fritz and was indicating to me 12 psi of oil pressure at 12,000 rpm. We were under a full course caution at the time, so I decided to try and nurse it to a finish, which it not so miraculously did. Yay.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]About an hour after the last group ran on test day, the skies opened up and it dumped rain, huge drops, with the wind at times blowing it parallel to the ground.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Now we would be left with the age-old racers adage about the track being slower the next day, due to the laid down rubber getting “washed away”.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Personally I have called BS on this theory in the past, even going so far as to ask other, higher up the food chain pro racers just how this can be.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I mean, that rubber has been smashed down into the track surface by racecars weighing upwards of 3000 lbs, with thousands of psi; how can rain falling from the sky possibly wash it away?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I’ve never actually gotten a straight answer from anyone, go figure…[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]
    The fact was that the track was exceptionally righteous, even in the crazy heat, AND after the previous weekend’s rubber from the IRL race and all the other support series were in town.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Which brings up another point/myth, the one that talks about “incompatible rubber”. I used to hear this back in my Star Mazda Pro Series days, running mostly with IMSA/American Le Mans Series, or sometimes CART. I would hear folks tell about how the times were bound to be slower, due to the rubber laid down not being compatible with all the different compounds and classes running that weekend.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Well let me tell you, I may have never driven on a track that afforded a level of grip as “The Glen” did last weekend. No complaints here![/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The rain the previous night must have pushed the weather out of the area as the rest of the weekend was much more comfortable, still a little warm mind you, but much nicer.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]We would be Group 7 (of 7) for the remainder of the weekend, meaning we’d be the last group up for qualifiers and races. As this was a double race weekend, we’d spend Friday running 2 Q’s, one for each (Sat and Sun) race, got it?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]If everything goes to plan, I like to run a minimum number of laps in qualifying in order to save the equipment from undue wear and tear. Two or three laps max, usually scuffing in a set of fresh rubber, with the last lap being the flyer, come in and get the wheels off and into the trailer to cool down.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]As mentioned previously, the Firman was rip-tastic straight out of the trailer. Provisional pole for both races, and after a thorough going over of the car, it was off to dinner.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Saturday would see us on track at about 11am for Q #2 for that day’s race. Pole was retained, about 5th row on the grid, with the next closest “B” of Hill about 4 rows back.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The race started of OK, but within seconds of the green flag flying I had found myself boxed in by the pit wall on my right, and directly ahead and to my left a pair of Formula Atlantics very early to brake. So early in fact that as I too was forced to slow, I see Hill blast right by, on the extreme left, seemingly in the (empty) HOV lane. I swear he waved goin’ by…[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I dutifully fall in line (like I had a choice, right?), and plan my getting by this pair of Grand Ma’s. Up through the famous climbing Esses where you are in top gear so early it’s like hey, where’s 7th (gear)?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The first few turns of many races is a real touchy affair, often with cars brushing each other, maybe leaving a donut on a sidepod here, or bending a front wing end fence there.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]As I’m almost back to throttle after braking for the inner loop, I suddenly get nudged from behind, and as we are already at the edge of adhesion, I spin clockwise, staying on track, actually ending up rolling backwards out of the way, onto the paved runoff area. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I actually have no idea who gave me the love tap, and in fact it mighta not even have been that guy’s fault as he might have been shoved right into me! [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I keep it running and jump back into the field, immediately passing slower class cars. Not even 8 turns later and I am coming up on a guy driving a very fast car very slowly. It’s actually more common than you would think, primarily the result of too much money and not enough talent, multiplied by an ego that dismisses the fact that there is a certain order to things, namely starting off in a class you can master, and then moving up the ladder. Unfortunately cubic dollars sometimes comes into play, and you end up with a situation that sees your humble reporter squeezed to the outside grass (“No big whoop, I got this…”), and then actually hit in the same exact spot and spun/mugged again![/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]As I’m rotating around, clockwise again, this time a complete 360, I’m changing down gears, getting ready to launch as soon as the thing is pointed in the right direction. Double yellow flags are flying, as cars are passing right on by. At first I thought this was not so Kosher, but in retrospect, I’da prolly done the same thing. In actuality I had recovered nicely, but was not up to speed. No protest, no foul.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]We remain under full course yellow with a safety car for 5 laps or so, all to get an FA out of the inner loop grassy area. Kind of hard to believe it took that long, I mean can we just get a wrecker to grab it by the roll hoop, pick it up and deposit it off to the side, away from an impact zone? Even if it was dripping and needed a diaper it should not have taken that long.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]We racer’s are a bitchy bunch, we pay huge money to do this, and take very personally any extended caution periods, which of course in our twisted little minds is a direct affront to our race laps, or deduction thereof![/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]During this 5 laps of slowness behind the pace car I have radioed Ana and ask her to look closely at the car as I drive by the pits, flicking it hard left and right. Something feels not quite right, as though the dual hits has bent something, but Ana and Young Racing head honcho Chris (“They call me Critter”…) Young is telling me over the wireless that everything looks OK.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I’m worried enough about this sensation that I decide to come in and have Critter give it a good lookover, just as they throw the green to restart the race.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Fabulous, now I’m DFL, as the leaders are halfway around the track by the time Critter is motioning me to get gone…[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I am fully red-misted by this point and can no longer control myself.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]It’s a full throttle, 3 gear blast down pit road, probably getting it up to about 100 or so before braking for the downhill right pit out turn that dumps you back on track heading right for T2. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Fortunately for me the Supplemental Regulations for this event did not list a pit lane speed limit (or I’da been a/ screwed, b/ blued, and c/ tattooed), but rather mentioned something about a “reasonable” speed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]It sure seemed reasonable to me at the time! [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I now have the track to myself, at least for 2 laps or so before encountering traffic. It is during these laps that I am finally able to fire off the FB lap record.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]In the few laps I turned in the Q sessions, I would eventually get held up by a slower class car. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The conversation in the paddock post session usually goes something like this: “Yeah I know I’ve got a :49 in me, I just need a clear lap”. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Well it just so happens that I had a :48 (1:48.7) in me, lowering the race lap record by a tic over 2 seconds. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]
    I actually know this as it happens, due to the fact that my steering wheel mounted AIM Pista display informs me of this, utilizing a trackside transmitter beacon. This technology is a huge step up from my last car that had very limited information, basically oil psi/temp and water temp.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Within a few laps I am passing cars everywhere, mostly cleanly I might add, except for one very late pass on the last lap of Young Racing’s own Jim Hallman, out of Toronto, in the ex-Liverato Stohr WF-1 D Sportsracer.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Thankfully Jim saw me at the last second and gave me enough room to squeeze by, about half a Bee’s dick I figure. I really thought I was gonna go all Bob Hannah on him and use him to slow down; thankfully one of us (not me) was using his abilities to the fullest at the Heel of The Boot on that lap…[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I end up running down about 2/3’s of the field and one of the other FB’s to end up 2nd in class, which is pretty amazing in light of getting knocked around so bad on the start.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Jeremy Hill scores the victory in his self converted Van Diemen, making it two in a row at The Glen, and Schweitz brings the Citation home in 3rd, tired engine and all.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Race 2[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]After a multi hour delay due to an earlier race incident, we finally get to run race 2, although it has been shortened to half distance, or 8 laps. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Allegedly the delay was caused when the driver kept going, even after the braking issue was known, eventually running out of “whoa” power completely and running straight off at the heel of the boot, straight through the sand trap, tire wall, and into the guardrail behind, requiring a whole slew of track workers bearing torches and heavy equipment to set things straight.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]It doesn’t get any crazier than that if proven true… Oh yeah, we heard he walked to the meat wagon for his obligatory Quack Shack, umm, rather “Infield Medical Care Facility” visit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I am gridded in the left column for this race, so I stand a much better chance at getting a good start. I don’t. I get a KILLA start, passing 5 guys on the outside of T1 and slot in right behind a trio of Atlantics and a pair of DSR’s, one of which is (yet another) Young Racing stablemate Jason Barfield who is busy slaughtering the DSR (his own) lap record from last year, by something like 4 seconds (!). [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]My wee FB can stay in the draft of the FA’s for quite awhile, but without the very generous downforce afforded by the FA’s (tunneled floors) and D’s (tunneled diffuser), I eventually loose the draft and am running solo.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Meanwhile Garrett Kletjian in the West DSR is making his way to the front, followed/hounded by a pretty impatient FA driver. I say impatient because every lap he’d try a pass, most of the time denied, and when he did get one done, he’d invariably run wide and get onto the grass. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I let them both by as I had no one to battle with, and both of them did, ahead. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]It was fun to watch, and occasionally pass the FA, especially after he got a heapin’ helpin’ of grass on the exit of the inner loop, and never saw him again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Given his age and over-exuberance, I think he might just need a little more maturity and some seat time to get seasoned. MOST of what I saw looked good. Further coaching is available by calling my 800 number, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]1-800-ASK-COOP. It might very well be the best $10 a minute and $1000 each second I help you improve that you’ll ever spend![/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The 8 laps were up pretty quick. I took the win, Hill 2nd and Schweitz 3rd.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]We had to spend the night in Rochester as the last flight out to Atlanta left at something like 5pm, right around the time we were taking the checkers for race 2. At least we didn’t have to wait for volcanic ash to clear before flying home, although that 4am wakeup call for the 6am flight was kinda rugged, not to mention getting home and going straight to work.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Hey – someone’s gotta pay for all this racing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]New feature – Coop’s Dining Tips, where with each installment you’ll hear of our dining experiences, good and bad.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]First off, and I’m embarrassed to say that in all my years coming here I’ve never had the pleasure of eating at The Seneca Lodge. Not only is it the closest lodging to the track, the restaurant serves excellent food – our steaks were deluxe. Just make sure you arrive no later than 6:30 for dinner, or you’re liable to wait over an hour and a half for a table. Ask me how I know…[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]The amount of history in this place is amazing: the barkkep told me that one year the F1 race in Canada was a week away from the Glen, so all the drivers and crews stayed there for 2 weeks solid. Much hijinks ensued.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]There’s lots of cool pics and actual F1 winner’s wreaths hanging in the bar.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]For years, Jerlando’s has been a little hole in the wall pizza joint off the main drag, right at 414. They have gone upmarket now, renovating the storefront alongside Main St into a very nice version of an old school New Yawk Eyetalian Risorante, complete with Sinatra soundtrack. VERY nice meal, and the fact that they apparently only employ very attractive young waitresses is just icing on the cake. You young single racecar drivers would do well to roll in here for a meal and possibly a phone number. Ya never know…[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]It pains me to mention this, especially after so many good meals, and I’m just praying that the real chef was out of town due to some unforeseen circumstance, but the dinner we had at the Glen Motor Inn’s Montage restaurant was very unsatisfactory. Ana and I both thought that the meal had been nuked in a microwave, due to it’s incredibly hot temperature. Both of our entrees were virtually tasteless, and after the searing temps at the track on Thursday, what we really needed was a saline IV drip anyways…[/FONT]
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I may just ask Gordon Ramsey to head up there to kick some butt.[/FONT]
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 07.16.10 at 7:20 AM. Reason: BLECHHH!

Liked: 3787

Coop,

Paste what you wrote into the box message box.

Highlight it. (Hold down the shift key, and run the cursor from top to bottom.)

In the upper left of the message box is a symbol of two blue capital As with a red X over ithem. Click on that symbol.

Presto- You're good to go. Hit the submit key.

OBTW, Don't cha just love the Glen?

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default The times - they are-a-changin'

Well, well, well.

Whoda ever thought a senior citizen racer would be able to successfully teach a (gulp) middle aged racer what most pre-adolescents know, mainly how to copy/paste/post.

Well done, Senior frog!

Thanks.

Thread Information